F...TVs

Parking Lot

Old 09-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #16
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: F...TVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Really? I only know two people who bought Panasonic and both TVs ended up being duds. Between me, my mom/stepdad, dad/stepmom, we've got a Sanyo, a few Sony's, and Sharp, and a few Vizio's, and they are all excellent. Based on my friend's experience, I'll avoid Panasonic like the plague. Come to think of it, I've never owned anything Panasonic that I've liked particularly.
Check consumer reports. Panasonic is consistently rated highest across just about any electonic category, from plasma TVs, to audio receivers, to whatever.

Advertisements
Old 09-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #17
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Check consumer reports. Panasonic is consistently rated highest across just about any electonic category, from plasma TVs, to audio receivers, to whatever.
That's fine. I'm just going off of personal experience, as well as the two stinker TVs my friends bought recently. I haven't owned a lot of Panasonic stuff in my life, but I have had some audio equipment over the years. None of it was more memorable than any other brand. I'll take the Bose sound system I have now over anything else out there.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #18
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
LOL! This sounds like a white trash fight between Ford vs. Chevy. Is fighting over which TV brand the yuppie version of the ford vs. chevy fight!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #19
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
LOL! This sounds like a white trash fight between Ford vs. Chevy. Is fighting over which TV brand the yuppie version of the ford vs. chevy fight!
Hey I'm not saying Panasonic sucks or anything. I just may think twice before buying one based on friend's experiences. I'm sure they have plenty of quality products.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #20
mredskins
Gamebreaker

^ GM I am just teasing, thanks for your help earlier. I too have always thought of Panasonic as a cheaper brand but honestly I am not in the know about TVs, I just want the fing thing to work! =)

For the record I thought of Phillips as crappy too but my wife was like I love the lights on the side! I want to get a Sony, she got a big told you so this morning.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:03 AM   #21
saden1
MVP

Statistically speaking you'll always have duds so that's not something to base your rating of a product on. It should be based on the features vs price of a fully functioning product. As for the Panasonic brand, I would wager that they are less prone to defect than most brands out there.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:08 AM   #22
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Just curious, is plasma that much better than any other flat tv? (i have 36 inch Sony CRT - works just peachy - only 6 years old though).
When it comes to color representation no one comes close (maybe OLED TVs but that will cost you $$$). Plasma TVs are also better able to represent blacks and whites more closely than LCD and CRT.

-Jenkins
Old 09-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #23
mredskins
Gamebreaker

saden1=TV nerd

Are you really pale, don't get out much, have a beer gut? You maybe a TV nerd, we can help. =)
Old 09-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #24
FRPLG
MVP

3.5 years on a plasma isn't really all that short of a time to have a problem. Certainly it could be longer but I think every manufacturer is going to have some individual products come off an assembly line and bust within 4 years. And you cannot compare CRTs to plasma or LCDs. It's like comparing a '65 VW Bug to a '05 Lexus. Lots more "moving" parts.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #25
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Update: I called GM's guy and he said he may be able to fix but would probably be i nthe 200 to 300 range, very nice guy and was willing to work with me considering I had to drive 60 miles to him. So now I am thinking maybe I jsut replace it but it looks every damn TV breaks if you google Phillips tons of people pisssed, google Sony tons of people pisssed, google Panasonic tons of people pissed. I guess basically don't expect your TV to last longer then maybe 5 years.

I will take suggestions I want a 42 inch HD TV in the price range of 600-800 bucks. Any ideas?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #26
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
saden1=TV nerd

Are you really pale, don't get out much, have a beer gut? You maybe a TV nerd, we can help. =)

Don't get it twisted homie, I've been in Vegas since Thursday. And yes, I am a TV nerd. You say it as if it's something to be ashamed of.

-Jenkins
Old 09-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #27
mredskins
Gamebreaker

^ LOL! We all got love something!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #28
saden1
MVP

Yes, some of us finer things.

-Jenkins
Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #29
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
$3000 for a 42 inch TV? I paid $400 for my 38 inch HDTV. Granted it's not plasma.. I've seen big screen (50 inch+) HDTV's go for far less than that...

Is the plasma the only thing that's kicking up to $3000??
I paid $800 for my 42" Samsung HD. Still working perfect after years and it was a floor model.

The reason I will not buy a plasma is right here...they're basically disposable TVs. My rear projection has a good enough picture, but has replaceable parts.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #30
firstdown
Living Legend

I'd think a $300 repair bill for a $3,000 TV is not that bad. I'm still kind of stuck on the $3,000 TV thing. If I did not have direct TV I would have had to buy those converter boxs for all of my TV's. I'm just one of those if it is not broke why buy a new one. We did have one TV go out but my parents had just purchased a large flat screen and gave us their 36 or something TV that has a good picture. I do like the HD stuff out but I just do not watch enough TV to run out and spend a grand on a TV.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote