RIP Robin Williams

Parking Lot

Old 08-12-2014, 03:54 AM   #16
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I can't remember the last time I felt so sad and shocked about the death of a famous person. Robin Williams was one of my favorite actors. I loved and I've seen just about all of his movies and his comedy specials. His interview in Inside the Actors Studio was just surreal. Today is truly the day that laughter died.

Well said . RIP Robin .

Advertisements
Old 08-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #17
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

He wasn't just a brilliant comedian, he was also (in the right role) a fine actor. From one of my favorite movies:

Old 08-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #18
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

And, sad though it may be, and while he may have lost his personal battle with his inner demons, I have a feeling Mr. Williams would want the rest of us to continue finding the laughter ...

Old 08-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #19
MTK
\m/

He was truly one of a kind.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #20
over the mountain
Playmaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

as most of you have also learned from VH1's pop up videos ...

robin was the neighbor of bobby and just ventured over during shooting and just started acting funny.

his suicide reminds me that life isnt about how much money you have or how famous you are .... its about staying true to family, your individual principles and embracing the YOLO mentality.

rip good man.

edit - what i just dont get is that he seemed to be a person who embraced life. embraced the small quirkyness of it all .. like the beauty of that plastic bag just floating in the wind behind a strip mall in american beauty .. the little overlooked things were the beautiful things ... pay attention to your loved ones, take a walk, people watch ... smile at a little baby .. smile at an 80 year old couple holding hands ...didnt get wrapped up in the rat race or material things .... he seemed to get life, it seemed to embrace it, embrace others ... i just dont get it from him.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #21
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Without knowing him, my guess is that his deep demons, the ones he thought no one could understand are also the ones that drove his passion to bring comedy and laughter to others. Depression and that darkness isn't usually rational from an outside perspective, instead it is the introverted self appraisal that won't hear the reality of what others see.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #22
MTK
\m/

Depression can be absolutely crippling. Nobody can fully understand what some people deal with inside their heads.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:06 AM   #23
Giantone
Gamebreaker

This is the whole episode ,he was never better then this .....
Inside the Actor's Studio
https://www.cloudy.ec/v/f5c7091004bcc
Old 08-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #24
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

as most of you have also learned from VH1's pop up videos ...

robin was the neighbor of bobby and just ventured over during shooting and just started acting funny.

his suicide reminds me that life isnt about how much money you have or how famous you are .... its about staying true to family, your individual principles and embracing the YOLO mentality.

rip good man.

edit - what i just dont get is that he seemed to be a person who embraced life. embraced the small quirkyness of it all .. like the beauty of that plastic bag just floating in the wind behind a strip mall in american beauty .. the little overlooked things were the beautiful things ... pay attention to your loved ones, take a walk, people watch ... smile at a little baby .. smile at an 80 year old couple holding hands ...didnt get wrapped up in the rat race or material things .... he seemed to get life, it seemed to embrace it, embrace others ... i just dont get it from him.
No offense OTM but that was honestly the dumbest scene in film history. It was a piece of trash floating in the air. I still don't understand why people thing that is beauty or art or whatever...it is trash in the air. Great movie dumb scene.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:54 AM   #25
over the mountain
Playmaker

lol yeah i agree, that scene is forced and dumb and misses the mark. not sure why i put it in there.

credskins - i also agree, without knowing much at all, i think he did have huge pendulum swings from profound and intimate to deeply depressed.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #26
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I think you will find that a lot of "funny" people in your life suffer from depression. I know I have seen it. I am like that guy is depressed? He is always cracking jokes and the life of the party.

I have a new neighbor and he is like super out going one day then for several days you will not see him. His wife says he just goes into a shell. Sad nice guy.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #27
over the mountain
Playmaker

yeah, my lady is very inconsistent. some weeks she is great, but then i can just see her progressively going down for a week until she hits rock bottom and its like vietnam. its brutal to be around. it has pushed us to the brink a few times. at the very very worst, she has a panic/anxiety/ptsd attack and starts shaking and everything out of her mouth is doom and gloom.

ive told her more than once that when i see the signs she is slipping into her dark place I just want to go stay at my parents or something and just let her deal with it for the week or two she needs. no matter what i say or do to help it only makes me the target of rage.

