Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Franchise Quarterbacks

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-28-2009, 06:53 AM   #16
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Re: Franchise Quarterbacks

I've said it before...I see hardly a player on this team who could really be considered a "Franchise" Player. We have some good solid players, but it's obvious that we have dire need at O-Line, Quarterback, and Runningback. I think Quinton is the man here, but he is gonna need help.

Blache needs to go as D-Coach. I can't stand that he doesn't like blitzing and feels that sacks are "overrated". What an idiot. He needs out of here..

Advertisements
Old 12-28-2009, 07:02 AM   #17
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I've said it before...I see hardly a player on this team who could really be considered a "Franchise" Player. We have some good solid players, but it's obvious that we have dire need at O-Line, Quarterback, and Runningback. I think Quinton is the man here, but he is gonna need help.

Blache needs to go as D-Coach. I can't stand that he doesn't like blitzing and feels that sacks are "overrated". What an idiot. He needs out of here..
Other than Orakpo, this team has no "must keep" players. You wont need to worry about Blache, he's going out with the rest of the coaching staff.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:08 AM   #18
LandrySlice
Special Teams

Yeah, Blache is outy! This has been a tough season to stomach, but a top 5 pick should be a worthy reward! PLEASE TAKE A TACKLE MR ALLEN!
Old 12-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #19
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Donovan McNabb was taken with the #2 overall pick in the draft by the team that had THE WORST RECORD in the NFL the year before. The first pick went to the rejuvenated Cleveland Browns franchise that year; they took Tim Couch.

So, McNabb went to a team with a horrible foundation around him and with a rookie head coach who had never been a head coach at any level before that.

And I suspect that we can agree that McNabb has been sorta successful as a QB, no? So, it looks as if he succeeded in spite of all the things that "were against him" - - except for his physical and mental abilities which made him what he is.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #20
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Donovan McNabb was taken with the #2 overall pick in the draft by the team that had THE WORST RECORD in the NFL the year before. The first pick went to the rejuvenated Cleveland Browns franchise that year; they took Tim Couch.

So, McNabb went to a team with a horrible foundation around him and with a rookie head coach who had never been a head coach at any level before that.

And I suspect that we can agree that McNabb has been sorta successful as a QB, no? So, it looks as if he succeeded in spite of all the things that "were against him" - - except for his physical and mental abilities which made him what he is.
I think it seems obvious though that McNabb and Manning are exceptions. There aren't a lot of examples of bad teams drafting a good QB and turning it around quickly. Obviously it is possible but it lightening ina bottle. The more reasonable way, and least risky, is to have a solid team in place around him.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #21
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I think it seems obvious though that McNabb and Manning are exceptions. There aren't a lot of examples of bad teams drafting a good QB and turning it around quickly. Obviously it is possible but it lightening ina bottle. The more reasonable way, and least risky, is to have a solid team in place around him.
Trying to do this has kind of been our problem, hasn't it?
Old 12-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #22
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Trying to do this has kind of been our problem, hasn't it?
Absolutely. We have been a a player or two away every year since Gibbs' 2nd season. Not just QB though.

At least that's what the group think was from the fans up to the top.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #23
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

The key to making a franchise QB you must build a solid group around the kid and give him the opportunity to be a leader. Do not handcuff the player, set play up to bring out his talent.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #24
GusFrerotte

The kid has it or he doesn't. I like the Collinsworth comment about how JC has just run a new O scheme every year of his career going all the way back to HS. JC has developed as much as he can and has improved somewhat since he has been here, but his mechanics of holding onto the ball too long, the happy feet crap, etc are not systemic in nature. It means he still can't scan the entire field in the 2-3 seconds the average NFL Qb has til he has to make the throw. I know the line truly sucked this season, but still it isn't 100% line. I was at the Lions game personally and how long do the guys have to keep a rush off him til he unloads the ball? To be fair to JC, the days of the true franchise QB are coming to an end for the most part when Manning, Brady, Rivers, etc hang it up. Think about it. Every playoff team in the 1980's had HOF QBs and then some. What you have now are a bunch of scrubs for the most part, that are more products of the college system they were in before they were drafted. JC is definitely an above average QB in a league that is filled with scrubs or above average QBs, but not good enough to garner the title of franchise QB. I do not expect any of the glitzy QBs coming out of college to make it in the pros, as they are all system QBs on powerhouse teams that truly did not face too much competition in their respective conferences. Big 12 is a joke for defensive play and the Gators only real competiton all year was Bama and look what happened. Bradford is going to get crushed, McCoy will be reduced to Leinhart's status, and Teebow is overrated period. Clausen is a big question mark for me, but ND QBs have sucked in the NFL after Joey T left the game.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #25
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
The kid has it or he doesn't. I like the Collinsworth comment about how JC has just run a new O scheme every year of his career going all the way back to HS. JC has developed as much as he can and has improved somewhat since he has been here, but his mechanics of holding onto the ball too long, the happy feet crap, etc are not systemic in nature. It means he still can't scan the entire field in the 2-3 seconds the average NFL Qb has til he has to make the throw. I know the line truly sucked this season, but still it isn't 100% line. I was at the Lions game personally and how long do the guys have to keep a rush off him til he unloads the ball? To be fair to JC, the days of the true franchise QB are coming to an end for the most part when Manning, Brady, Rivers, etc hang it up. Think about it. Every playoff team in the 1980's had HOF QBs and then some. What you have now are a bunch of scrubs for the most part, that are more products of the college system they were in before they were drafted. JC is definitely an above average QB in a league that is filled with scrubs or above average QBs, but not good enough to garner the title of franchise QB. I do not expect any of the glitzy QBs coming out of college to make it in the pros, as they are all system QBs on powerhouse teams that truly did not face too much competition in their respective conferences. Big 12 is a joke for defensive play and the Gators only real competiton all year was Bama and look what happened. Bradford is going to get crushed, McCoy will be reduced to Leinhart's status, and Teebow is overrated period. Clausen is a big question mark for me, but ND QBs have sucked in the NFL after Joey T left the game.
I don't think franchise QBs are going away.

After Brady and Manning there are guys like Schaub, Rivers, Romo, Eli, Big Ben who are all under 30 and are the next franchise QBs that will dominate the game once Manning and Brady are gone.

And there are even younger guys like Matt Ryan, Sanchez, Rodgers, Flacco, Henne, Stafford, etc.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #26
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

You know who i like seiously as a potential qb draft pick?
Jake Locker.
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #27
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I dont think franchise QBs are going away for good, but i agree with that poster somewhat.

Teams aren't going to want a franchise QB as much as they will want someone who can just run the offense from year to year. With the new salary cap rules, this may be born out of necessity.

I just see a team keeping a QB for 3 or 4 years instead of 10-12.....
Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #28
MTK
\m/

What new cap rules?

With the way the league has shifted to more of a passing league, I find this take that franchise QBs are going away to be laughable, frankly.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #29
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

i was talking about the rumored new cap rules...that will go in place after this season...allegedly.

Won't this limit the big signings and set aside how much a rookie can be given??

thats all i'm saying.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #30
MTK
\m/

What are the rumored new cap rules??