Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins Talking Trade with Raiders?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #16
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Redskins Talking Trade with Raiders?

The Raiders won't trade Veldheer, but if we want some of there more recent draft picks (at corner or tackle) remember that they are under new ownership.

What the Raiders need most is a TE with WCO experience. The obvious problem with a trade is that Chris Cooley wouldn't fit in their current cap situation.

Advertisements
Old 07-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
FRPLG
MVP

Barnes is a bad fit for our zone-blocking scheme but so was JB what with not being able to move much because of the hip. I'd hate to see Cooley's run end here in a panic-trade for a marginal starting RT who doesn't fit our scheme and a throw-away pick. But then again who is going to start at RT? There should be "better" options.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #18
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I think Barnes has been in a zone based blocking scheme since he's been in the league. Jacksonville was kind of on-and-off with zone blocking: they adapted early, then seemed to prefer man, then kind of seemed to make it up as they went.

Barnes isn't going to get much push in the running game no matter what the scheme is. His best skill is his ability to win in pass protection. He's almost certainly going to be a liability off run action whether the Redskins are actually running or faking. I don't think he's a great fit, but he's a better player than Jammal Brown is even when both are healthy.

I mean, if the Redskins PUP/IR Brown, they do have reasonable in house options that should prevent another 2009.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #19
FRPLG
MVP

Just because he's been in a zone scheme doesn't mean he is a good fit. Let's say he is an "odd" fit at best. He doesn't move much and as you said he is a better pass protector because of his size and reach. But that size works against him in a movement based zone scheme like we run. But yes he is a better player than we have.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #20
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Just because he's been in a zone scheme doesn't mean he is a good fit. Let's say he is an "odd" fit at best. He doesn't move much and as you said he is a better pass protector because of his size and reach. But that size works against him in a movement based zone scheme like we run. But yes he is a better player than we have.
I agree with you that Barnes is an odd fit, and that he's also probably not a main target of trade talks with the Raiders.

It's probably more about moving Cooley for a conditional 2013 draft choice. It's weird though, because you have two teams at a draft pick deficit, and both want to acquire picks rather than trade them. Ultimately, I think any deal will end up being player for player.

So if we can pluck a young guy for Cooley who will make this years team and is under contract through at least 2013, we should do it. I wouldn't trade Cooley straight up for Khalif Barnes though. And I say that knowing that Barnes was a better player in 2011 than Cooley was.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #21
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Beggars can't be choosey.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #22
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I'd love to get Veldheer...I was hoping we'd draft him.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #23
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

I would LOVE to get Veldheer, but I know its going to be for someone like Khalif. Cooley straight up would probably be a better trade. I don't see a need for an extra pick.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #24
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
2. Bringing in some free agents today (assuming these are OL since it was in response to Jammal Brown's injury)

3. Allen was on the phone with the Raiders his morning talking about a potential trade.
Interesting.......
2.) FA OL/RBs?

3.) Joe Barksdale OL/ Mike Mitchell S

Quote:
3. How would you all feel about Cooley for Khalif Barnes and a conditional pick?
I would feel that the FO did not properly prioritize addressing the RT with a solid starter earlier during the offseason.
And with Jammal Brown's injury situation that they are now backed into a corner and are forced to trade for a marginal player/stop gap player at RT that was available via FA this offseason without having to trade anything.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #25
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

What FA RT (other than Winston) would you have gone after?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #26
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Since you ask...anyone RT that was available that was an upgrade over Jammal Brown, so basically I would have looked at every FA RT.
And I wouldn't have limited the search for RT to FA I would have looked via draft also.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #27
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Interesting.......
2.) FA OL/RBs?

3.) Joe Barksdale OL/ Mike Mitchell S

I would feel that the FO did not properly prioritize addressing the RT with a solid starter earlier during the offseason.
And with Jammal Brown's injury situation that they are now backed into a corner and are forced to trade for a marginal player/stop gap player at RT that was available via FA this offseason without having to trade anything.
I agree that our FO did a horrible job with addressing the RT position this offseason. Jamaal Brown never was healthy here. I really feel like Khalif Barnes, if that is the guy we're going for, is not much of an upgrade over some of the OTs we have now. We are going to be giving away a good player for a medicore one. I would just sign a FA OT now, then wait for the 2nd or 3rd week of cuts and just see which RT pops up that way. We should have just bit the bullet and offered Eric Winston whatever and reworked other guys deals, like Jamaals and trents.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #28
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
what an appropriate acronym to describe our right tackle issue (JB stinks) as well as the tackle market in the offseason (stunk)

It is a lil bothersome that Shanny is saying our young guys are not ready for the to step up and be full time starters.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #29
12thMan
MVP

I would hate to see Cooley leave under any circumstances. Cooley's only 30 years old. He's no spring chicken, but he still has a lot left in the tank. Fred Davis tweaks an ankle and suddenly you're regretting unloading Cooley. I wouldn't do it.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #30
30gut
Playmaker

Its an assumption to guess what or if Mike Shanahan/FO is saying about our young guys.
All things considered our young guys were decent last year, the run game actually picked up when Jammal Brown was out.
IIRC Jammal Brown rated out the lowest of our RTs per PFF.
If Brown isn't/can't play then the FO should make move if for no other reason then to get enough bodies/depth at the RT position.