Redskins practice report: Aug. 4 | WashingtonExaminer.com

RGIII Report: Aug. 4 | WashingtonExaminer.com

Advertisements
Old 08-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #17
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Redskins Training Camp Thread-Fan Appreciation Day Thoughts

I was there.

It was HOT, but we found a spot in the shade luckily, since we had our kids along.

Son LOVED the cheerleaders, was into them more than the players it seemed. Proud of the boy. Have a great photo of him with a cheerleader on each of his shoulders and a big sloppy smile on his face. I believe one of them is the calendar cover girl actually. Wow.

As for the players, we were able to get up right behind the players "bench" when they moved our side across to the edge of the first field near the end.

Two player fights! Not Westbrook-like but these guys seem ready to play. I think the first was Niles Paul and Marcus White...I also saw Will Montgomery come out of a scuffle without his helmet. It looked like Cofield was breaking one up, I don''t think he was involved. I couldn't see past the players to see exactly what happened.

Griffin looked great. it looked like Good Rex showed up too.

As mentioned, Niles Paul is ready for the TE role. He looks solid.

On D, whomever #31 was needs cut. He dropped so many balls and got burnt in coverage drills too.

Sav Rocca has an amazing leg...looked like he could hit the low-flying planes going over the field if he tried.

I was expecting 40,000 people if Rex and Beck brought in 29K last year and this was the last year in Ashburn, but the 25,000 crowd seemed light. Heat I guess? I have no explanation.

I'm glad I was able to make it down one last time before the move. This was my second Fan Appreciation Day, the other was when McNabb came to town. My son has wanted to play football since we came home...which is great. I'm glad he's getting into the game and team I've always loved.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #18
mbedner3420
The Starter

If anyone knows how to post video from an iPhone onto WP, I'll put up some videos I took at TC -- two minute offense, some Red Zone attempts, etc.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #19
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Looked up #31...Merriweather.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #20
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Just a little nugget for you all. Peter King of SI is going to skins training camp today.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #21
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Looked up #31...Merriweather.
LOL....he's probably going to be our starter.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #22
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
I was there.

It was HOT, but we found a spot in the shade luckily, since we had our kids along.

Son LOVED the cheerleaders, was into them more than the players it seemed. Proud of the boy. Have a great photo of him with a cheerleader on each of his shoulders and a big sloppy smile on his face. I believe one of them is the calendar cover girl actually. Wow.

As for the players, we were able to get up right behind the players "bench" when they moved our side across to the edge of the first field near the end.

Two player fights! Not Westbrook-like but these guys seem ready to play. I think the first was Niles Paul and Marcus White...I also saw Will Montgomery come out of a scuffle without his helmet. It looked like Cofield was breaking one up, I don''t think he was involved. I couldn't see past the players to see exactly what happened.

Griffin looked great. it looked like Good Rex showed up too.

As mentioned, Niles Paul is ready for the TE role. He looks solid.

On D, whomever #31 was needs cut. He dropped so many balls and got burnt in coverage drills too.

Sav Rocca has an amazing leg...looked like he could hit the low-flying planes going over the field if he tried.

I was expecting 40,000 people if Rex and Beck brought in 29K last year and this was the last year in Ashburn, but the 25,000 crowd seemed light. Heat I guess? I have no explanation.

I'm glad I was able to make it down one last time before the move. This was my second Fan Appreciation Day, the other was when McNabb came to town. My son has wanted to play football since we came home...which is great. I'm glad he's getting into the game and team I've always loved.
Here are some things I noticed:

1. Saturday was not Hankerson's best practice. He had a ton of noticeable drops -- during position drills and 11-on-11.

2. Dezmon Briscoe looked like someone who could make the team. Tall, agile. He caught and impressive ball at the back of the endzone, left side.

3. Garcon stood out to me as well. He made a few great catches and tossed one into the crowd. He could very well be the #1 WR we've been looking for.

