Happy Great American Smokeout Day!

Parking Lot

Old 11-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #16
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: Happy Great American Smokeout Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
BJs are basic wifely duties and they are non-negotiable. You better man-up before she forces you to start wearing the skirt in the house.
Boy do you have allot to learn when you finally get married.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
Good job matty, first and solid.

i have been smoking since i was about 12, i quit for about 2 years back in 2002 ish i didnt have one smoke or drag cold turkey, then i moved back to Maryland from stress free california, got a stressful clerkship job, was living with my parents, would often find myself going to chiles were a few HS friends worked bar, ended up bumming a drag here and there which turned into people just giving me a cig to me just buying a pack.

i tried to quit again a few years ago, went thru major chemical withdrawls this time, something i didnt feel so strongly the first time. i only lasted 1 excruciating week til i had to go back to smokes so i could cont my job.

i am convinced that Phillip MOrris increased the level of nicotine (or whatever drug causes addiction) in response to the increasing trend of people being able to quit smoking. i think they tried to make it harder. if this theory of mine is true, i wil be the first to sign up for the class action lawsuit.

i really really want to quit but given how debilitating it was last time, i cant afford to miss time from work or not be on point at work.

sometime after i get moved and settled into my new home and before my first child is born i will renew my commitment to quit. this time with some kind of prescription or drug to help fight the chemical urges/withdrawl.

well, yet another long, winding post from me. im working on it.
Try chanix it helps take the edge off. If I can quit anyone can and my buddy who just quit is also using Chanix. Its not cheap but its cheaper then smoking. I know it sounds stupid but find some sort of support to help you through the tough times. It also helps if you can convince yourself that smoking is nasty, dirty, stinks, etc... and think that every time you see someone smoking. You don't have to say that to people smoking just think aboout how nasty it is. Before when I tried quiting I see someone smoking and only wished to have one which made it tough so flip it around.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #18
over the mountain
Playmaker

yeah, thats how i did it the first time for 2 straight years without a single drag. i declared war on cigarettes, really pissed me off that a foreign chemical had more control over my body than i did. you def need the proper mindstate. i had it at one time, had it again for my second attempt but the chemical won.

thanks for the tip on chanix, when i am ready ill probably pm you some questions about it and your experience.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #19
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
yeah, thats how i did it the first time for 2 straight years without a single drag. i declared war on cigarettes, really pissed me off that a foreign chemical had more control over my body than i did. you def need the proper mindstate. i had it at one time, had it again for my second attempt but the chemical won.

thanks for the tip on chanix, when i am ready ill probably pm you some questions about it and your experience.
I told my wife when we had our daughter I would quit smoking. Our daughter is alomost 4 and I quit smoking about 9 months ago. You have to be ready to quit or your waisting your time.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #20
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Boy do you have allot to learn when you finally get married.

He is always throwing out marriage advice yet not married, hmmm...
Old 11-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #21
MTK
\m/

I've heard that Chantix can have some scary side effects including depression and suicide.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #22
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

There are some crazy impacts Chantix can have on your brain. I would recommend NOT using it. It basically alters the flow and reception of neurotransmitters.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #23
MTK
\m/

I know it's easier said than done, but in the end good old willpower is always your best cure.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #24
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
He is always throwing out marriage advice yet not married, hmmm...

One does not have to have killed a man to know how to kill a man as evident by the fact that there are lots of first time murderers out there in the world.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #25
firstdown
Living Legend

Yes Chanix does have some adverse affects on some people but all it did for me was give me some crazy dreams. I made my wife aware of the side affects and we just both watch out for them. I only took chanix for about 8 weeks then I did it on my own. I don't know if the chanix was the reason I could quit or that I was totally ready to quit. Does not matter now.

You guys have a good weekend I'm headed to the boat to meet a few buddies and go fishing tonight. So I'm out of here.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #26
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
One does not have to have killed a man to know how to kill a man as evident by the fact that there are lots of first time murderers out there in the world.
But one has to have been married to know that it does not work out the way we think it will go. Many a man has tried and many have failed. Your just the next in line to give it a try. Of course this does not apply to my wife.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #27
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
But one has to have been married to know that it does not work out the way we think it will go. Many a man has tried and many have failed. Your just the next in line to give it a try. Of course this does not apply to my wife.
It's all in your expectation. If you expect peaches and cream for life you're going to have tough time eating the occasional sour grapes.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #28
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I've heard that Chantix can have some scary side effects including depression and suicide.
Most meds that work on chemical imbalances and what not have those type of side effects. It's the same type of side effects that you might incur if you were taking anti-anxiety or anti-depressants. Like FD said, I think it depends on the person and perhaps the amount you're taking, I have a friend that used Chantix and she did fine on it... And whoever said Chantix makes smoking nasty to you, she eventually stopped taking it because it not only turned her off of cigs, but it turned her off of weed as well. She couldn't make it without her weed.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #29
over the mountain
Playmaker

well, i was looking for that "hey look at me I quit smoking cigarettes for a day" thread because, hey look at me i quit smoking cigarettes for the past .. 6 hours? WTF it feels like ive gone a good day, atleast a half day. hadnt had one since 9 am.
shit ive only gone 6 hrs and 25 mins? **** never mind, ill wait another 5 hrs and 35 mins before i demand my obligatory electronic pat on the back and a few words of encouragement from a collection of internet people ill never know.

you ever notice the people who start those "im quitting smoking" threads never tell you when they failed.

anyways, im going to buy some nicirette gum. i feel good, i feel like i have to do it. just saw the sonogram of the baby, we are 14 weeks and 6 days along so i have to do it. but the nicorette might help,

im alil on edge. i could probably use a lil help . .
Old 10-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #30
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

8 years clean for me.
I think I started in 1973.