I have a Roku, love it

Advertisements
Old 05-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #17
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Re: Making the Switch from Cable to just Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Yeah there are kind of a couple ways to get around it but it requires buying something that costs as much as google tv (300ish) or flipping back and forth from inputs (which takes away from the integration whole point).

Also just read this (good comments here too):

http://gigaom.com/video/google-tv-2-0-honeycomb-arm-android-market/

Which makes me want to wait anyway until other kinks are worked out, its possibly cheaper and its also made for people who don’t want to have cable.... It still sounds good, but perhaps a little rushed by google the first time around, hopefully theyll role out with something a little better later this year.

So at this point im thinking the easy initial way to go for me is to start out trying apple tv or roku.
Yeah, I think the Roku is probably your best option.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #18
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I have seriously thought this out even bought some over the air antenna to see what I got.

My thought was OTA antenna on each TV, main TV gets PS3, add TIVO for DVR service, and Roku boxes on all the other little TV's.

What holds me back is sports, there is really no good live streaming sports. the lost of MASN, ESPN, Comcast Sports Net, etc... is the deal breaker.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #19
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Ive been a little slow with things, but i got the internet a couple weeks ago and i have a xbox 360 hooked up to the tv for pretty much just netflix. I got the 5/15 download upload speed which is fast enough to play around on your laptop (even videos) and have the netflix going on your tv.

I got a roku xds today so ill be playing with that tonight and tomorrow. Everything ive read about hulu plus seems to make it sound like hulu plus completely sucks. Anyone use playon to get hulu on their tv through a roku or something else? Like it? Use it for other stuff then just hulu?

After i get the roku situated ill be buying a hdtv antenna next. I havent decided if ill go with a outdoor unit or not yet. Im in the city so reception shouldnt be a concern but i already have coax cable running throughout my house so it wouldnt be but a hour maybe 2 to install a antenna......

On a personal note, the biggest change ive noticed is that unless I want to watch something in particular I don’t turn the tv on, its too much of a hassel to fire it up just to put a show on that you have to devote your full attention to since there are no commercials. I think that’s a plus since Im not just watching tv for the sake of watching tv. The major down side is that I havent really watched any news in over a month…. I really miss The Fox Report.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #20
MTK
\m/

I've got Hulu plus through the Roku and it's great, no complaints. I also use Hulu plus on the iPad.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #21
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I heard that hulu plus on your tv has less content then regular hulu viewable from your computer?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #22
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I will have to say Hulu Plus compared to Netflix streaming sucks. The ADs are awful it freezes up all the time. IT rarely saves my place if I stop a show mid way. It was just plain awful.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #23
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I got playon added to the Roku and it is the awesome. Definitely one of the best channels. Honestly when i first got the Roku i thought it kind of sucked; it was just a way to watch netflicks without firing up the xbox. Playon does what i thought the Roku was gonna do by itself, definitely a must add channel. The only thing that sucks about it is that you have to have your computer on when using it. Also all the channels within playon dont seem to be fully developed yet and aren’t always all that well categorized or can be difficult to navigate.

Matty do you have it? If so id like to know any differences between Hulu+ and the Hulu embedded in the playon.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #24
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I thought this was a good read for those thinking to switch. Comcast and company i nthe near future are going to make it harder and harder to pull this off, as long as they are also your internet provider.

Studios are starting to play hardball with Netflix - Jul. 11, 2011
Old 07-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #25
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I got playon added to the Roku and it is the awesome. Definitely one of the best channels. Honestly when i first got the Roku i thought it kind of sucked; it was just a way to watch netflicks without firing up the xbox. Playon does what i thought the Roku was gonna do by itself, definitely a must add channel. The only thing that sucks about it is that you have to have your computer on when using it. Also all the channels within playon dont seem to be fully developed yet and aren’t always all that well categorized or can be difficult to navigate.

Matty do you have it? If so id like to know any differences between Hulu+ and the Hulu embedded in the playon.
No I don't, I'll have to check that out.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:11 AM   #26
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Not surprising, still cheaper than cable but certain to upset many people I'm sure

Want Netflix DVDs & Streaming? That'll Be $16 a Month
Old 07-13-2011, 08:26 AM   #27
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Not surprising, still cheaper than cable but certain to upset many people I'm sure

Want Netflix DVDs & Streaming? That'll Be $16 a Month
like this guy, i highly dout i will be using netflix much longer, and it seems like i'm not alone
Technolog from msnbc.com - Thousands threaten to quit Netflix

here's the email netflix sent me
Quote:
We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $11.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs (including Blu-ray access) will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs (including Blu-ray), 1 out at-a-time (no streaming)
for $9.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $17.98 a month ($7.99 + $9.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.
weeeeaaaaaaakkkkkkkk

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #28
MTK
\m/

I've been using the streaming only option for a while now. I definitely won't be going back to discs with this price hike.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #29
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I've been using the streaming only option for a while now. I definitely won't be going back to discs with this price hike.

For disk I have been using red box. Look it up on line reserve then go pick up, WIN! Only lost is when you are either picking up or returning some jack nut is there reading the description of ever movie and can't pick anything. So you are stuck behind him.

I love the folks who rent like 12 movies at one time, seriously you are going to watch all that in a night? Plus they are always saying it is only a buck why not.

ALSO! Redbox is now renting games as well!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #30
MTK
\m/

I use Amazon on demand through the Roku for movies. I'm really not a plan ahead kinda guy for what I want to watch.