^^ agree

Advertisements
Old 07-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #17
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: RIP Amy Winehouse

Amy Winehouse found dead.

Cause of death: Amy Winehouse

Honestly, I don't believe I ever heard one of her "songs" or whatever it was she did for a living, but just like Heath Ledger, Anna Nicole Smith and every other celebrity who kills themselves with chemicals, I have no sympathy for anyone but their family who had to watch them CHOOSE to destroy themselves. I hate how these people get celebrated and honored like heroes.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #18
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Amy Winehouse found dead.

Cause of death: Amy Winehouse

Honestly, I don't believe I ever heard one of her "songs" or whatever it was she did for a living, but just like Heath Ledger, Anna Nicole Smith and every other celebrity who kills themselves with chemicals, I have no sympathy for anyone but their family who had to watch them CHOOSE to destroy themselves. I hate how these people get celebrated and honored like heroes.

She was a artist, heres one of her masterpieces for you:

And she was infected with a disease brah, there was nothing she could do.....
Old 07-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #19
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
Drug and alcohol abuse are not diseases; however, the underlying addiction that causes such abuse - preventing the addict from stopping behavior she knows is killing her - is a disease under any definition of that word. I think the argument Saden was trying to make is that people suffering from drug addiction are more culpable in their own affliction than people battling something like MS. I think that's pretty hard to argue with, since drug addiction involves an at least ostensibly voluntary behavioral component, whereas MS does not. But to then conclude that a brilliant and talented drug addict who dies before she is 30 should be denied our pity because she played a mechanical role in her own demise is, I think, dumb. (And I know Saden said this.)

Nice little article on addiction as disease, holla: Addiction: The disease that lies – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

I thinks its a mental disorder thats inherient in drug abusers. Its along the lines of depression, schizophrenia or the need to sign any possible kind of good wr you can get your hands on, all of which i dont really consider diseases. Theyre mental disorders.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #20
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
She was infected with a disease brah, there was nothing she could do.....
Drugs and alcohol = not diseases.

They choose to put these things into their bodies. Sure, once they do, their minds and organs are altered and effected and that can lead to diseases...but they've made the choice to kill themselves this way. It's also tough to classify or justify something as a mental disorder when the actions include introducing chemicals to the body that alter the brain (proven). The effects of the action alter their brain, so how can we know if there was a predisposition that first caused them to make the choice?

Yes, I have someone in my family who has been battling alcohol his whole life...I see the effects on the person and the rest of the family, but it's the path he chose.

I'm obsessed with football...is that a "disease" too?
Old 07-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #21
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Drugs and alcohol = not diseases.

They choose to put these things into their bodies. Sure, once they do, their minds and organs are altered and effected and that can lead to diseases...but they've made the choice to kill themselves this way. It's also tough to classify or justify something as a mental disorder when the actions include introducing chemicals to the body that alter the brain (proven). The effects of the action alter their brain, so how can we know if there was a predisposition that first caused them to make the choice?

Yes, I have someone in my family who has been battling alcohol his whole life...I see the effects on the person and the rest of the family, but it's the path he chose.

I'm obsessed with football...is that a "disease" too?

I agree. they say drugs and alcohol are just a symptom of the real problem. Something in that person's life is wrong and they are using D&A to cover that up or hide from it, if you will.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #22
MTK
\m/

Hate to break this news but drug addiction and alcoholism are medically classified as treatable diseases.

Maybe a definition of disease would help.

Disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #23
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Hate to break this news but drug addiction and alcoholism are medically classified as treatable diseases.

Maybe a definition of disease would help.

Disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great I don't have to agree with it.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #24
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Great I don't have to agree with it.
lol ok, Doc
Old 07-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #25
saden1
MVP

If she was mentally ill and committed suicide I will be the first to be empathetic. She wasn't and she was perfectly sane when she refused to go to rehab countless of times. Like Charlie Sheen she had it all under control, until it killed her that is.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #26
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Whats interesting is that wiki says disease is encompassing of; disorder, morbidity and illness, though each term is considered preferable depending on situations. So while disease may be a correct term in describing drug addiction, disoder or illness may be the more preferable term. This makes me wonder why we hear people call drug addiction a disease nowadays while the political correct term for other mental illnesses or disorders remain illness or disorder.

We say someone whos a coke head or alcoholic has a diseases. Although if I say someone that is obese or suffers from depression has a disease people would say that’s the wrong term. I guess by calling a coke head (also wiki says coke isnt even physically addicting) as someone who is infected with disease you make it easier to pity them and put less personally responsibility or blame on their “condition”. It makes sense, personal responsibility is no longer in vogue.....

Disorder
In medicine, a disorder is a functional abnormality or disturbance.[10] Medical disorders can be categorized into mental disorders, physical disorders, genetic disorders, emotional and behavioral disorders, and functional disorders.
The term disorder is often considered more value-neutral and less stigmatizing than the terms disease or illness, and therefore is preferred terminology in some circumstances. In mental health, the term mental disorder is used as a way of acknowledging the complex interaction of biological, social, and psychological factors in psychiatric conditions. However, the term disorder is also used in many other areas of medicine, primarily to identify physical disorders that are not caused by infectious organisms, such as metabolic disorders.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #27
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Whats interesting is that wiki says disease is encompassing of; disorder, morbidity and illness, though each term is considered preferable depending on situations. So while disease may be a correct term in describing drug addiction, disoder or illness may be the more preferable term. This makes me wonder why we hear people call drug addiction a disease nowadays while the political correct term for other mental illnesses or disorders remain illness or disorder.

We say someone whos a coke head or alcoholic has a diseases. Although if I say someone that is obese or suffers from depression has a disease people would say that’s the wrong term. I guess by calling a coke head (also wiki says coke isnt even physically addicting) as someone who is infected with disease you make it easier to pity them and put less personally responsibility or blame on their “condition”. It makes sense, personal responsibility is no longer in vogue.....

Disorder
In medicine, a disorder is a functional abnormality or disturbance.[10] Medical disorders can be categorized into mental disorders, physical disorders, genetic disorders, emotional and behavioral disorders, and functional disorders.
The term disorder is often considered more value-neutral and less stigmatizing than the terms disease or illness, and therefore is preferred terminology in some circumstances. In mental health, the term mental disorder is used as a way of acknowledging the complex interaction of biological, social, and psychological factors in psychiatric conditions. However, the term disorder is also used in many other areas of medicine, primarily to identify physical disorders that are not caused by infectious organisms, such as metabolic disorders.
This is why I beleive it is not a disease. It is clearly self inflicted with many options to treat it. Calling it a disease is a PC way of dealing with it.

Also every druggie or alcoholic has a enabler to help them with this "disease". People with real diseases don't have enablers nor do they self inflict themselves with the disease.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #28
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
If she was mentally ill and committed suicide I will be the first to be empathetic. She wasn't and she was perfectly sane when she refused to go to rehab countless of times. Like Charlie Sheen she had it all under control, until it killed her that is.
They tried to make her go to rehab and she said no, no, no

Seriously though, a mother and father lost their daughter and that's almost never not tragic
Old 07-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #29
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

First let me say Winehouse was a great talent and I loved her voice. Its very tragic anyone passes away so early in life especially under such circumstances.

The only thing that has really bothered my with such sad news is the fact she was 27 and has been lumped in with the other 27 year olds in rock who haved died at that age and somehow she was as legendary.

Sorry, but Winehouse doesnt deserve her name to Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison or Kurt Cobain. They were legends who effing loved their music and produced some of the best the world ever heard. The seemed more dedicated and put out loads of good music, it was their life. When i search youtube, you can pull up winehouse on stage doing a bump of coke while preforming on stage and preforming rather poorly. People laugh in the audience. Even those the others previously mentioned may have been drug fueled on stage, they were giving their all for the fans and for their music. When i hear of winehouse canceling gigs, being booed off stage, not working but partying in the scene; and now that shes gone i see her name next to Hendrix? I wish the media would drop that, she was good, but she in no means a legend.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #30
12thMan
MVP

Just to be fair regarding the unflattering YouTube performances of Amy Winehouse, none of the other aforementioned "Club of 27" performed in the YouTube internet era. I'm sure, though not certain, that Hendrix, Joplin, et al had their share of shitty performances where they were off the mark and high as a kite while on stage.

Like all controversial musicians that die prematurely, history will be the ultimate judge of their impact on the music industry. Whatever you may think of Winehouse, and I'm a big fan of her music, she was authentic as they come and was one of the few artists from Britian that had cross-over appeal. At the moment, I would say only Gaga and Adele are the only two names that would draw a bigger international crowd.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote