There goes the neighborhood - Tunisia Edition

Debating with the enemy

Old 10-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #16
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: There goes the neighborhood - Tunisia Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
No, that is not the problem with me, the people that I know and I do not believe this country as a whole. I doubt that is the problem in the UK, France as well. And at what time does discrimination and intolerance open the door for mass murder.....Repeatedly and unendingly in the name of Allah??
I am tired of the terrorist nature of the Jihadist hiding behind some idiotic pretense of the Islamic religion while they bomb, execute and maim innocents (Oh and I left out "behead" on the internet) without regard to woman...and even children. That is the problem with the......Peaceful nature of the Muslim....
Do all Muslims fit in that category...NO. I am sure they are but a small percentage, but they are being allowed to speak and act for the many millions that are truly peace loving.
I personally could care less who you are or what you believe. Be a good neighbor, Don't kill people, Don't F.. with anybody...have a nice day.
I agree that Islamic terrorism is a terrible scourge.

But what was mentioned above is something different: local neighborhood anti-Coptic repression in Egypt and similar realities. This problem is structurally similar to mosque burnings in Tennessee. It is a problem of local intolerance rather than global terrorism.

In the end I agree with you. Violence resulting from religious intolerance has no place in any society.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #17
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
i agree that islamic terrorism is a terrible scourge.

But what was mentioned above is something different: Local neighborhood anti-coptic repression in egypt and similar realities. This problem is structurally similar to mosque burnings in tennessee. It is a problem of local intolerance rather than global terrorism.

In the end i agree with you. violence resulting from religious intolerance has no place in any society.
^^^^^^^^^
httr.....
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #18
Gary84Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
As Hog1 mentioned, all Old Testament verses you're quoting. Nothing but contrasts in the New Testament.

Try being a Jew or Christian in the Muslim "democracies". Hint; do a little research on the Copts in Egypt.
Copts in Egypt are nothing like evangelicals in America. Two totally different religions.
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #19
Gary84Clark

This is a nut case thread in my opinion.

allow me to quote Lil Wayne Carter IV "gorillas in suits, the holy war the spiritual troops, fighting over the mythical truth, drowning in the political soup, they shoot missile and nukes, taking out such a pivotal group, the body count is the physical proof, and they thought drugs were killing the youth" hahahaha
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #20
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Wrong then...........Wrong now....
How exactly is it wrong?
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #21
Hog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
How exactly is it wrong?
That persecution and violence in the name of religion will always be wrong.....
Old 10-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #22
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
That persecution and violence in the name of religion will always be wrong.....
Ahh...misunderstood what you were saying.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:45 AM   #23
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
You realize that the old testament is viewed as a "Historical" record and the New is viewed as the information with which to live your life......
you realize that randomly quoting the koran or whatnot and assuming literal interpretation and then using selective interpretation on the other holy book is is a bit convenient though...

look! they're saying awful things! I mean, we say awful things too, but we don't mean it.

besides, if you're looking for muslim oppression of competing religions, you should cite spain where they started with equality and then systematically took away all the rights of those that would not convert. Funny that that's the same country that created the inquisition - I guess religious tolerance just wasn't part of the local geography.

Intolerance is intolerance and it's wrong regardless of who's in charge. saying islam isn't compatible with democracy is a real stretch and unless you've actually studied a koran or go to a mosque, I'd be careful about randomly couched quotes with no context of whether they're widely taught by the moderates of that religion.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #24
That Guy
Living Legend

by the way, when the black plague hit europe, do you know the first thing they did?

they started killing jews. Those christians just can't be trusted :P
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #25
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
Intolerance is intolerance and it's wrong regardless of who's in charge. saying islam isn't compatible with democracy is a real stretch and unless you've actually studied a koran or go to a mosque, I'd be careful about randomly couched quotes with no context of whether they're widely taught by the moderates of that religion.
A lesson someone here never learns.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #26
Hog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
you realize that randomly quoting the koran or whatnot and assuming literal interpretation and then using selective interpretation on the other holy book is is a bit convenient though...

look! they're saying awful things! I mean, we say awful things too, but we don't mean it.

besides, if you're looking for muslim oppression of competing religions, you should cite spain where they started with equality and then systematically took away all the rights of those that would not convert. Funny that that's the same country that created the inquisition - I guess religious tolerance just wasn't part of the local geography.

I believe you area bit confused as I have not actually quoted anything you warn me against.....and I can ASSURE you Sir I would never couch a quote.....either randomly or specifically.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #27
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
I believe you area bit confused as I have not actually quoted anything you warn me against.....and I can ASSURE you Sir I would never couch a quote.....either randomly or specifically.

Yeah, I think that part of That Guy's otherwise fine post really was meant for Redskin Rat, not you.
We won more with Vinny
Old 10-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #28
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
But it is also true that Muslims suffer intolerance and discrimination, sometimes violently, in France, the UK, the USA, and other "Christian" places. Religious intolerance is sadly ubiquitous. So the problem is not just Islam vs. democracy.
The difference in France, UK, and here is that people that perpetrate violence against others in the name of religion are treated as they should be....as criminals.

In many Muslim countries violence against those of other religions is sometimes either sanctioned by the gov't or purposely not investigated/prosecuted.

Quote:
The problem is that unfortunately there are close-minded, hate-filled, and sometimes violent people everywhere.
Agree, very true and very unfortunate.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #29
saden1
MVP

When did democracy become synonymous with christianity and the west? Did I miss the class where they taught the greeks were jesus worshiping and blond blue eyed much like him?

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #30
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
The difference in France, UK, and here is that people that perpetrate violence against others in the name of religion are treated as they should be....as criminals.

In many Muslim countries violence against those of other religions is sometimes either sanctioned by the gov't or purposely not investigated/prosecuted.

Agree, very true and very unfortunate.
I agree with the part about problems with government collusion.

Ex-regimes in both Egypt and Tunisia had reps for repressing Islam. Once the regimes fell, a great deal of pro-Islamic emotion was released. Some of this emotion is wholesome but some is dysfunctional.

For example, the feeling among some Muslims in Egypt was that Mubarak went easy on Copts and several Copts had seats in Mubarak's government. So to hate Mubarak, to some people, is to hate Copts. To erase Mubarak's legacy is to erase Copts. The same reality exists for Egypt's Jews.

However, in both Egypt and Tunisia there are sizeable numbers of folks who prefer secular democracy to either an Iranian Islamic model or, in the cases we are discussing, mob rule by Islam. The Arab Spring revolts were driven more by a striving for democracy than they were driven by calls for Islamic government. As emotions settle, the questions will be less "How to we erase traces of Mubarak or Ben Ali?" and more "How do we create a beneficial new society?" There is every reason to believe that moderates and toleration will then gain more voice and more power and the current ugliness will subside.
We won more with Vinny