Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Parking Lot

Old 10-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Re: Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Its his job to make sure that the facts that he presents are correct.
Absolutely agree. Sometimes you can nitpick things to the point that you miss the overall message, but yes, it's his job to make sure his facts are just that, facts.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Re: Nobel Prize is meaningless. I disagree. This is one of the most prestigous awards in the entire world. To simply disregard it because someone disagreeable once won is a little bit of an overreaction, imho.

Re: Gore's green lifestyle. Not the first time I heard this arguement. I can't say what the guy does or does not do in his private life. I have heard him say that he is in the process of getting his properties equipped with the "greenest" gear possible but that it takes time. Truly, I don't care if he doesn't live the ideal environmentalist lifestyle, as long as he has continues to bring attention to important issues and focus on fixing said issues.

Re: Considering Gore making me a democrat. I am registered as a Republican because I share some very important ideals with the party. I am for less government as opposed to more. I have some personal conservative values. But I am tired of divisive government. I want a candidate that everyone can at least follow if not completely believe in. I am not saying Gore is that person, I'm saying it's blatantly irresponsible to refuse to consider someone based on their affiliation. Simply registering as a republican does not require me to "put the blinders on" and vote the party way all of the time. Doing just that on both sides is what has screwed this country up as bad as it is right now.

I am so tired of extremism. You can't just be a moderate, open minded person. If you're a republican, you've got to be ultra-conservative right wing. If you're democrat, you have to ultra-liberal left wing. It seems like this country is being ruled by the margins and the vast majority of us in the middle are left out of the loop. It's a shitty situation we find ourselves in and without ranting too much more, I guess the point of this thread is this: Do you think that Al Gore is someone that a majority of Americans can get behind and if not, who do you think is?
So what your saying that Gore can preach to the world about this issue but its OK if he does not follow his own advise? So then why should I listen to what he has to say if he does not follow his own advise?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Didn't mean to get you jacked up, Bleed, but the Nobel process was so severe in 94' (if memory serves), that some of the voting committee resigned, refusing to be part of the prositution of the most prestgious "peace" prize on earth awarded to a "Master Terrorist".
Lead by example. Gore has not done that. His new found .....greeness is in response to the negative press he has recieved regarding his personal lifestyle.

However, I agree with you on a couple of points. I also am sick and tired of this govt. Niether Dem or Rep has made a signifigant positive contribution to this country, when MUCH is needed. I have in the past, and would again vote across party lines for a candidate that would REALLY try to fix the USA.
I do not see that person, or it cannot be done in it's current form. On that note, I am not sure we can be saved the way we are.
Revolution???
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

[QUOTE=Hog1;362855] On that note, I am not sure we can be saved the way we are.[QUOTE]

That question is what scares the hell out of me.

Thomas Paine
Old 10-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

[quote=BleedBurgundy;362860][quote=Hog1;362855] On that note, I am not sure we can be saved the way we are.
Quote:

That question is what scares the hell out of me.
HTTR BB!
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #6
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

I'm right with you... lol

Thomas Paine
Old 10-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Quote:
I'm sure everyone's heard by now. I think this is pretty impressive. My question is, if he did decide to run do you think that he would be able to win over enough republicans to win an election? I am a registered republican (put down the eggs, dmek) but I think I would have to seriously consider voting for him pending some research.

*let's keep this civil. no need for namecalling or hyperbole. There's plenty of that on TV.
I think he would be hard pressed to win over anybody. I don't like responding to threads regarding politics or religion, but I couldn't help myself on this one. At least I can be thankful that I was able to respond to this via the "Internet" thanks to Al Gore.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #8
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I'm sure everyone's heard by now. I think this is pretty impressive. My question is, if he did decide to run do you think that he would be able to win over enough republicans to win an election? I am a registered republican (put down the eggs, dmek) but I think I would have to seriously consider voting for him pending some research.

*let's keep this civil. no need for namecalling or hyperbole. There's plenty of that on TV.
So if I'm reading you right, you're assuming that he's a lock to win the Democratic nomination should he run. And what you're asking is can he convince enough Republicans to switch over and vote Democrat.

It had been rumored a few months back that he was going to enter the fray in September, win the Democratic nomination, and name Barack as his VP candidate. I think, however, that a.) he's a little late to the party and can't assume that he'll get even the Dem nomination, and b.) he can probably offer more to his causes by continuing to work in the private sector.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Woah, SS, I am making no such assumptions. I do not know if he would win the Democratic nomination. I'm asking whether or not he could engender enough trust within both parties to make him the most attractive democratic option. If that is the case than he would subsequently be the best choice to represent the democrats in the upcoming election.

I don't think he's too late. I think the last few elections we've seen this trend of starting the whole process earlier and earlier. What happens sometimes is that the over-saturation of the public with all of this exposure can have a negative effect on a candidates campaign. Coming in a little late can help negate that effect.

Your point about have more benefit in the private sector is a good one.

Thomas Paine
Old 10-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Woah, SS, I am making no such assumptions. I do not know if he would win the Democratic nomination. I'm asking whether or not he could engender enough trust within both parties to make him the most attractive democratic option. If that is the case than he would subsequently be the best choice to represent the democrats in the upcoming election.
Ok, I guess when you wrote "win over enough Republicans" I misunderstood you.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:51 AM   #11
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

I'm saying that if he brings up a topic and starts enough discussion to the point that you ask yourself that question, it's a positive. As positive as if he were "walking the walk?" No. But I'm not certain that what's been said regarding his personal habits is entirely true. There's alot of misinformation out there on both sides.

Thomas Paine
Old 10-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #12
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
I'm saying that if he brings up a topic and starts enough discussion to the point that you ask yourself that question, it's a positive. As positive as if he were "walking the walk?" No. But I'm not certain that what's been said regarding his personal habits is entirely true. There's alot of misinformation out there on both sides.
But he doesn't want discussion. Or not really a discussion in the traditional sense. He and the rest of the global warming doomsayers want nothing to do with a rational discussion. They have either already made up their minds and commited extensive resources and/or personal credibility or they are part of a growing sect of science that has picked the side which guarnatees them the most money/success regardless of truth or science. There is a counter group too by the way funded by big oil types. Neither of these groups wants a true discussion of the science here. They want to force one point of view down everyone's throat when neither point of view has much in real hard science to support it unconditionally.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #13
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

No worries. I could have stated it more clearly.

Thomas Paine
Old 10-12-2007, 01:01 PM   #14
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

i dislike all the candidates for presidency, republican and democratic, right now. Gore would get my vote if he were to run. He has a responsibility to run. I get upset with the fact that he preaches change but when he has the power to step into a position where he can make a difference, he passes.
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #15
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSKINBauer View Post
i dislike all the candidates for presidency, republican and democratic, right now. Gore would get my vote if he were to run. He has a responsibility to run. I get upset with the fact that he preaches change but when he has the power to step into a position where he can make a difference, he passes.
Then get ready to have more restrictions on your car and utilities, as well as the highest taxes in the world.

edited to add:

I demand a recount on the vote! The Nobel Prize was stolen by Gore.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote