Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Saden1's Bitter Draft Poll: Who Do You LEAST Want?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Who Do You LEAST Want?
CB Aqib Talib 34 24.29%
DE Calais Campbell 19 13.57%
DE Phillip Merling 6 4.29%
WR Malcolm Kelly 41 29.29%
WR Limas Sweed 21 15.00%
WR Devin Thomas 19 13.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #16
FRPLG
MVP

Re: Saden1's Bitter Draft Poll: Who Do You LEAST Want?

Any of the WRs
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #17
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
Talib, something about this guy just screams Ahmad Carroll to me
Ha! I like that analogy. Although I chose Malcolm Kelly. Given his recent poor 40 times and the dreaded character issues (sorry, apologizing in clearly scripted legalese doesn't buy you a pass in my book), not to mention injury problems each of the past two seasons, leave me wary of this guy.

I agree with FRPLG that we should stay away from all WRs in the first round. I just don't think there is that much difference between guys like D. Thomas, Kelly, and Sweed, and 2nd/3rd round guys like Hardy and Nelson. It would be smarter IMO to go DL, OL, or DB with the 21st, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we took a wideout.

The only WR that wouldn't piss me off at 21 would be Sweed, given his wrist is 100%.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:20 PM   #18
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
ANY of the WRs. If we can keep up being fiscally responsible and making sound picks along the lines as well as shrewd contract decisions, over the next two to three years (the time it takes a receiver to develop) we could actually make a play for an elite WR and pay them the contract they would require.

That's ONE area I don't mind us spending a good chunk of money on.

If we're going WR AT ALL in the next few drafts, Crabtree from Texas Tech is insane.
He's amazing, but unless we finish with a terrible record next year or trade up we have no shot. He'll be a top 5 pick for sure if he stays healthy. Dude is sick.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:40 PM   #19
GMScud
Swearinger

You know, after reading this article on NFL.com, maybe we shouldn't go OL in the 1st. If one of the top corners is there at 21 that may be the best play, given the depth at OL, particularly tackle. I knew it was a great year for the position, but not this good:

Kevin Colbert, the Pittsburgh Steelers' director of football operations, calls it the best group of tackles he has seen in 24 years of evaluating NFL talent.
"This class is so deep that you're going to get a top talent anywhere in the first through third rounds," Colbert says. "It's really a strong group. The majority of them can play on the left side or play both sides.
"It's unusual to have that many guys that big, that athletic and that productive."
If a half-dozen are chosen in the first round -- and especially if Long is the top overall pick -- the '08 draft could go down as the Year of the Offensive Tackle.

Link to the whole article: Michigan's Long holds same promise as former Big Ten rival
Old 04-14-2008, 10:51 PM   #20
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

I would love to see the team trade up to get Chris Williams, the T/G out of Vanderbilt. As I said in another thread we need a guy that can take over if Samuals ever goes down, and drafting Williams would give us Samuals replacement at LT for when he retires in 4 or 5 years. In the meantime the guy has experience at Guard and can probably start. Either way Samuals is one of the most important players on our team, and having a disaster plan in place is important.

And with trade ups now priced at an all time low, the possiblity of us getting away with just trading a 1st and 3rd is a distinct possibility. Of course we might have to trade a 1st and a 2nd to get the pick, but I think he would be one of the few guys that would be worth it. Personally I like him better then my other man crush, Branden Albert.

Anyway it all depends on what happens on draft day especially once we find out which teams that like Brian Brohm miss out or pass up on Ryan. The fact that they're really committed to BPA also makes it possible that the team could take a RB or a LB with one of their first 4 picks.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:08 PM   #21
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I'll go with Talib (ironic I know). It's not because I don't think he's talented (OMG, he got burned by Jordy Nelson!!! So what?).It's because drafting him likely means getting lesser talent in later rounds at other positions.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:15 PM   #22
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
I would love to see the team trade up to get Chris Williams, the T/G out of Vanderbilt. As I said in another thread we need a guy that can take over if Samuals ever goes down, and drafting Williams would give us Samuals replacement at LT for when he retires in 4 or 5 years. In the meantime the guy has experience at Guard and can probably start. Either way Samuals is one of the most important players on our team, and having a disaster plan in place is important.

And with trade ups now priced at an all time low, the possiblity of us getting away with just trading a 1st and 3rd is a distinct possibility. Of course we might have to trade a 1st and a 2nd to get the pick, but I think he would be one of the few guys that would be worth it. Personally I like him better then my other man crush, Branden Albert.

