Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

A Return of the Running Game?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Do You Expect a More Balanced Offense in 2012?
Yes 80 72.73%
No 30 27.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #16
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: A Return of the Running Game?

man I wanted the option to choose a donut!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #17
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
man I wanted the option to choose a donut!
stupid auto-correct
Old 06-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

I actually think, because of RG3's ability to make big plays running the ball, that it's going to open up a lot more running lanes for the running backs. You're going to have linebackers having to stay home to have someone on RG3. So, I think there will be a more balanced running attack because the running game, by default, will be more successful.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #19
Monkeydad
Living Legend

"More balanced" is tough to predict.

We're going to have both a dangerous running game (if you include QB scrambles) but our deep passing threat will be better than we can remember since the Posse was here.

If 80-yard passes and 50-yard runs is balance...yeah, we'll be balanced.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #20
firstdown
Living Legend

I don't care about balance as long as what we do works. I'm just excited to have an O that teams have to respect.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #21
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Whats been the key for Shanny's teams on offense? Running game period. If we dont run the ball well, especially with a rookie QB, we wont win.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #22
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Yep, you can wish for balancing all you want but if you dont get the blocking and the hole finding you need its gonna be pass pass pass.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #23
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

50/50 pass-run balance
With RGIII as the QB the running game will be incredibly dangerous. Alot times our running plays look exactly like our pass plays. Defenses will be confused as to what is going to happen whether a draw, pass or naked qb bootleg.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #24
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I expect to see more of a lean to the run than 60/40 but I'd still expect it to be about 55/45 pass for a few reasons:
-Kyle is a passing play caller. He likes to throw the ball on first down to set up shorter distance on 2nd and third down where he prefers to run. He also seems to like to use the pass to set up the run on things like draws and delays. Plus, with RG3, using the threat of the bootleg pass will open up huge running lanes because the backside can't pursue so he will use play-action to set up the run.

-Scores will probably dictate it. We are still an improving team, not yet a team that can expect to enter the 4th quarter on most Sundays with a lead. Chances are we will either be close enough in score that the entire playbook is still viable or behind and needing to pass to catch up.

-RG3 needs to learn how to play QB at this level. The training wheels won't be on like they were with Campbell for 3 years. The plan is for RG3 to be a weapon with his arm first, then his legs for years to come. In order for that to come to fruition, he's going to need plenty of game reps and action. Expect them to expose him to many passing opportunities.
My expectation is similar.
As much as I want to see a return to the running game or the traditional Mike Shanahan Denver WCO (and its resulting near 50/50 run balance), I don't expect it. (I also have never wanted to be more wrong about anything, well except how much shotgun-zone read we'll run)

I don't think Kyle's philosophy will change especially now that we have Griff.
If anything Griffin, a QB with premeire arm talent, and more receiving talent (Garcon,Morgan) validates Kyle's pass focused philosophy and give life to his sound passing concepts.

I'm sure situations play a role in playcalling but not on a macro level.
Imo a team whose offense is only reactionary to what the defense was "giving them" without dictating or forcing the defense to stop their best plays will always being playing left-handed to the strength of the defense.
Afterall offenses script opening plays for a reason, they script plays with the intent of dictating to the defense not taking what the defense gives.
They set-up the defenses through playcalling and dictate match-ups.
Imo a good offense has an identity and plays to the strengths of its philosophies.
On the whole I think a teams philosophy guides their resulting pass/run ratio.
Meaning passing teams pass and their resulting ratio will still be titled towards the pass regardless of W/L record or score.(ala the Texans under Kyle or the Packers)
By the same token running teams will run ie. Jags.

Quote:
Personally, I don't care about passing vs. running ratios. All I care about is scoring points. My preference in watching a game is wide open air it out football, but I know many Redskins fans hanker for the long lost days of the Hogs and 3 yards & a cloud of dust football. Whatever works for us to put up 24+PPG this season is just fine with me!
I don't really care about pass/run ratios either but if I'm gonna talk about play calling tendencies I woud feel silly without including the numbers so I'm not just spit balling.
My preference is for balance leaning towards run focus.
But I don't think many fans are clamoring for 3 yards and a cloud of dust as you say.
And right now your dour description of the running game seems to be the prevailing perception.
People don't see the beauty, nuance nor the utility in a good running game.
(my favorite players are still RBs my favorite non-Redskins is Adrian Peterson)

But, its not about style its about winning.
And either style can win with the right coaching, talent and exection.
I think people wrongly project an implication that one style is right and the other is wrong.

Last edited by 30gut; 06-01-2012 at 08:59 PM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #25
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Nice thread 30gut. I think we all know in MS's first year he didn't have the OL he needed to run his zone blocking scheme and the players didn't know the zone blocking scheme very well so I think KS relied more on his passing plays. Last year after picking up OL better suited for zone blocking and the others having been in the system for a year we saw better run plays.

Maybe it is that run blocking is more intricate in MS's system then other systems and takes longer to learn. IDK. I too think that better QB play will bring about better runs. With RG3's ability to get the ball down field defenses will have to put someone back there covering anything deep which is one less man in the box. Then there is one man possibly covering the QB. So hopefully this year we will see and we should see better play from our running game.

Personall I think the run/pass ratio's are a stat we should pay only a little attention to. I think what the team should be looking at is what the opponant will allow them to do. If the opponant has a weak DL then lets run all day. If the opponant has a weak back field and a strong DL then we will need to pass more.

But in the end a good team needs to be able to run, especially at the end of the game to run the clock out after getting a decent lead.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #26
budw38
Playmaker

I would love to run more often , as that means we are controlling the line of scrimmage . RG111 should have more success with a strong running game , I could care a less if we run or pass on first down , I just want TDS !
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #27
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

In order for the offense to be more balanced in 2012 than it was in 2011, the Redskins have to improve in the running game. Last season, the Redskins were 25th in the NFL in rushing and 14th in passing. That's not balanced at all. If Helu Jr. and Royster can improve in the ground game, then there's a chance the Redskins can be a more balanced offensive team.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #28
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Hopefully, we'll run more this season because we'll be ahead late in the game more than we were last season. Also, I have a feeling that there will be some designed runs for RGIII and that he'll take off on some runs on rollouts.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #29
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Last year we had an anemic passing game and really needed to run the ball more. Since we didn't run the ball all that much last year, I don't see us doing it more now that we have Griffin.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #30
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

If by chance the Redskins end up gaining more yards running than passing, they have a chance of being a winning team for sure. Running the ball effectively means the Redskins will have to throw less, which minimizes mistakes like costly interceptions. But in order to win, the Redskins will have to be balanced.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote