Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Do you agree with this assessment of the Skins?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-28-2004, 10:12 PM   #16
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Well said, SC. Everyone assumes the offensive line play will improve. Apparently, all they need to do is call more running plays and the line will be instantly better. I certainly hope it's that easy. We'll see.

I'm as psyched about Sean Taylor as everyone else, but some people were pretty high on Mike Rumph too. Now certainly, Taylor is touted as a much higher prospect than Rumph was. But again, we'll see.

The other aspect I'm mildly concerned about is what dropoff we'll see in pass coverage with Shawn Springs. And Fred Smoot, while a charismatic, dependable and gutsy player, will still have his fair share of passes completed against him.

Maske is correct to point out the defeciencies at D-line, but I still feel many of us are glossing it over and hoping for the best -- which is exactly what we did last year. Phillip Daniels and Cornelius Griffin are improvements to our D-line the same way Republicans are improvements over Democrats. It just isn't much different if you ask me. And there are those who say that our LB's are better -- so that means the pass rush will be just fine! .... Right?

We'll see.

I'm still optimistic, like I am every offseason, but the defensive line could prove to be more of an Achilles Heel than many people expect.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-28-2004, 10:39 PM   #17
MTK
\m/

Griffin if properly motivated could be a really nice pickup. He killed us in a game two years ago, had something like 10 tackles and 3 sacks and he was in the backfield all day. He could be a force. Or he could be a disappointment as he's been thus far in his young career. We'll see.

I think there's a June 1 cut out there waiting for us on the DL.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:23 PM   #18
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

I assume we will get atleast one more player from free agency, they really want to build the team as much as they can this year. With Moore being cut, possibly Wynn if we get another linemen, mabye Fiore if he retires...We should be able to free up some money.

I think the offense is pretty much set for next year. All we need to do is figure out the backups at running back, and the depth chart at receiver. I think our dline is goign to get more pressure no matter what this year, even if we had the same players, jsut because of the motivation and new revived team spirit.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:28 AM   #19
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Beemnseven:

After watching Mike Rumph get burned over and over again in one game, I gave him the nickname Mike Rumph "Roast". I haven't seen any reason to change it yet. Didn't the Niners trade up to get Rumph because they projected him as a "shut-down corner"?

That's why I am perfectly willing to be very optimistic about Sean Taylor becoming a premiere safety in the NFL, but I'm going to wait before I call him "great".
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 12:55 PM   #20
backrow
The Starter

Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
I agree with the assessment with the following exceptions: Smoot is young and might still emerge as a #1 CB, perhaps this season. And as for Parcells making the playoffs in similar circumstances, I'd say the NFC East was a lot weaker last season, thus diminishing his accomplishment just a bit.

On paper I believe this is the best team the Redskins have had in over a decade. We don't know exactly how the pieces are going to mesh yet but you have to like all the upgrades the team has made, especially the change of coaches. With the new players, the new systems, the new coaches, the team might struggle at first but I'm betting they finish strong. If the Skins were in another division, I'd like our odds of a wild card at least. But the old NFC East is back and it's probably going to be a dogfight ... I don't think we should underestimate any team in our division. At a minimum, the upcoming season will be competitive and fun to watch ... and there's a small but realistic chance we'll get to the Super Bowl every season from now until Gibbs retires.
Wow, Ghost! Very deep, and very true. All of that from a guy who isn't all there! (Play on your name) LOL!

And, I agree!
Old 04-29-2004, 02:45 PM   #21
kingerock
Special Teams

I think it's right on. I think the jury is still out on Taylor as with any rookie, but i expect him to have a great rookie season kinda like Williams had over in Dallas. I was saying almost the same thing about our corners in Smoot and Springs to a Cowboy fan the other day. I hope our unsung heroes this season is our dline though.