Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Good eats

grew up on the gulf coast, blackened fish is the way to go

Advertisements
Old 01-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #17
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Love all sorts of fish and fish tacos.. everything from with baked with citrus salsas, blackened, fried fish... whatever
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #18
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

For what it's worth. I was asking some of the guys behind the seafood counter at Wegmans for some advice. They told me to pick up some searing flour (Wegmans Flour, Pan Searing*| Wegmans) and give that a try. I really suggest it, especially Wegmans brand if you have one nearby. It creates an awesome golden brown crust that is light and flaky. Did Scallops and asparagus with it, both were awesome.

I have a few friends that tried fish when I made it with that stuff. They all have their own bottle at home now.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #19
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
For what it's worth. I was asking some of the guys behind the seafood counter at Wegmans for some advice. They told me to pick up some searing flour (Wegmans Flour, Pan Searing*| Wegmans) and give that a try. I really suggest it, especially Wegmans brand if you have one nearby. It creates an awesome golden brown crust that is light and flaky. Did Scallops and asparagus with it, both were awesome.

I have a few friends that tried fish when I made it with that stuff. They all have their own bottle at home now.

That is good stuff, do a egg wash first then dip it in the Wegmans stuff, comes out great.

I usually fry tilipia in it.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #20
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Nice catch FD. You said you went off coast...when do strippers that size come into the bay? Also what whales were you seeing off coast?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #21
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
A little blackening seasoning is the way to go. I chopped up a gorgeous orange bell pepper last night with my scallop tacos- gave it some great crunch. I'm also a fan of fresh avocado/guacamole on my tacos, and cilantro and lime are also a must. Some fresh pico de gallo never hurts either.
When I make them I usually use tilapia with Old Bay and lime juice, then add that to cilantro-lime white rice with guacamole and pico de gallo. I might have to start adding bell peppers or romaine lettuce to give them a little crunch but they're pretty damn good either way if I do say so myself.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #22
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Nice catch FD. You said you went off coast...when do strippers that size come into the bay? Also what whales were you seeing off coast?
The large striper start to move in/out in late November or early December as the water temps start to drop into the 50's. They are probably still in the bay but the bay season is over (regulations). You then have to fish in the ocean but you cannot fish over three miles out because its then federal waters and fishing for them in federal waters has been illegal for as long as I can remember. As for the whales I have no clue what kind of whales we have seen but I did post a pic of one a guy caught jumping out of the water which I posted on the first page.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #23
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
When I make them I usually use tilapia with Old Bay and lime juice, then add that to cilantro-lime white rice with guacamole and pico de gallo. I might have to start adding bell peppers or romaine lettuce to give them a little crunch but they're pretty damn good either way if I do say so myself.
Try using shreaded cabbage instead of lettuce. Im not a cabbage person but for fish tacos its great. You can buy it in the bag but I perfer to get a head and shread it myself.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #24
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Try using shreaded cabbage instead of lettuce. Im not a cabbage person but for fish tacos its great. You can buy it in the bag but I perfer to get a head and shread it myself.

I love fish tacos but if you ever have one in San Diego at a road side stand you will never want one other then there.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #25
firstdown
Living Legend

All this talk about fish tacos has me wanting some. I'm going to try using the striper and blackening it to see how that works.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #26
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Is there anything better than fish tacos? I just had some for dinner tonight.

Nice haul FD.
No there isn't. Fish Tacos are seriously the best food invented.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #27
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
The large striper start to move in/out in late November or early December as the water temps start to drop into the 50's. They are probably still in the bay but the bay season is over (regulations). You then have to fish in the ocean but you cannot fish over three miles out because its then federal waters and fishing for them in federal waters has been illegal for as long as I can remember. As for the whales I have no clue what kind of whales we have seen but I did post a pic of one a guy caught jumping out of the water which I posted on the first page.
oh shit i missed the pick. looks like a humpback, thats effing rad, didnt know they showed up round there.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #28
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
oh shit i missed the pick. looks like a humpback, thats effing rad, didnt know they showed up round there.
I have seen them before but not like this year and the Blue Fin Tuna running close to shore is something that only happens every so many years. I think both are comming in to feed on the large schools of menhaden. The menhaden are so thick we will be in 60' of water and my depth finder will read 20' because its hitting the large schools of fish. We also get seals in the area but I have only seen them a few times.Your more then welcome to come down and go out.

Last edited by firstdown; 01-11-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #29
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
BBQ'd humpback whale ribs are da bomb!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #30
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
BBQ'd humpback whale ribs are da bomb!!!
Maybe in Japan
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote