Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Sean Taylor dropped 16 lbs.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-20-2007, 12:44 AM   #16
hesscl34

Re: Sean Taylor dropped 16 lbs.

He'll be faster.. and hit just as hard..
hesscl34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-20-2007, 12:50 AM   #17
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post

as a mach truck. (i had to finish your sentence hess.)

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:19 AM   #18
Luxorreb
^21^

I Cant Wait For Football Season!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:30 AM   #19
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

This is great news. It looks like Sean Taylor put in some serious offseason work, which shows a strong committment to the team. I'm no physics major but I doubt the 16 lb drop in weight will affect his hitting ability all that much since his speed has increased. There have been plenty of durable, hard-hitting light weight players in the NFL.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:35 AM   #20
Mc2guy
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
This is great news. It looks like Sean Taylor put in some serious offseason work, which shows a strong committment to the team. I'm no physics major but I doubt the 16 lb drop in weight will affect his hitting ability all that much since his speed has increased. There have been plenty of durable, hard-hitting light weight players in the NFL.
Well, I was a physics major, and I can tell you that velocity is more important that mass when determining the kinetic energy in an impact. Energy increases proportional to mass but as the square of velocity. E(kinetic)=.5m(mass)x V(velocity)^2

I wasn't a physiology major, however, I am guessing that the lighter weight will make him more, not less durable. Less weight on his knees and ankles when running and less mass to accelerate when making cuts generally leads to increased joint durability, which is usually what brings these players down. That and neck injuries which is more of a technique issue.

I'm excited most of all for the committment it shows from Sean, to go that route in order to improve the team, even after knowing we went and got another safety at 6.
Mc2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #21
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc2guy View Post
Well, I was a physics major, and I can tell you that velocity is more important that mass when determining the kinetic energy in an impact. Energy increases proportional to mass but as the square of velocity. E(kinetic)=.5m(mass)x V(velocity)^2

I wasn't a physiology major, however, I am guessing that the lighter weight will make him more, not less durable. Less weight on his knees and ankles when running and less mass to accelerate when making cuts generally leads to increased joint durability, which is usually what brings these players down. That and neck injuries which is more of a technique issue.

I'm excited most of all for the committment it shows from Sean, to go that route in order to improve the team, even after knowing we went and got another safety at 6.
WOW! I don't know what to say after that.
gibbsisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #22
JDALY27
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post
Could not agree with you more! 100%!
JDALY27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:11 AM   #23
12thMan
MVP

I think Taylor was probably hovering closer to 232 lbs+, but we won't split hairs. Taylor seems to be one of those guys that will have a fairly injury free career, so I'm not worried too much about durability.

But if he was a heat seaking missle before, what does this make him now?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #24
Longtimefan
Playmaker

At times last year Sean did look just a tad slow on certain plays. Perhaps he recognized this, and took it upon himself to shed a few in order to increase his speed. I don't think it will affect the way he plays the game because he only goes at one speed....
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:35 AM   #25
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

^^ yeah that is what i was thinking. Its about 20 pounds either way. Now it has to be seen how much faster he actually got before we can determine his hitting force. I mean, if he didn't get that much faster to compensate for his loss of wieght then he will be a lighter hitter. The reason Taylor is a big hitter is because he suspends himself in air and flys at the ball carrier. He doesn't lose anything in translation. He puts his body on the line when he hits the receiver. Lets hope his weight doesn't cause injuries for him.

He doesn't need to be the biggest hitter in the league. I still think he will be but being a ball hawk is more important. Can you imagine a 4.35 Landry next to a speedy taylor?
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #26
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I think Taylor was probably hovering closer to 232 lbs+, but we won't split hairs. Taylor seems to be one of those guys that will have a fairly injury free career, so I'm not worried too much about durability.

a faster heat seeking missle? and Good morning to you 12th. how's everything?

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #27
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSKINBauer View Post
^^ yeah that is what i was thinking. Its about 20 pounds either way. Now it has to be seen how much faster he actually got before we can determine his hitting force. I mean, if he didn't get that much faster to compensate for his loss of wieght then he will be a lighter hitter. The reason Taylor is a big hitter is because he suspends himself in air and flys at the ball carrier. He doesn't lose anything in translation. He puts his body on the line when he hits the receiver. Lets hope his weight doesn't cause injuries for him.

He doesn't need to be the biggest hitter in the league. I still think he will be but being a ball hawk is more important. Can you imagine a 4.35 Landry next to a speedy taylor?
Yeah, I wouldn't look a whole lot into this weight loss considering he's not a DE or DT. Taylor is normally coming with such velocity that 20 lbs. shouldn't make much of a difference at all. If anything, it might help because he'll be coming harder and faster. Ed Reed isn't huge, but he still lays the wood like no other.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #28
JDALY27
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
At times last year Sean did look just a tad slow on certain plays. Perhaps he recognized this, and took it upon himself to shed a few in order to increase his speed. I don't think it will affect the way he plays the game because he only goes at one speed....

I also noticed his speed to be a bit slow last year. Like that lucky td against the Eagles he had the angle but missed the tackle due to not having the speed.

Taylor is showing some very impressive qualities this offseason. I think this weight drop is excellent news for Redskin fans. This added speed and quickness will translate into more turnovers. Do we really need Taylor going for the hits or do we need the ball? I love the hits but we drafted him for his interception ability along with other things. The hitting is great but its not winning games for us. He will still be able to hit when it comes time but the added speed is going to go much further than a hit.

I think Taylor should be named Captain of our entire D. He's a leader and its shows in his discipline to his body being the best it can be for the Redskins. Not easy to loose 20lbs in the offseason.

Cannot wait to see this defense in action!!
JDALY27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #29
gabe1984
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post

Have you ever seen that movie Swordfish, with John Travolta and Hugh Jackman? Well, there's this one part where the bad guys take these hostages and put these bombs on them that are full of these little steel balls, and when it explodes they shoot out everywhere tearing everything to shreads. I think that might be what Sean Taylor is now.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:12 PM   #30
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe1984 View Post
Have you ever seen that movie Swordfish, with John Travolta and Hugh Jackman? Well, there's this one part where the bad guys take these hostages and put these bombs on them that are full of these little steel balls, and when it explodes they shoot out everywhere tearing everything to shreads. I think that might be what Sean Taylor is now.

Good movie. Halle Barry too, right? Yep, that's Taylor alright!
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote