Revis and Mankins Not Happy

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #16
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: Revis and Mankins Not Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Yeah that kind of stuff is wild. Instantly saying he's better after his 3 years and deserves more.. some teams have more money to put towards an individual position.

And with Mankins wanting something like Jahri Evans who gets like 8/year and 7/year isn't enough. Kind of wild, I guess when you're one of the best you can do that though.
Corners are becoming a dime a dozen. If you watch the NFL draft you know what I mean. 33 Corners were selected this year, most of any position. In fact to compare there were 38 Offensive lineman selected, thats guards, tackles, an centers combined. And that still pales in comparison to the 52 Defensive Backs selected.

Also last year 36 Corners were selected, most among all positions. 2008 - 30 Corners - 2nd highest behind Recievers at 35. 2007 - 30 Corners selected - 3rd highest position behind LB and Reciever. That makes 129 Corners selected since 2007. Most of any position.

Personally I don't get teams infatuation with Corners. I personally feel that a great safety does more for your team then an elite corner. Not to mention I would much rather prefer a strong defensive front that can dominate the line of scrimmage then a bunch of corners that have to cover for 5 or 6 seconds on every play.

I personally like the Bill Belicheck way of doing things. Build your team around guys who play closest to the line of scrimmage. Then worry about the secondary and receivers. Those premadonnas can wait awhile.

Though as a disclaimer I think part of my disdain comes from the selection of Los, Tryon, and Barnes. Tryon and Barnes because we needed lineman and Los because while he did end up being a quality player he still resulted in us passing on both Ware and Merriman, though these days I'm not to sad about passing up on Merriman. It remains to be seen if 56 owes a lot of his success to PED's.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #17
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpaint View Post
If that would be the case I would have to go get him you have to, not for LT but I've got plenty of concern on the line. Shouldn't you put him next to Trent so you solidify the left side. Not only does it help Trent but it helps McNabb's blindside.
Along the lines of what Dirtbag touched on, I'd say that you can upgrade that RG position without really making the overall product much better. A RT, on the other hand, could really improve the overall quality of the line because the current options are either Heyer, Capers, or playing someone out of position. Faced with that, if there's a <Jamaal Brown> available at a reasonable price, you can really help the whole unit on by grabbing him.

If you acquire a guard like Mankins, you have a veteran Center, a veteran left guard, a veteran right guard, all of whom are past the age where they have real upside, and you still have a bad line. Perhaps better than before him, but also not as good as it might have been if one of the younger guys really takes to the system and excels in the role, thereby making Dockery expendable.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:13 AM   #18
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Though speak of what I said.. if Revis accepts less.. the next guy will have to.. and so on

not only does the highest paid position player set the tone but so do others

so when someone who shows up in Revis type fashion wants 15 or something they say well Revis only makes 13.. so you should get 11
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:16 AM   #19
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post

WHAT A DOUCHE. Just because you're the best that extra few million will make you happy?!
He was good last year no doubt about it maybe the best last year but I still say the rest of the team helps him,he needs more then 3 years for me to give him that kind of money.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #20
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Corners are becoming a dime a dozen. If you watch the NFL draft you know what I mean. 33 Corners were selected this year, most of any position. In fact to compare there were 38 Offensive lineman selected, thats guards, tackles, an centers combined. And that still pales in comparison to the 52 Defensive Backs selected.

Also last year 36 Corners were selected, most among all positions. 2008 - 30 Corners - 2nd highest behind Recievers at 35. 2007 - 30 Corners selected - 3rd highest position behind LB and Reciever. That makes 129 Corners selected since 2007. Most of any position.

Personally I don't get teams infatuation with Corners. I personally feel that a great safety does more for your team then an elite corner. Not to mention I would much rather prefer a strong defensive front that can dominate the line of scrimmage then a bunch of corners that have to cover for 5 or 6 seconds on every play.

I personally like the Bill Belicheck way of doing things. Build your team around guys who play closest to the line of scrimmage. Then worry about the secondary and receivers. Those premadonnas can wait awhile.

Though as a disclaimer I think part of my disdain comes from the selection of Los, Tryon, and Barnes. Tryon and Barnes because we needed lineman and Los because while he did end up being a quality player he still resulted in us passing on both Ware and Merriman, though these days I'm not to sad about passing up on Merriman. It remains to be seen if 56 owes a lot of his success to PED's.
I agree. BB learned from Parcells. You win with big people, not small ones. Tryon. Barnes and Los were not horrible picks but they certainly were not good ones either. And the stuff Merriman was taking doesn't make you a good football player. He's legit wheter he's on the juice or not. He's just been slowed by injuries but he's still a better football player than Rogers.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #21
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post

Kinda simple when you think about it. It's a passing league now. Teams want/need at least 3 starting quality corners in order to compete with teams that are stacked 3-4 deep at WR.