i feel like im just being selfish and really abandoning my partner at her most desperate time of need but man .... it is tough. its verbally and sometime physically abusive. sometimes when she is in rage i literally get up and walk away to a corner of the room.

ive told her she needs help or medication but that is met with understandable resistance. no person wants to admit they are crazy. she says we both need counseling, which i am open to if it means she gets in the door but when i looked its like $150 per session. she has a lot of mental illness on her side of the family, her aunt is borderline bipolar and actually attacked her a few weeks ago when she was visiting her. i could only hope she could see the parallels of her aunt's behavior and herself but if she did make note of it, she didnt outwardly say it to me.

i think part of what drives her problems is that deep down i think she knows she has a problem .. and that only makes the problem worse.

right now we are very good but i know this will only last a few weeks until i start seeing signs that she is slipping into an episode. a month or so ago i literally had to leave the apartment bc she was yelling and irrational and i knew if baltimore city cops get called, they are knocking at gun point.

lol thank goodness the internet is anonymous (to some degree). where else can you unload some deep personal thoughts without fear of judgment, things getting thrown back in your face or speaking with a family member about this only to now have that family member judge your wife.

sorry for airing my dirty laundry. i do it a lot on here. im sure half hate it and the other half dont mind bc it makes them feel better about their own lives. i dont necessarily do it to get help or hear responses as much as just typing it helps get things off my chest. so ty warpath.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #28
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
yeah, my lady is very inconsistent. some weeks she is great, but then i can just see her progressively going down for a week until she hits rock bottom and its like vietnam. its brutal to be around. it has pushed us to the brink a few times. at the very very worst, she has a panic/anxiety/ptsd attack and starts shaking and everything out of her mouth is doom and gloom.

ive told her more than once that when i see the signs she is slipping into her dark place I just want to go stay at my parents or something and just let her deal with it for the week or two she needs. no matter what i say or do to help it only makes me the target of rage.

i feel like im just being selfish and really abandoning my partner at her most desperate time of need but man .... it is tough. its verbally and sometime physically abusive. sometimes when she is in rage i literally get up and walk away to a corner of the room.

ive told her she needs help or medication but that is met with understandable resistance. no person wants to admit they are crazy. she says we both need counseling, which i am open to if it means she gets in the door but when i looked its like $150 per session. she has a lot of mental illness on her side of the family, her aunt is borderline bipolar and actually attacked her a few weeks ago when she was visiting her. i could only hope she could see the parallels of her aunt's behavior and herself but if she did make note of it, she didnt outwardly say it to me.

i think part of what drives her problems is that deep down i think she knows she has a problem .. and that only makes the problem worse.

right now we are very good but i know this will only last a few weeks until i start seeing signs that she is slipping into an episode. a month or so ago i literally had to leave the apartment bc she was yelling and irrational and i knew if baltimore city cops get called, they are knocking at gun point.

lol thank goodness the internet is anonymous (to some degree). where else can you unload some deep personal thoughts without fear of judgment, things getting thrown back in your face or speaking with a family member about this only to now have that family member judge your wife.

sorry for airing my dirty laundry. i do it a lot on here. im sure half hate it and the other half dont mind bc it makes them feel better about their own lives. i dont necessarily do it to get help or hear responses as much as just typing it helps get things off my chest. so ty warpath.
Depression is definitely tough. My wife is diagnosed anxiety/depression. She's on medication, it helps a ton. She's fairly even keel now and quite rational almost all the time. It's like the medicine lets her be the real her. I'd suggest you keep up with the suggestion to see a physician about it, keep repeating to her what's the worst that could happen, and why live your life this way when a doctor can give you something to help.

Hopefully it sinks in. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #29
Schneed10
A Dude

That said, I never really got Robin Williams as a comedian. Definitely liked him as an actor in more serious roles. But as a comedian never found him funny. He'd run off on this schtick where he was constantly doing different voices talking to each other, really got on my nerves.

But Good Will Hunting and Dead Poet's, definitely great job.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #30
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
That said, I never really got Robin Williams as a comedian. Definitely liked him as an actor in more serious roles. But as a comedian never found him funny. He'd run off on this schtick where he was constantly doing different voices talking to each other, really got on my nerves.

But Good Will Hunting and Dead Poet's, definitely great job.
Totally agree with you. Never really made me laugh I liked him serious roles much better.

Phew thought I was the only one!