2012 Training Camp Competitions Open Discussion

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #16
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: 2012 Training Camp Competitions Open Discussion

The most impactful competitions in TC:

1. Entire Secondary. I think Chase could start, that's all im saying. Our safety play will improve this year, which is very exciting.

2. Interior Line...I think we coulda upgraded here in the offseason, but we went young which is fine, but Kory L injury is a huge issue, Chester is average, Monty is average. Wouldnt it be nice if someone could step up and take one of their spots?

3. WRs. Gonna be fun to see how these guys slot 1-5 or possibly 6. If we keep 6, then WR is primed for an UDFA to take a spot. I expect AA, Austin, and Aldrick Robinson to be fighting for their lives. Banks is already gone imo.

He Gets Us

Advertisements
Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #17
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

The Achilles Heal of this team is our safeties. If you want me to be more specific, its going to be SS. FS I'm also worried about, but if Tanard returns to his form of a season ago, anything close to a pro-bowl caliber form from Tanard and that solves a big portion of the problem. I do think Chase Minnifield will be (judging by what I hear from coaches and reports) our top nickleback. Josh Wilson started to get going at the end of the season in our defense. He should be fine. Its Dhall I'm more worried about. The guy played awful last year. He knew it. He even said 'cut me'. Not exactly encouraging. The good news though is that he is the most experienced veteran in our secondary (or is that the bad thing?). Dhall though is one of the most two-faced CBs in the league. One play he gets burned for a TD. The next play he gets a nice INT. We'll have to see how he does this year but sadly I don't see him doing anything pro bowl like this year, more like how he did last year, just maybe a few less bone head plays. Anyway its SS I'm the most worried about. Who starts? Dejon Gomes the 5th rounder from last year that played some but didn't really do anything starting worthy. Is it Reed Doughty the guy who is slow, gets burned, and should just stick to ST's, even though he's the most experienced veteran safety on our roster. Or is it Brandon Merriweather the 2X pro bowler who is still a F*** Up off the field, got demoted in the bears secondary last year, but is the easily the most talented of the 3...?

The most exciting thing in training camp to watch (Not named Robert Griffin) will be watching Niles Paul's transition to TE. That speed and strength will be very interesting into his transition. He could be similar to Aaron Hernandez (or he could be a julius thomas..exactly). Either way it will be interesting.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #18
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Most people have hit my big 3 already:

DBs: Interesting to see how the CBs and Safeties pan out. I think this is probably our thinnest unit talent wise. Would love to see Tanard Jackson and Merriweather play up to their potential, but that's a utopic view of that position.

WRs: We infused a lot of talent into this position. I'll be extremely curious how the depth chart works out. I'd love to see Garcon and Hankerson as the starters with Morgan coming in as our 3rd and Moss as our 4th. Not sure what we'll see there, but I think the depth chart here will be intriguing.

TEs: Maybe our strongest unit. I think Davis is the starter, but really want to see if Cooley is healthy and what Niles Paul has. I've been hearing nothing but good things about Paul as a receiving TE.

The OL gets honorary mention. I think they came a long way last season. Towards the end of the season our backups really gelled and got some real experience. I think we're stronger there than we're given credit for -- my only huge question mark is RT, especially Brown.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Starting safeties: Jackson, Merriweather > Gomes,Reed. If Medieu Williams can stay healthy, he can have an impact too.

He Gets Us
Old 07-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #20
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

QB: Grossman has not said his last word yet...

sorry, just kidding.

Actually I think the Helu/Hightower competition is going to be quite intense. Hightower was unstoppable till he got hurt but hell, then Helu was great !
Old 07-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #21
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post

sorry, just kidding.

Actually I think the Helu/Hightower competition is going to be quite intense. Hightower was unstoppable till he got hurt but hell, then Helu was great !
i dont think we'll have much of a "competition" at RB. They'll all get regular playing time. Assuming everyone stays healthy (and they wont), the split between hightower/helu/royster will be 40/30/30. in other words, don't own any of them in a fantasy league.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #22
30gut
Playmaker

I'm most interested in the FS/SS.

Both the players we brought in as potential starters scare the beejesus out of me.
Meriweather scares the hell out of me both on and off the field.
I wonder if he can play assignment sound football without freelancing?
Is he dedicated he to football or trying to play thug?