There are different ways to build a D, but at the end of the day you still need guys that can cover regardless of your front 7.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #22
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Mattyk, thing is it's your front 7 that makes your DB's.(IMO)Without a good front 7 those DB's will be going crazy(like the Giants last year) ,yeah they need to be good and I'm don't want to take away anything but when a DB doesn't have to worry about the run becuase he knows his guys up front can do it then he only needs to concentrate on the reciever.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:51 AM   #23
MTK
\m/

Yeah I get that, you still need quality guys in the secondary though. A great front 7 doesn't allow you to get away with garbage on the back end.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #24
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Revis is demanding to be paid as the top-earning CB...after playing ONE season and being tied for 5th in interceptions?

Play out the contract you signed and earn your money, kid.

While a rookie pay scale is necessary, we also need to keep these greedy sophomores from demanding immediate pay raises after 16 games. Sure, total busts won't get rewarded with a pay scale, but I think a player should have to prove himself beyond one season to get top money in most cases.

So far, Revis is not proving to be worth paying with his selfishness in year #2.

As for Mankins...he has more of a case. He's a quality o-lineman and is probably worth more than $1.54 million that the Pats could be cutting his salary to. Tom Brady has stayed pretty clean over the years and Mankins is part of the reason why. (refs and the Commish help too)

Also, Bellichick and the New England organization has gained a reputation for not treating their own with a lot of respect over the years...from the "practice when you're injured" incidents to some shady deals being made (Cassell).
Old 06-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #25
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I'm not going to hate on Revis for wanting more money. He's had 3 great year, each year getting better (the interceptions are a bad measure of his talent because usually teams don't even throw in his direction). Yeah he signed a contract but just as easily as the Jets could drop him he can ask for more money.

If anything I'll hate on him showing up to half-ass the OTAs. If you're going to be there, be fully committed. Otherwise just sit at home and let your agent do his thing.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #26
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Revis is demanding to be paid as the top-earning CB...after playing ONE season and being tied for 5th in interceptions?

Play out the contract you signed and earn your money, kid.

While a rookie pay scale is necessary, we also need to keep these greedy sophomores from demanding immediate pay raises after 16 games. Sure, total busts won't get rewarded with a pay scale, but I think a player should have to prove himself beyond one season to get top money in most cases.

So far, Revis is not proving to be worth paying with his selfishness in year #2.

As for Mankins...he has more of a case. He's a quality o-lineman and is probably worth more than $1.54 million that the Pats could be cutting his salary to. Tom Brady has stayed pretty clean over the years and Mankins is part of the reason why. (refs and the Commish help too)

Also, Bellichick and the New England organization has gained a reputation for not treating their own with a lot of respect over the years...from the "practice when you're injured" incidents to some shady deals being made (Cassell).
In all fairness Revis has outplayed that contract and deserves a rasie cause front offices cut guys and all time. I agree with him getting a raise it's just his antics that really make him look like a tool. Just shut up and quit talking the media about it.

Regarding Mankins it's really a joke that a stalwart on a pretty damn good line is making 1.54 million. On the open market he'd command a lot more than that and if we had the draft picks I'd try and trade for him. He'd instantly solidify the RG position. I just don't understand organizations not wanting to reward guys that have paid their dues. I think Brady might see the writing on the wall and with his ties to the west coast I could see him wanting out. Brady would look real good in a SF uniform.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #27
ethat001
Impact Rookie

"PAY the man"! (aka. Deion @ NFL Network)

On a side note, I wish we had drafted Revis instead of Landry.. Hindsight is always 20/20..
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #28
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethat001 View Post
"PAY the man"! (aka. Deion @ NFL Network)

On a side note, I wish we had drafted Revis instead of Landry.. Hindsight is always 20/20..
Yeah, I can't imagine that we were too far from actually making that decision in 2007. I'm thinking the team had Revis higher on their board that year than Amobi Okoye (who I wanted, and still would rather have had), and decided quite late that Landry was going to be everything the scouting report suggested.

He still might be. It's just that his first three years have been, at best, a mixed bag, while Revis is one of the three best defensive players in football.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #29
saden1
MVP

Revis needs to get paid. If I were him I'd stay professional and simply tell the JETs pay me decent now and you won't have to pay me even more later.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #30
Monkeydad
Living Legend

More big name holdouts, could be out until week 10 for Chargers:

NFL Videos: Bolts holding out

This is getting ridiculous.