Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

We Asked, Matt Bowen Answered

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #16
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: We Asked, Matt Bowen Answered

^ There are many reasons to criticize Blache: lack of creativity, playing people in odd positions, not putting every player in the ultimate position to succeed, etc. I will not defend Blache from such charges.

However, when all was said and done, his defenses ranked highly. He put good defenses on the field. And that was his job. Whether or not Bowen is biased towards Blache, there are solid reasons to think favorably about him.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #17
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Wasn't too surprised considering he's a former safety. In past discussions with him, he's spoken very highly of Jackson. Felt he should have been given strong consideration to be named the D-Coordinator

Which was your question? I don't remember

Can't say I did follow him
No.5 /Questions about the defense

5. What primary scheme do you think our 'hybrid(3-4)' defense will run with the DL 1-gap or 2-gap? Assuming Haynesworth plays DE in our 3-4 front, schematically could he be a 1-gap penetrator? Even while the other DL (NT and LDE) 2-gap?
Haynesworth is talented enough to align anywhere along the D-Line and make plays. At the Nose, over the Tackle, it doesn't matter. This guy can play--and now he just needs to start acting like a pro.

-Kaluka played in relief of D'Qwell Jackson as ILB and did pretty well for himself
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #18
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

The questions that got into specifics about the defense he didn't really address this time. I know many of you had questions about the linebackers which he didn't address.

I think he just hasn't had a time to really study how our defense will work with some of the new players we've acquired or maybe better said old players in new positions.

If we're able to chat with him at the end of the pre-season he may be able to answer those questions.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #19
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
lame.
Perhaps you can go out and pull off a better interview with a former player for us.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #20
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Well done SS, as always. Thank you to Matt for taking the time for us.

To me the most surprising answer was the Eric Berry comment. Berry is a tremendous talent, but no way Okung/Williams shouldn't have been the first pick.

MB's take on the AH situation is dead-on.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #21
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
What did you guys think was the most surprising answer? I think for me I hadn't really thought about how so many players on the roster play special teams and how that makes Danny Smith an extremely important coach on the staff. I often think of special teams coaches as lower on the totem pole below the head coach, coordinators, and even some position coaches. But that's not the case it seems.
This is the first time I've tried to word this, but I guess I kind of think that a lot of what offensive coaches spend time on, when compared to what defensive and special teams coaches do, is academic. That means that the preparation factor means so much more for the whole defensive and special teams unit, and while the offense absolutely has to be able to communicate and recognize things at this level (and coaches assist in that process), offensive systems all seem to be basically effective when you have the right talent, and ineffective when you don't.

That much is true of all units, I think. But, I guess what I'm saying is that offensive coaches could probably cut the work they do by 50% and still get similar if not identical results, whereas defensive coaches and special teams coaches almost need more time than they actually have to get the best results.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #22
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
What did you guys think was the most surprising answer? I think for me I hadn't really thought about how so many players on the roster play special teams and how that makes Danny Smith an extremely important coach on the staff. I often think of special teams coaches as lower on the totem pole below the head coach, coordinators, and even some position coaches. But that's not the case it seems.
I thought what he said about Blache was the most surprising also.Good job SS
Old 06-13-2010, 03:36 AM   #23
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Thanks Matt as usual. Wish my question had been answered but since it involved lower coaches I was pretty sure he'd not had the experience with them to answer some. Thanks again Mr. Bowen, glad to see you still showing some Skins pride though we couldn't do much while you were on board.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #24
Zerohero
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
^ There are many reasons to criticize Blache: lack of creativity, playing people in odd positions, not putting every player in the ultimate position to succeed, etc. I will not defend Blache from such charges.

However, when all was said and done, his defenses ranked highly. He put good defenses on the field. And that was his job. Whether or not Bowen is biased towards Blache, there are solid reasons to think favorably about him.
I agree, there were many things that kept the Redskins mediocre the past years. The defense was normally not the problem.
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #25
InsaneBoost
The Starter

Good read, I just disagree on the whole Blache thing, but hey, can't agree on everything!

InsaneBoost is offline   Reply With Quote