4. Red zone drill utilized RG3's legs frequently. A bit too frequently quite frankly. We know that's a skill set he is very good at, they'd probably be better served to run a few more passing plays.

5. Unfortunately, Brandon Banks looks like he is playing himself onto the roster. He caught everything that came his way and looked as fast as ever. Got great separation and blew by DBs -- (Fry Meme) "Not sure if Brandon Banks is really good, or if DBs are really bad."

6. As mentioned previously, RG3 is holding onto the ball a bit too long. It would make sense (as SS noted earlier) that they are asking him to hang on a bit too long purposely so he goes through his reads, but either way, he was a bit slow.

7. As Monkeydad mentioned, the fights were between Niles Paul and Marcus White. Paul threw some pretty good punches which later resulted in a conversation with Mike Shanahan. Montgomery and Fletcher was the first fight. Nothing too serious, just pushing and shoving. I've heard this is nothing new for both as they got into it last year as well.

8. T. Jackson looks pretty good. Made a nice INT and could very well play his way into the starting roll.

9. Hall wasn't very noticeable to me, though I can recall him getting torched during a drill -- I think by Moss.

10. It was difficult to determine how bad the O-line really is. I couldn't see any 1-on-1 drills so it's tough to say. Alternatively, because RG3 was handing on to the ball so long, I'm not sure if who is really at fault.

11. Kicker battle was pretty even. Nothing major to report.

two funny observations:

1. RG3 "dad" was at practice. So people in my section requested autographs. When they pulled back their signed objects, they came to realize it was only his uncle. Many disappointed fans lol. In all honesty, they look very similar.

2. I want NT Baker to make the team terribly. During kicking attempts, Baker would jump in front of Gano and Rackers and flash them his belly. The guys is a monster of a human being so it was hilariously comical.

Will post more if I remember it. Still trying to figure out how to post video. Reply with some tips if you've got them.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #23
MTK
\m/

Why is it unfortunate that Banks is playing well?

If he earns a spot and can contribute at WR, that's good for us.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #24
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post

It's good in the sense we'll have a stronger WR corp, it's unfortunate in sense that I don't personally like him and will have to tolerate him for another year.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #25
12thMan
MVP

I didn't make it, got a little banged up the night before.

When do the close practices, later this week? Tomorrow?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #26
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Banks did look good but I still think our return man will be Aldrick Robinson in Week 1.

WR is just too deep and I don't think Banks will make it, however he is a fan favorite, at least with the crowd I was standing in. Everyone was talking about him and rooting for him.

I'm not sure Banks can physically make it as a full-time WR. As a returner, sure, but if we have to start sending him over the middle, his durability will really be tested. Robinson is just as fast and we won't have that concern.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #27
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post

That was the thing that stood out to me from his post too. Why would a player working hard and making the team be a bad thing?
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #28
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
That was the thing that stood out to me from his post too. Why would a player working hard and making the team be a bad thing?
personal disdain on my part more than anything else.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #29
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Eh. I could be willing to ignore the player off the field if he produced on it. But it's definitely a case-by-case basis. BB hasn't done anything particularly egregious to make me want to dislike him.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #30
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
Banks did look good but I still think our return man will be Aldrick Robinson in Week 1.

WR is just too deep and I don't think Banks will make it, however he is a fan favorite, at least with the crowd I was standing in. Everyone was talking about him and rooting for him.

I'm not sure Banks can physically make it as a full-time WR. As a returner, sure, but if we have to start sending him over the middle, his durability will really be tested. Robinson is just as fast and we won't have that concern.
I will have to say that Banks had a TERRIBLE punt return. He caught the ball at the 35 yard line and was about to get nailed. Rather than take it at the 35 yard line, he attempted to back peddle in an effort so sidestep the three or four players coming to tackle him and ended up getting himself stuck at the 15 yard line for a 20 yard loss. Terrible play and the same sort of thing we've seen before.