Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Redskins Training staff Should be Fired?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #16
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Re: The Redskins Training staff Should be Fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Players Union might have something to say about that but I see your point.

When Casey Hampton - - Pro Bowl caliber player - - showed up over his assigned weight in the first training camp run by Mike Tomlin, Tomlin put him in a separate part of the training camp and did not allow Hampton to work out with the rest of the team until he cut his weight - - reportedly more than 30 pounds. THEN, he made Hampton do all the fitness tests that he would have done on day one of the camp - - run a mile in less than 8 minutes and stuff like that. THEN, he put Hampton through the fitness staff until the fitness staff said he was ready for play. AND ONLY THEN, did a Pro Bowl level player get to participate with his teammates.

Please note, Mike Tomlin's team won a Super Bowl soon after that.

Please note, the Player's Union had nothing to say about that.

Please note, the Steelers do not run a training camp that is informally known around the league as a "country club camp" - - the way the Redskins' training camp is known.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #17
MTK
\m/

Let's look at the players on IR and see what types of injuries we've got:

Betts - knee (if I remember right he got rolled up on, not much you can do to prevent that)

Cooley - ankle (broken bone, again not much you can do to prevent that)

Portis - concussion (see above)

Samuels - neck (pre-existing condition)

Thomas - triceps tear (preventable?)

Brennan - hamstring

Horton - toe (ligament damage)

Rinehart - broken leg

Eddie Williams - broken leg

Jeremy Jarmon - knee

Honestly I'm not seeing many injuries here where you could say it's definitely a training issue.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #18
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
When Casey Hampton - - Pro Bowl caliber player - - showed up over his assigned weight in the first training camp run by Mike Tomlin, Tomlin put him in a separate part of the training camp and did not allow Hampton to work out with the rest of the team until he cut his weight - - reportedly more than 30 pounds. THEN, he made Hampton do all the fitness tests that he would have done on day one of the camp - - run a mile in less than 8 minutes and stuff like that. THEN, he put Hampton through the fitness staff until the fitness staff said he was ready for play. AND ONLY THEN, did a Pro Bowl level player get to participate with his teammates.

Please note, Mike Tomlin's team won a Super Bowl soon after that.

Please note, the Player's Union had nothing to say about that.

Please note, the Steelers do not run a training camp that is informally known around the league as a "country club camp" - - the way the Redskins' training camp is known.
Good stuff. That was probably one of the differences between when Gibbs was here and when Zorn got the HC job. I always said that Gibbs didn't have the best talent to work with, part of that was his doing, but at the same time the one thing I never doubted was Gibbs ability to coach. Thats part of the reason Vinny looked good to Snyder when he was part of the three headed dragon. Now you take a coach like Gibbs out of the picture and give Vinny free reign to add mediocre talent and you have the 5th overall pick in the draft.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #19
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Let's look at the players on IR and see what types of injuries we've got:

Betts - knee (if I remember right he got rolled up on, not much you can do to prevent that)

Cooley - ankle (broken bone, again not much you can do to prevent that)

Portis - concussion (see above)

Samuels - neck (pre-existing condition)

Thomas - triceps tear (preventable?)

Brennan - hamstring

Horton - toe (ligament damage)

Rinehart - broken leg

Eddie Williams - broken leg

Jeremy Jarmon - knee

Honestly I'm not seeing many injuries here where you could say it's definitely a training issue.
Training staff should have at least forced milk down the throats of Williams and Rinehart. This is unacceptable, I say fire them. Actually it wouldn't really hurt to get a new group in there. At the very least it would get the players to pay attention to the advice they were given, even if these injuries weren't the fault of the training staff.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #20
FRPLG
MVP

I always find this argument sorta funny. Somehow there is a magical "training staff" out there that has all the secrets to keeping physical freaks healthy over the course of a 16 game season in which opponents are essentially trying to run them over. People get hurt in football. It is a violent game. There's not much a training staff can do other than keep their players healthy in the "not gonna puke 4 times a game because they're 45 Lbs overweight" kind of way.

Anyways if we're looking for reasons why we've had so many injuries I'd look closer at talent levels. When guys aren't talented enough it means maybe they're out there busting their asses in a more haphazard way trying to gain an edge. Caution to the wind somewhat. You put people on the field who can't quite cut it and then they start subconsciously trying to negate those insufficiencies and I can imagine more players get hurt.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #21
SkinEmAll
Special Teams

yeah, i agree that alot of those injuries had nothing to do with the training staff, but i think a complete 100% overhaul needs to take place, down to the janitor in order for a 'new' beginning to take place. we need to rebuild starting the day after the chargers game.
SkinEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #22
over the mountain
Playmaker

agreed that the injuries this year dont seem to have a common theme or connection to them.

not like a few years ago (2006?), when we had all those hammy problems for some reason.

im starting to join the people who are calling for training camp to be held at carlisle or somewhere outside of DC.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #23
FRPLG
MVP

I do agree with the last two...total start over. Change the culture.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #24
warpaint
The Starter

There is no doubt we ran a soft camp this year Zorn let all the vets that wanted to go home instead of staying with the rookies. That right there showed that we as an organization will show favoritisim to certain players. But there really needs to be a change of culture I cant wait until we start firing people already.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #25
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Maybe they need to think about going back to Carlisle Pa. or Frostburg Md. for training camp. The conditioning or focus of this team has not been the same since they moved training camp to that circus atmosphere in Ashburn Va. This team needs a hard military style boot-camp in the summer for conditioning, bonding and focus. Marty was the last drill sergeant we had, worked them hard and they cried like babies. Too many distractions in Ashburn.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #26
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Going on for a couple of years now it seems

http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-l...nsibility.html

http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-l...tioning-2.html

http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-l...-be-fired.html

I don't think the problem is so much the lack of proper conditioning, but moreso the culture that has allowed for the lack of conditioning.
exactly

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #27
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Some if not all of the injuries are out of the trainers hands. As far as guys showing up out of shape that's on the player being lazy and the coaches to allow them to get away with it.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #28
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post

Brennan - hamstring

Hip as well right?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #29
GMScud
Swearinger

I don't know about firing the entire training staff. The conditioning thing is a two way street. The players have to put in the effort, too. The trainers write out the regimens and take the players through them, but they can't really control if the players half-ass it or don't follow their exercise prescription for when they aren't at Redskins Park. I know a few of the Redskins trainers. They are phenomenal.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #30
SBXVII
Franchise Player

100% agree. Since Gibbs2 our Training staff has been mediocre. Players keep getting injured. Pulled muscles, all over the place. One would think they are not stretching. As well as not being in shape for games.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote