For the record I was always a fan of McNabb's and never 'hated' him

Advertisements
Old 04-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #17
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Donovan McNabb: The New Face of The Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Is this for certain that they aren't looking at a QB in the first round anymore?
I'd be more surprised by that than I am that we got McNabb, which is the most surprised I've been by a Redskins move in almost 15 years.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #18
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
I'm interested in seeing how much more effective McNabb can be in a version of the WC offense that places an emphasis on running the ball. Coming from a team that passed the ball 60% of the time he put up great numbers over an eleven year period despite his periods of inacuracy. A solid running game may be the best antidote for him at this stage of his career.
Great point, look what it did for Elway late in his career.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #19
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I'll say that at seasons end I was halfway on board the bandwagon simply cause Cerrato was out. I was about 75% on board when shanahan was brought in. when we unloaded some of the older guys I was about 90% on board. Basically it boiled down to what we did in FA and the draft. We get younger and pick up youth at all positions as well as a franchise QB and move JC out of here then I'd have been 100% on board. With the mind set that we are trying to get better through youth, health, and speed which might take 2-3 yrs and a mind set of getting to the SB in 3-5 yrs.

I'm tired of this win now attitude. It has not worked in 14 yrs. All through Norv, Marty, Spurrier, Gibbs, Zorn, and now Shanahan. We started picking up aged vets who were released part because of monitary issues and part because the players were not living up to their contracts. Although we did get them somewhat cheap. Now we go out and pick up Grossman (yes he led his team to one SB), and McNabb (who led his team to one SB). Apparently the youth movement has been cancelled. The win now attitude is back.

In any event the steps the team has taken to pull me into buying into this whole mess 100% just took a major set back. If they can move JC I'll be happy and yes I have been one of the people who has said it's time to move on, but although McNabb is somewhat of a better QB, I'm extremely hesitant to call this a knock out.

I feel like I just bought a used car from a dealership. All my friends are excited that I have a car, they like how it looks, I'm excited that I have some actual wheels, but there is a little voice in the back of my head say "hey, how did the dealer get over on you? how did you get screwed this time?" Don't worry I'll be patiently waiting to point it out or say "I told you so" when we as fans finally find out how we got screwed in this deal.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #20
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

When will we get the DMcnabb Avatar? He's the face of THEWARPATH Also lol
Old 04-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #21
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Redskins will face "very tough decision" if Sam Bradford is available at No. 4 | ProFootballTalk.com
Old 04-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #22
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
There's definitely an intangible (not found in Football Outsiders) quality that shouldn't be overlooked in all this. McNabb is a proven veteran who has shown for over a decade that he can win and has won in the NFC East and against the rest of the NFL. He has handled the adversity of the Philadelphia fans and media (which should make DC a cake walk), and he's been successful despite-in my opinion-Reid and Morninwheg putting him in ridiculous situations with their propensity to abandon the run at crucial junctures.

Guys like Moss, Thomas, Cooley, etc will have a much easier time showing respect for a guy who has accomplished all that than a rookie like Bradford. Not that Bradford couldn't be successful here. I think he certainly would have been. Just that the "acclimation curve" is not as steep now.
I lol'd. Nice little jab at GTripp's bible.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #23
44ever

[QUOTE=SBXVII;683760]I'll say that at seasons end I was halfway on board the bandwagon simply cause Cerrato was out. I was about 75% on board when shanahan was brought in. when we unloaded some of the older guys I was about 90% on board. Basically it boiled down to what we did in FA and the draft. We get younger and pick up youth at all positions as well as a franchise QB and move JC out of here then I'd have been 100% on board. With the mind set that we are trying to get better through youth, health, and speed which might take 2-3 yrs and a mind set of getting to the SB in 3-5 yrs.

In any event the steps the team has taken to pull me into buying into this whole mess 100% just took a major set back. If they can move JC I'll be happy and yes I have been one of the people who has said it's time to move on, but although McNabb is somewhat of a better QB, I'm extremely hesitant to call this a knock out.

Hold on brother!
If this was the move to end all moves I would have to agree 100%. But, I truly believe Mcnabb is not thought of as the "Knock Out" I believe he is just part of the evolution to get the team where it needs to be.

I will say this. With Mcnabb at QB, I believe we will have the best season we've seen in a Long Time!

I also believe Mcnabb will inspire the Skins to play at the next level.

With this said, I totally get what you are saying.
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #24
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
I'd be more surprised by that than I am that we got McNabb, which is the most surprised I've been by a Redskins move in almost 15 years.
Wait, you'd be surprised if the Skins are or are not looking for a QB in the first round?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #25
warpaint
The Starter

McNabb has a few years left. Philly let him go because they could afford it. They have Kolb and Vick. McNabb used his no trade clause on Oakland,Buffalo, and whoever else they tried to make a deal with. Ried is going to spin it and make it look like it was out of respect for McNabb. He is where he wants to be now, so thats a good thing atleast he is not coming here disgruntle.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:13 PM   #26
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Wait, you'd be surprised if the Skins are or are not looking for a QB in the first round?
Surprised if they take a QB at #4
Old 04-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #27
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpaint View Post
McNabb has a few years left. Philly let him go because they could afford it. They have Kolb and Vick. McNabb used his no trade clause on Oakland,Buffalo, and whoever else they tried to make a deal with. Ried is going to spin it and make it look like it was out of respect for McNabb. He is where he wants to be now, so thats a good thing atleast he is not coming here disgruntle.
Full disclosure, I think Kolb will end up being a very good player. That said, Reid is taking a pretty big gamble I think. Kolb has barely thrown 100 regular season passes. He may look good in practice and in the film room, but he's very, very unproven. Once teams gather film on Kolb and all his tendencies, it will be interesting to see how defenses adjust, etc.

Truth be told, nobody has any idea how Kolb will pan out as a full time starting NFL QB. And Reid just shipped off the best QB in team history in favor of him.

I think given the circumstances for both teams, it's basically impossible to judge this trade right now.

Last edited by GMScud; 04-05-2010 at 11:58 PM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #28
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Surprised if they take a QB at #4
Gotcha. Yeah, that's not gonna happen. At this point, I think we'll be able to find a trade partner if we do in fact want to move down. Suh, McCoy, Clausen, Okung, Berry... 3 of those 5 names will be available with at #4. Someone will want to move up, and I'm all about getting more draft picks.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #29
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Part of me keeps waiting for the news report which announces that this was all a joke. That DMac is our QB, a face of our franchise, is still too surreal to embrace. I have a well-practiced habit of rooting for him to fumble or throw a pick every time that he touches the ball. This will take time to sink in.

At least it wasn't Romo.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #30
warpaint
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Full disclosure, I think Kolb will end up being a very good player. That said, Reid is taking a pretty big gamble I think. Kolb has barely thrown 100 regular season passes. He may look good in practice and in the film room, but he's very, very unproven. Once team's gather film on Kolb and all his tendencies, it will be interesting to see how defenses adjust, etc.Truth be told, nobody has any idea how Kolb will pan out as a full time starting NFL QB. And Reid just shipped off the best QB in team history in favor of him.

I think given the circumstances for both teams, it's basically impossible to judge this trade right now.
I was saying the same thing last night. Thats just like Zorn and Denvers Coach this year they booth went 6-2 but hit a wall once their tendencies were discovered.