Jurgensen thinks Campbell will be back

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #16
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: Jurgensen thinks Campbell will be back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Meaning Sherm calls plays? What is the point of bringing back a coach who failed miserably when controlling the team...and the team didn't start winning and playing well until he was stripped of the duties?

This PROVES that Zorn can't coach the team to wins.

Campbell has earned a return in my opinion, I'll be shocked if he is allowed to get away. If he does, he'll have a great career somewhere else.
Does it prove that he can not coach or can not call plays? The two do not alway go hand and hand.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
At least with Shanahan JC wouldn't be starting completely over since the basics of the WCO would be there.

That's what I was wondering. I wasn't sure what type of offense Shanahan would put in place. If this is the case, then yes, you definitely keep Jason Campbell.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #18
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
At least with Shanahan JC wouldn't be starting completely over since the basics of the WCO would be there.
I agree. Its the main reason for us to "pull" for Shanahan to win the job. While I think there's a fairly low "ceiling" with Shanhan (we'll be 8-8 to 10-6 most years), we'd be fairly well positioned for immediate success - especially if he can be convinced to leave the defensive coaching staff and system more or less in tact. My biggest fear with Shanahan is that he'd want to clean house on the entire coaching staff. Shanahan's impatience with defensive coordinators is the #1 reason I think Denver never took it to the next level.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #19
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I really don't think Shanahan is going to come here and work for Snyder. Especially when he worked for one of the most hands off owners in the NFL. He's not stupid and he doesn't need the money. So what offensive coach with HC experience is going to take this job? Snyder might not have any choice but to keep Zorn.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #20
ashvirtually
Special Teams

Campbell should be offered every opportunity to stay. He has shown that if he has a decent (note, not good, decent; this O-Line is FAR from good, but it IS gelled together much better than in the beginning of the season) that he is a warrior. Okay, he still has issues, like over throwing, and he is not yet a quarterback that can put the team on his back and win a game when it's do or die ... but if his line can at least open up lanes for the run, and at least keep him standing for longer than three seconds, and his recievers can get on their damned routes and stay there - well, he WILL lead and his team WILL play and fight for him.

He's going through his progressions much better, when he's connecting they're for big plays, he was in the top 5 QBs last week, and even after getting pounded into the ground week in and week out behind this just-playably-decent-line, he never complains, he gets up and dusts his arse off, and he goes in there like a damned soldier, and his teammates love him for that.

He and his 'mates have been staying after practice, they have been giving it their all when there is absolutely nothing to play for but pride at this point, when they could just give up and no one would really blame them for it. Give this guy a solid line with some depth, allow him to finish transitioning into this offensive scheme, and he is going to be nasty. Maybe not elite, maybe not Bradyish or Favreish, but utterly reliable and a QB that can win us games because the rest of his team is solid.

I agree with Mike Wise 100%

Quote:
Jason Campbell was never wanted. He could march his team downfield every week for four touchdowns, like Sunday against the Raiders in Washington's most one-sided victory of the two-years-and-out Jim Zorn era. He could come into the game as the fifth-most sacked quarterback in the NFL, dodging large, menacing men paid to hurt him -- behind a duct-tape offensive line that many of those large, menacing men use like Rock Creek Parkway at rush hour -- and it still wouldn't matter.

He could keep picking himself up, groggy from another hit, and pull his mud-caked No. 17 jersey over his exposed shoulder pad. On a cold and sloppy field in Northern California, he could win a game of last quarterback standing with knocked-out Bruce Gradkowski and JaMarcus Russell, still running from Andre Carter and Brian Orakpo. It still wouldn't matter.

:::SNIP:::

He is the most recent model of the impetuous people in control, enraptured by the sound of the train in the distance because they have no faith the one in the station can take them where they want to go.

Antonio Pierce, Ryan Clark and Brad Johnson, a quarterback once replaced by another big name that didn't pan out, all have something in common. When the Redskins became enamored by someone else, they left and won Super Bowls elsewhere.

Campbell is a restricted free agent in less than a month. Four and nine is 4-9. Understood. But no one can argue his continued progression and improvement the past month, despite losing every genuine offensive weapon he had coming into the season except Santana Moss, not to mention any semblance of experienced protection on his line.

Campbell never so much as pointed a finger at a guy who failed to block for him or blamed Cerrato for looking out for his personal safety by fortifying the line through the draft. Whatever critical can be said about his play, especially early in the season, he kept taking physical and psychological hits and kept going forward. In many ways, he was the resilient character from the "Friday the 13th" films -- only this Jason was the victim.

If the Redskins had shown complete confidence in him to begin with, Moss and others in the locker room sometimes wonder where the team would be.

"You do wonder if he had different things in his mind at that point how he would have performed without all the pressure of him thinking he had to show everybody he belonged -- instead of just going out there knowing he was the guy, you know," Moss said Sunday night. "It's not for me to say, but when you go through how much he has this season, when you get plunged into the ground every week, when other people have tried to show you might not be the guy and all you do is say, 'I'm going to show you I belong,' and, 'I'm going to show you I wouldn't quit on you,' you can't turn your back on a guy like that.

It's why Campbell laughs anytime Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen or Colt McCoy is mentioned, why he loves to peek at Cutler's passer rating and hear about Sanchez's recent benching.

It's why, when someone quipped how Campbell had a lot in common with Tiger Woods's wife, Elin Nordegren, he managed a half-smile and allowed himself a moment to relish Sunday's game. "That's a good way to put it," he said. "I like that."

Whether he stays or goes, Jason Campbell has been nothing if not honorable in the employ of the Washington Redskins. The same can't be said about his fickle bosses, forever convinced something better is out there than the quarterback they put through hell, who still managed to stay loyal and, amazingly, upright, in this crumbling, chaotic season.
Amen, Mike. And thank Christ we didn't get either Sanchez or Cutler, despite the stuff I read around here and so many other places about how better off this team would be with either of them instead of The Soup back when the knives were being plunged in his back ... if we'd had either of them behind this line and during this freakshow of a season, things would be so much, much worse.

Now, all that said, I think Campbell is out of here no matter what at the end of this season, due in no small part to the disloyalty the team and the fans have shown him, and the freakshow atmosphere this franchise engenders. He is going to be picked up by a thirsty team ready to make him "THE guy" at the position, they'll give him time instead of suffering from ADD and demanding instant perfection in yet another scheme, and he is going to shine and make us look really dumb for having bailed on him before he could show his mettle.

The damage has been done, and the 'Skins, IMO, as an organization have no one to blame but themselves for what I see is inevitiable at this point. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm still of the same mind I was a month and a half ago that The Soup can't wait to get the eff out of this circus called the Washington Redskins...
ashvirtually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #21
Longtimefan
Playmaker

As indifferent as management has been towards Jason Campbell of late, I can't help but think what they have seen from him under trying circumstances does not warrant consideration. He's started every game the last two seasons, taken a beating and remained the consumate professional by never complaining. When one takes into consideration the circumstances under which he has had to perform, he IMO has earned the right to be here with a full complement of players surrounding him.

Further, Jim Zorn has admitted making mistakes and has learned from them. Because he was stripped of his play-calling duties doen not neccessarily preclude him from being a head coach, many head coaches do not call plays. He has done a masterful job at keeping this team focused and playing hard despite the record, and should be commended for it. This entire unit, Sherm Lewis included, deserves to have the opportunity to build on the momentum they've started over the past several weeks. Changing coaches or QB at this point in time would be a set back as well a mistake.

I may get an argument, but again this is just my opinion and some may beg to differ and that's cool too.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #22
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I didn't read the story but I think most of us kinda figured that he would be here. I mean if there is no CAP then if the team wants to keep him they can for 1 more year. Most likely they would till either they get someone new or their new QB is understanding what he has to do.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #23
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
With Shanahan Campbell might turn into another Cutler, an interception machine.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #24
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
With Shanahan Campbell might turn into another Cutler, an interception machine.
Campbell isn't that type of player.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #25
wilsowilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Latest rumor has the Redskins eyeing Jevan Snead as a late 2nd/early 3rd rounder (means they would have to trade of course). Not as a starter right away, but as someone that can be developed over the next couple of years. Could mean the end of Colt Brennan more than anything it means about Campbell. Snead had a poor year, but I think he's pretty solid.
I watched Snead a few times this year and for the life of me can't figure out why someone would draft him in any of the top five rounds.

He has NFL tools, but he isn't a football player and he is crazy erratic. Hope this is just another rumor?

I just read several reviews that all question his mental toughness.
Yikes! That's a death sentence in the NFL.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #26
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
I watched Snead a few times this year and for the life of me can't figure out why someone would draft him in any of the top five rounds.

He has NFL tools, but he isn't a football player and he is crazy erratic. Hope this is just another rumor?

I just read several reviews that all question his mental toughness.
Yikes! That's a death sentence in the NFL.
I'd imagine he'd be available around the 4th round if they just wait. But I think you hit it on the button when you said he has NFL tools. That's what the appeal is.

Anyhow, it's just December. Things will change for sure. But the biggest story I got from my conversation was that Clausen isn't as high on the team's radar as I had thought. Still, it's early
Old 12-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #27
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Isn't this the same Sonny that was saying we would have won more games with Todd Collins?

Psh, John Kerry is pressing charges for copyright infringement.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #28
saden1
MVP

I think JC should be back. I think I lot of the problem he was having was due to Zorn's play-calling and o-line protection.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #29
Coff
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Well now that the offense is hitting on all cylinders and Campbell is playing his best football of his career so far, do you really want to make major changes to the offense? If Sherm Lewis, Jim Zorn, and everybody else is out of D.C. at the end of the season, it may mean yet another new offensive scheme for everybody to learn. If this is the case, do you want to keep Campbell? He'll have to start from scratch just like he's done the past few seasons.

Exactly. And then, when the new system hasn't brought a championship in two years, it will be switched again. It would be a good idea for the organization to avoid creating a classic catch-22 situation in which coaches need more than two years to create a successful system while at the same time need success within two years in order to keep their jobs.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #30
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
Exactly. And then, when the new system hasn't brought a championship in two years, it will be switched again. It would be a good idea for the organization to avoid creating a classic catch-22 situation in which coaches need more than two years to create a successful system while at the same time need success within two years in order to keep their jobs.
We've been in business 77yrs. with 25 different coaches counting Gibbs twice. The math shows that to be a coaching change on average every 3 yrs. It's time for the constant change to take a bow.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote