Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Gibbs called the final 4 plays...(No he didn't)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #16
FRPLG
MVP

Re: Gibbs called the final 4 plays..

No he simply reiterated the plays Saunders called. It says so in the article. But I agree about our two minute offense.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-24-2007, 08:50 AM   #17
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
They definately rushed their playcalling when they didn't need to, BUT thats no excuse to run two running plays from the one and not score. Only the blockers and Betts himself can take the blame for that.

And no, it shouldn't have come down to that. However, it did, and the fact that it shouldn't have come down to that is not an excuse for poor execution.

Jeremy Green is completely wrong. I understand his point about Gibbs, and I know it wasn't pretty, but how can we "take the handcuffs" off Campbell? We threw 21 out of the 29 plays in the second half (spikes omitted)!! I know we were chasing, but Campbell DID NOT COMPLETE A PASS FOR POSITIVE YARDAGE IN THE SECOND HALF UNTIL WE WERE TRAILING. He had 4 incompletions, a scramble, and a -4 yard completion before he completed a pass for positive yardage in the second half.

Theres really no defense for J. Green's analysis. He obviously didn't do any and is clearly in the wrong.
Nice post GTripp. We don't always agree, but at least you think before you type.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:00 AM   #18
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
They definately rushed their playcalling when they didn't need to, BUT thats no excuse to run two running plays from the one and not score. Only the blockers and Betts himself can take the blame for that.

And no, it shouldn't have come down to that. However, it did, and the fact that it shouldn't have come down to that is not an excuse for poor execution.

Jeremy Green is completely wrong. I understand his point about Gibbs, and I know it wasn't pretty, but how can we "take the handcuffs" off Campbell? We threw 21 out of the 29 plays in the second half (spikes omitted)!! I know we were chasing, but Campbell DID NOT COMPLETE A PASS FOR POSITIVE YARDAGE IN THE SECOND HALF UNTIL WE WERE TRAILING. He had 4 incompletions, a scramble, and a -4 yard completion before he completed a pass for positive yardage in the second half.

Theres really no defense for J. Green's analysis. He obviously didn't do any and is clearly in the wrong.
Now this is interesting actually. That number is compelling. Why is it though that the entire second hald felt like we simply were not trying to do anything on offense? Anyone have an answer for that. Anyone here in the second half actually feel like we were still running a balanced offense? I felt the entire second half like all we wanted to do was run the ball and take no chances. But it is hard to argue with 21 of 29
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:12 AM   #19
steveo395
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Now this is interesting actually. That number is compelling. Why is it though that the entire second hald felt like we simply were not trying to do anything on offense? Anyone have an answer for that. Anyone here in the second half actually feel like we were still running a balanced offense? I felt the entire second half like all we wanted to do was run the ball and take no chances. But it is hard to argue with 21 of 29
They didn't start passing it a lot until they were losing, and then they totally abondoned the run. The Redskins had a big lead at half time and they just totally came out flat in the second half.

steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:17 AM   #20
The Zimmermans
Impact Rookie

We called plenty of pass plays....if you watched campbell closely, he was checking down every time...even though moss is uncoverable deep when he is given time. Maybe Campbell himself needs to let loose and have more confidence in himself...and get that killer instinct..he definitley proved that he has the tools.

It's not panic time yet....but the play calling at the end of the game was high school level. Campbell shouldbe been ready to run a QB sneak right after the completion to randle El....instead we SPIKED the ball....gave time for the giants to set...and ran to where they knew we were running twice with our backup tailback.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:20 AM   #21
hagams
Impact Rookie

Poor Execution, Poor Coaching. Plain and simple. Gibbs does need to let Al call the plays though. I'm really suprised we didn't see a QB sneak there, but we are just the guys/girls that pay thier salaries.....what do we matter?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:54 PM   #22
Darrell_Green_28
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagams View Post
Poor Execution, Poor Coaching. Plain and simple. Gibbs does need to let Al call the plays though. I'm really suprised we didn't see a QB sneak there, but we are just the guys/girls that pay thier salaries.....what do we matter?

AGAIN Gibbs DID let Al call the plays.
Darrell_Green_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:12 PM   #23
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Saunders called the plays--this report is off.

And listen to Gibbs in his presser on this today. He said they got what they wanted, did what they wanted, but failed to execute. There was no confusion on the sideline, no panic. They got to the two with no TOs and had three plays to score. They tried a roll out pass to Sellers, and two runs over the left side where they liked the matchup (and where they scored in the first half). It's tough to sneak or to give the ball straight to Sellers without a lead block because the gints are in goal-line D stacking the line. And Sellers is a good lead blocker.

Maybe when Campbell is a bit farther along, he gets more control there and can audible to something or call his own number or whatnot. But right now those were good plays, IMO. They just didn't execute.

Could we have run other things there? Of course. And if those had not worked, we'd be bitching about that. I would have liked a rollout on 4th down, but I completely understand why they didn't. We were on the friggin TWO.

I do think they need to reevaluate the "Portis and Betts are interchangeable" thing, but that's the way they've practiced it and played it so far. From what Gibbs says, it's really Byner that has the big say there. Interesting. No doubt they'll be thinking about all this in the weeks to come. What they want is a Holmes/Johnson thing like Saunders had in KC, but I think CP is really better. Saunders has always loved Betts (and he did gain over 1000 last season), but CP is more clutch, IMO.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #24
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I'm changing the thread title, but to what?

I'll let JWSleep decide
Old 09-25-2007, 01:08 AM   #25
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

It should have something from Wedding Crashers in the title...
Old 09-25-2007, 01:27 AM   #26
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

How about "Gibbs to Betts: I have a better idea. Why don't you trip short of the goal line? Make the Giants feel good about themselves? Think you can do that?"

or "Please Don't Take a Turn to Negative Town"
Old 09-25-2007, 11:56 AM   #27
mcarey032
Special Teams

I agree with that statement about close games. I guess since gibbs is more than likely not going to finish here, then I would say that he is going to be conservative in order to see if he gets a couple of lucky breaks that can get us some victories, but it is not a way I would like to see us play.
mcarey032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #28
hurrykaine
Impact Rookie

my beef isn't with the playcalling during the last set of goalline downs - its with the playcalling in the 3rd quarter and early 4th quarter. To go 5 consecutive 3 and outs is inexcusable.
hurrykaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #29
Skinsfanmania
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Dude hit it right on the head. Gibbs needs to get the hell out of the way and let Al run it his way. I know this isn't the Al Sanders that ran the KC offense. I'm sick and tired of this conservative bullshit 1980's run it up the middle offense. Enough is enough.
There's a time for power football and a time to open up the offense. Sunday was a day to open up the offense as the Giants secondary is not a good one. They are however pretty good at stopping the run.
Skinsfanmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:55 PM   #30
GMScud
Swearinger

We should never have spiked the ball on first down. Also, we really rushed the 4th down play. There was plenty of time to calm down, let everyone take a few seconds to focus on the play and their assignment, then execute. Clock management was poor.

And I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Gibbs called those last three plays. Too many cooks in the kitchen...