Tanard Jackson also scares me.
Don't look at pff:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...fensive-backs/
But they consider him to be one of the worst tackling Safeites in the league.

I'm concerned that we're just chasing ghosts with Meriweather/Jackson.
Which isn't unlike what we did w/ Atogwe except that he could actually play, just had a spot of bad luck w. injuries.
In fact I would rather have restructured Atogwe then signed these Meriweathe/Jackson

M. Williams was heathly and available but was striclty a special teammer last year.

You could argue that Reed Doughty is the most productive S on the roster and he's coming off a bad year.

Dejon Gomes is our lone bright spot, but is he ready to handle the responsibility of being a starting NFL safety?

Jordan Bernstein is my sleeper to make the squad.
I like the combination of size and speed he brings to the table.
And he has the versatility to provide depth to 3 spots CB/FS/SS.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #23
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post

sorry, just kidding.

I like your thinking newb! Welcome!! Look out this year NFL, cause we're gona Storm the Bastille on your as$%^&!!

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #24
RedskinsInNYC
Special Teams

Not exactly the sexiest of competitions, but what about Rackers v. Gano at kicker? I have no idea how that one is going to come out - Rackers is no Shayne Graham (I don't think). A couple of clutch kicks last year = 2-3 more wins.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #25
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinsInNYC View Post
Not exactly the sexiest of competitions, but what about Rackers v. Gano at kicker? I have no idea how that one is going to come out - Rackers is no Shayne Graham (I don't think). A couple of clutch kicks last year = 2-3 more wins.
I think Gano has to kick his ass off in camp to keep the job.

Rackers doesn't have the big leg like he used to be he's far more reliable.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #26
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyRedskin View Post
I like your thinking newb! Welcome!! Look out this year NFL, cause we're gona Storm the Bastille on your as$%^&!!
Whoa somebody knows something else about France than the frenchkiss!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #27
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinsInNYC View Post
forgot about that, its gonna be big. I think its gonna be close, but Big Rack will come through. I cant stand another year of Gano

He Gets Us
Old 07-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #28
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I think Gano has to kick his ass off in camp to keep the job.

Rackers doesn't have the big leg like he used to be he's far more reliable.
agreed.

a "big leg" isnt as important as it used to be with the new kickoff rules. unless we've gotten a big penalty, rackers should have no problem kicking to the endzone (if thats the play called) on kickoffs

now, a "big leg" IS important with field goals, but gano is inaccurate and unreliable even at short distances. i'd much rather have rackers and know he may not be able to hit anything over 45 yards with any consistency, but be money within 40 than have gano, who is not "money" at any distance.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #29
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
agreed.

a "big leg" isnt as important as it used to be with the new kickoff rules. unless we've gotten a big penalty, rackers should have no problem kicking to the endzone (if thats the play called) on kickoffs

now, a "big leg" IS important with field goals, but gano is inaccurate and unreliable even at short distances. i'd much rather have rackers and know he may not be able to hit anything over 45 yards with any consistency, but be money within 40 than have gano, who is not "money" at any distance.
Agreed! I hate this feeling when you know you can have a bad surprise, even in a situation where points are accounted for.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #30
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Banks is already gone imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I'm concerned that we're just chasing ghosts with Meriweather/Jackson. Which isn't unlike what we did w/ Atogwe except that he could actually play, just had a spot of bad luck w. injuries. In fact I would rather have restructured Atogwe then signed these Meriweathe/Jackson.

M. Williams was heathly and available but was striclty a special teammer last year.

You could argue that Reed Doughty is the most productive S on the roster and he's coming off a bad year.

Dejon Gomes is our lone bright spot, but is he ready to handle the responsibility of being a starting NFL safety?

Jordan Bernstein is my sleeper to make the squad.
I like the combination of size and speed he brings to the table.
And he has the versatility to provide depth to 3 spots CB/FS/SS.
Love the breakdown on safeties. I think this is a bigger weakness than corner. Doughty's past what prime he had. Love his effort on D and teams last season, and hope he stays, but if he's starting even at SS next season, we have major issues.
Closed Thread