Anyway it all depends on what happens on draft day especially once we find out which teams that like Brian Brohm miss out or pass up on Ryan. The fact that they're really committed to BPA also makes it possible that the team could take a RB or a LB with one of their first 4 picks.
Trade up to get Chris Williams when this is the most loaded draft possibly EVER for tackles? I don't see it.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:17 PM   #23
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:

Tony Hills!
Old 04-14-2008, 11:25 PM   #24
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Trade up to get Chris Williams when this is the most loaded draft possibly EVER for tackles? I don't see it.
Well I do The problem is that the Tackles will fall to us in the first round are all RT mauler types and right now Stephon Heyer looks like hes going to get a chance to succed Jansen when Jansen calls it a career though I doubt they'll let him succeed Samuals in 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Tony Hills!
I personally love Tony Hills, but at the same time I'm not to crazy about adding another injury prone lineman. Right now my favorite G/T combos are as follows

1. Chris Williams
2. Branden Albert
3. Duane Brown
4. Tony Hills

And personally I'm starting to develop a man-crush on Duane Brown (Thomas according to JLC).

Also funny thing about the whole "Talib burned Nelson." Well just for the sake of playing devils advocate, Kansas won that game 30-24.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 04-14-2008, 11:25 PM   #25
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I'll go with Talib (ironic I know). It's not because I don't think he's talented (OMG, he got burned by Jordy Nelson!!! So what?).It's because drafting him likely means getting lesser talent in later rounds at other positions.
Hey John Kerry just called. He wanted me to tell you to be more consistent :cheeky-sm
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:34 PM   #26
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Well I do The problem is that the Tackles will fall to us in the first round are all RT mauler types and right now Stephon Heyer looks like hes going to get a chance to succed Jansen when Jansen calls it a career though I doubt they'll let him succeed Samuals in 2013.
Who knows where anyone will be in 2013?? You want to draft a LT with our first round pick so he can sit on the bench for 4 or 5 years? Why on earth would we do that? Heyer looked decent at times last year, but still needs a lot of work. Plus his salary is bare bones, so why not bring in one of these beasts available in the first three rounds to push him? Heyer is a guy who one day may turn into a decent starter, but he doesn't exactly have pro-bowl written all over him. We need depth anyway. Bring in a guy or two who can start at tackle and/or guard if need be, and use Heyer for spot-starts and depth.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:45 PM   #27
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Who knows where anyone will be in 2013?? You want to draft a LT with our first round pick so he can sit on the bench for 4 or 5 years? Why on earth would we do that? Heyer looked decent at times last year, but still needs a lot of work. Plus his salary is bare bones, so why not bring in one of these beasts available in the first three rounds to push him? Heyer is a guy who one day may turn into a decent starter, but he doesn't exactly have pro-bowl written all over him. We need depth anyway. Bring in a guy or two who can start at tackle and/or guard if need be, and use Heyer for spot-starts and depth.
Lol, yeah I guess you're right about 2013. However in the mean time Williams projects as a starting Guard. And if anything he has all the tools in terms of size and technique to be a good one. Not to mention he's super smart. Guy went to Vanderbilt for Gods sake. And obviously they don't make exceptions when it comes to football players as they've sucked for a long time. (Appologies to my cousin who is a scholarship athlete at Vandy).

The thing I like about Williams is his ability to become a very good guard as well as the fact that we would have an excellent insurance policy at our lines most important position.

Personally I like Heyer a lot and I like where he is in his development, the only thing that really concerns me about Heyer is his durability which obviously has been a HUGE problem for the team.

- FRPLG
Old 04-14-2008, 11:48 PM   #28
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
Hey John Kerry just called. He wanted me to tell you to be more consistent :cheeky-sm
Zing!
Old 04-14-2008, 11:57 PM   #29
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Lol, yeah I guess you're right about 2013. However in the mean time Williams projects as a starting Guard. And if anything he has all the tools in terms of size and technique to be a good one. Not to mention he's super smart. Guy went to Vanderbilt for Gods sake. And obviously they don't make exceptions when it comes to football players as they've sucked for a long time. (Appologies to my cousin who is a scholarship athlete at Vandy).

The thing I like about Williams is his ability to become a very good guard as well as the fact that we would have an excellent insurance policy at our lines most important position.

Personally I like Heyer a lot and I like where he is in his development, the only thing that really concerns me about Heyer is his durability which obviously has been a HUGE problem for the team.
I agree that Williams is a solid prospect. As a huge Gator fan, I've seen plenty of Chris Williams. He's a great lineman for sure, but my point is I don't think he's worth trading up for given the OL depth in the draft. He could very well be there when we pick at #21 anyway.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:00 AM   #30
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
I agree that Williams is a solid prospect. As a huge Gator fan, I've seen plenty of Chris Williams. He's a great lineman for sure, but my point is I don't think he's worth trading up for given the OL depth in the draft. He could very well be there when we pick at #21 anyway.
Yeah, I have to admit I didn't totally think that one out. I just like him as a prospect, but at the same time we can get a similar guy in the 2nd if we take Duane Brown.

- FRPLG