Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Headphones

Parking Lot

Old 12-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #16
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: Headphones

Great stuff guys! I did not not know some of this stuff was out there.....
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #17
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Bose is really overpriced and not worth it.
Everything Bose sells is over price. Nice stuff but over priced.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #18
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Amazon Amazon

Regular ear buds fall out on me when im running or moving a lot, these have clips that make it completely worry free. I also personally think ear buds can be bad for your hearing (just my opinion) so i usually wear these a little loose, which you cant do with regular ear buds. I also think these are much more comfortable than just plain ear buds you see all the kids wearing.

The cord is also extra long which is something else very important to me when i work out. I prefer to hold my phone/music player in my hand when running and drop it in my pocket when im walking, warming up, doing pushups, stretching, riding a bike, mowing the grass or whatever else. I wear my shirt over the cord so it isnt flying around everywhere. I have an arm band but once I put my phone in it I cant really check my pace, time myself accurately when running or change/skip a song on my playlist or pandora station without slowing down. Plus once im cooling down or taking a break I can easily start play around w my phone without having to remove it from my armband. Basically I have an armband I don’t use if anyone wants it.

I think these sound pretty good, but not great. I dont think ive have ever used a ear bud with great sound though. These sound as good or better then the any other ear bud ive used. The only time i personally want good sound is when im taking a break or half assing it. When im working hard i just need something to keep me going.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #19
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Beats by Dre but expensive
Old 12-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #20
firstdown
Living Legend

Good timing on this thread. I dusted off my drums and I'm starting to play them so I need a good set of headphones so I don't have to blast the music. I know my neighbors will be happy that I stop blasting the music but I cannot do anything about the bad drumming (not sure if drumming is even a word)..
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #21
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-AS20J.../dp/B0015AHRFK

Regular ear buds fall out on me when im running or moving a lot, these have clips that make it completely worry free. I also personally think ear buds can be bad for your hearing (just my opinion) so i usually wear these a little loose, which you cant do with regular ear buds. I also think these are much more comfortable than just plain ear buds you see all the kids wearing.

The cord is also extra long which is something else very important to me when i work out. I prefer to hold my phone/music player in my hand when running and drop it in my pocket when im walking, warming up, doing pushups, stretching, riding a bike, mowing the grass or whatever else. I wear my shirt over the cord so it isnt flying around everywhere. I have an arm band but once I put my phone in it I cant really check my pace, time myself accurately when running or change/skip a song on my playlist or pandora station without slowing down. Plus once im cooling down or taking a break I can easily start play around w my phone without having to remove it from my armband. Basically I have an armband I don’t use if anyone wants it.

I think these sound pretty good, but not great. I dont think ive have ever used a ear bud with great sound though. These sound as good or better then the any other ear bud ive used. The only time i personally want good sound is when im taking a break or half assing it. When im working hard i just need something to keep me going.
I had a pair like that for running, but they still wouldn't stay in very well and dealing with the cord, even under my shirt, drives me nuts. I run with no music, kinda sucks but I also find it relaxing and now it's just what I'm used to.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #22
That Guy
Living Legend

you can actually get custom molded ear pieces... we do it all the time for musician in ears... very loud, very good response, but the custom molds are 300-500 or so and the shure headphones you connect them to can be up to 100 extra.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #23
djnemo65
Playmaker

Amazon.com: Klipsch IMAGE S4 In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphones (Black): Electronics

These are fabulous, my first pair were stolen this summer and I bought them again.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #24
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
no highs, no lows... it's bose!

head on over to AVForums.com Home or Head-Fi.org: Headphones, iPod earphones, portable audio, MP3 players, high-end audio

tell them what you like.. budget, they'll give you some really good recommendations

like for me I can't wear the in-ear style ones because of cauliflower ear
I agree. I bought that pair and all 3 or 4 of the plastic ear bud molds were extremely uncomfortable. Certainly not good for working out. Sound was average as well.

You can get a pair of these Sony's at Target or Best Buy in the $79 range ($56 on amazon). Very comfortable and great full range sound for ear buds. Great reviews as well.

Amazon Amazon
If you're ever looking for at home listening though for your computer or ipod then studio headphones in the $60-$100 range would serve you well but I recommend the sony's if you're going with ear buds.

Also if anyone wants to go the studio route I've heard good things about Sennheiser
Sennheiser HD428 Closed Back Around the Ear Headphone: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

Also if you ever go up in budget DO NOT get Beats headphones. Every Best Buy I go to half the pairs are snapped or broken. Not worth the $300.

Quote:
Yes! I work in a retail support position and the two Best Buy stores that I service both have the Dr. Dre displays with the headphones on them and they are very fragile! One has gone through 3 pair of them in a matter of weeks and they are to the point of pulling the display.

I wouldn't spend the money on them.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 12-01-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #25
That Guy
Living Legend

shure and sennheiser are always safe bets. that's actual pro gear, not imitation branding like bose or beats.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #26
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

I've had a pair of Beats over ear headphones for about a year or so, I use them for business travel at least twice a month and they've not broken or had any issues whatsoever. I think the issues with durability at Best Buy has more to do with the knuckle dragging clientele than the product...

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #27
MTK
\m/

I got a pair of these a while back

Amazon.com: Audio Technica ATH-FC700A Portable Headphones with 40mm Neodymium Drivers, Black: Electronics

They sound great and they won't break the bank, good value
Old 12-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #28
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
I've had a pair of Beats over ear headphones for about a year or so, I use them for business travel at least twice a month and they've not broken or had any issues whatsoever. I think the issues with durability at Best Buy has more to do with the knuckle dragging clientele than the product...
But at the same time the display headphones at Best Buy aren't really in a position to be broken. I mean they're stuck to that display so they never have to be stored in a book bag, duffle bag, or laptop case. People also aren't allowed to walk around with them and they're never exposed to the elements. Basically it's always a bad sign when an extremely controlled display model can't handle regular use.

Based on reviews I've read of the product you are very lucky and in the future if I ever decide to have kids I would trust you to baby sit them. In fact that should be the test for parenthood. How long can you keep a pair of Beats headphones without them breaking. One year and you reach platinum status.

With that said, little doubt they sound good. Though I haven't listened to them for more then a few minutes at a time. I imagine my ears would be ringing after a 2 or 3 hour trip from the bass response.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #29
saden1
MVP

I have ableplanet headphones....for what it cost you won't find better headphones out there. What I really love about them is that they run on pair of replaceable 3A battery and they work with or without noise canceling. Thier customer service is awesome too...I lost the cover for the battery compartment and they shipped it right over for free. Oh and they are better than the beats headphones.

Amazon.com: Able Planet Sound Clarity Active Noise Canceling Headphones: Electronics

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 12-01-2011 at 06:05 PM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #30
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
But at the same time the display headphones at Best Buy aren't really in a position to be broken. I mean they're stuck to that display so they never have to be stored in a book bag, duffle bag, or laptop case. People also aren't allowed to walk around with them and they're never exposed to the elements. Basically it's always a bad sign when an extremely controlled display model can't handle regular use.

Based on reviews I've read of the product you are very lucky and in the future if I ever decide to have kids I would trust you to baby sit them. In fact that should be the test for parenthood. How long can you keep a pair of Beats headphones without them breaking. One year and you reach platinum status.

With that said, little doubt they sound good. Though I haven't listened to them for more then a few minutes at a time. I imagine my ears would be ringing after a 2 or 3 hour trip from the bass response.
i do not babysit. lol. I hated paying that much for headphones, but i was trapped in an airport for a 5 hr flight delay one time and bought 3 dvd's and needed some. So now I'm very careful with those expensive bastards.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote