Fletcher to Start against Steelers

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #16
Skinzman
The Starter

Re: Fletcher to Start against Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
To Matty, JR, NC etc etc: this is what haterade looks like. This is unbridled pessimism.

I'm just disappointed in our coaching, on defense mostly, but doesn't that fall on Shanny some too because he forced this sillier-by-the-day 3-4 experiment and we're still doing it, w/o the personnel (especially on the d-line) to make it work? I would actually like to give Haslett the benefit of the doubt and say he just doesn't get the 3-4 and that's why his gameplan/adjustments have been so lacking. I'd like to think if we switched back to a 4-3 Haslett, having all his experience with it, would get us back to a top 10-15 D within a season. And I pretty much believe it's possible. I think we have talent on defense.

And I think we have pretty awesome talent on offense. And while we've made good of that talent I pretty much believe we haven't made the best of it. The running game is elite, and tomorrow will likely prove it again. But I think overall, and especially with pass play-calling and design, we're leaving a lot out on the field. The end story stats are elite, but the story in the middle is inconsistency and especially when it counts most i.e. we leave some points on the field and in ways that seem pretty redundant.
I personally think you overestimate the talent on Defense. I just dont see it with some of the people missing. Especially given our safeties, which I think are probably the worst in the league. I think its a fair amount different if we not only have T. Jackson and Meriweather (Meriweather isnt a huge upgrade, but still an upgrade), but also Orakpo and Carriker out makes the front seven not as effective in the pash rush. Having said that, I agree with the switch to 4-3 and would love Shanny to eat his ego on it and switch back, im not convinced that we jump up as much as you believe though.

As for offense, I think the system is hiding a weak offensive line, especially in the pass blocking. Kyle does get too cute at times, that I wont argue. But I think the system helps put up points that we wouldnt have otherwise. I believe a traditional NFL offense has RG3 running for his life in the passing game and makes the running game less effective. Over time, I actually hope we can transition to a more NFL type offense. But I dont think we could have done it this year. Yeah, they leave some points out there for sure, but they also get some points that they really shouldnt have gotten.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #17
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I'd try and get Robinson in there on obvious passing downs and leave Fletch in there on run downs.
I'd tend to do the same. From everything I heard from people at Redskin Park this week Fletch must have had an unbelievably miraculous recovery the past two days. I just hope we don't regret this down the stretch. I think if we won last week he may not be playing today.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #18
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I'm just disappointed in our coaching, on defense mostly, but doesn't that fall on Shanny some too because he forced this sillier-by-the-day 3-4 experiment and we're still doing it, w/o the personnel (especially on the d-line) to make it work? I would actually like to give Haslett the benefit of the doubt and say he just doesn't get the 3-4 and that's why his gameplan/adjustments have been so lacking.
Truthfully, this is one of my biggest issues with Shanny the head coach. Not because he wanted to switch to the 3-4, but because he brought in a coach who hadn't run that scheme in 11 years. Haslett didn't want to run the 3-4, and has been running the 4-3 his entire career since leaving Pittsburgh.

I'm still befuddled why a coach would want to bring in a person to run a scheme that he clearly doesn't want to run or hasn't ran in a decade. To Mike's defense, Haslett wasn't his first choice. I really hope he wasn't even his 3rd or 4th choice to be honest with you. We as fans can say..."why didn't he get X person to do this." Well, that X person has a choice in where he goes, Mike can't force them here. You may had have a situation where coordinator's looked at the talent and decided it wasn't going to go well and either stayed or moved on to another team with better talent.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #19
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

When I hear that he's playing, has balancing issues, for some reason this comes to mind...hopefully he doesn't move like Ash today.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #20
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Why is the 3-4 being referred to as an experiment? It's not. It's out defense. We have personnel for a 3-4
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #21
MTK
\m/

The 3-4 isn't the problem right now. It's the secondary and the lack of talent there. It doesn't matter what type of front you play when you can't cover. Plus injuries have hurt the front seven and their ability to bring pressure. Between Orakpo and Carriker they combined for 14.5 sacks last year. Tough to replace that type of production.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #22
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Why is the 3-4 being referred to as an experiment? It's not. It's out defense. We have personnel for a 3-4
Because it's just one more axe to grind for the anti-Shanahan crowd.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #23
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Because it's just one more axe to grind for the anti-Shanahan crowd.

This. If anything, the legit gripe would be the coach he brought in to run the 3-4 scheme, not blaming the scheme itself. If people are going to bitch, at least bitch about the correct issue...lol I would have liked to see his list of coaches he preferred over Haz. Even so, we still lacked the talent on this D and having 4 starters out is crucial. Not too many D's (or offenses) will hold up losing that many starters.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #24
InsaneBoost
The Starter

Honestly, I don't see how this is good for either party unless he truly is 100%. I don't trust this medical staff, haven't since at least 2006. Fletcher apparently has played with this symptom(?) for weeks, according to him.

So perhaps that's why he's been playing so poorly. Perhaps poorly isn't the right word, but he definitely hasn't been his usual self. So if he isn't 100% on the field, not only is he still hurting himself, but he's also hurting the team.

I don't know why, and it just seems like this medical staff waits till something gets severe to look at it, rather than pouncing on it early to prevent problems. Now I know Fletcher doesn't like his information known or even to talk about it, so maybe he's partially at fault, but what about the other players?

InsaneBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #25
SCRedskinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneBoost View Post
Honestly, I don't see how this is good for either party unless he truly is 100%. I don't trust this medical staff, haven't since at least 2006. Fletcher apparently has played with this symptom(?) for weeks, according to him.

So perhaps that's why he's been playing so poorly. Perhaps poorly isn't the right word, but he definitely hasn't been his usual self. So if he isn't 100% on the field, not only is he still hurting himself, but he's also hurting the team.

I don't know why, and it just seems like this medical staff waits till something gets severe to look at it, rather than pouncing on it early to prevent problems. Now I know Fletcher doesn't like his information known or even to talk about it, so maybe he's partially at fault, but what about the other players?
I can understand our discussions and differences about football stuff -- that's what this forum's all about. (Even though most of us would be hard pressed to distinguish a 3-4 from a 4-3 alignment on any given play)

But I will never understand these kinds of comments on medical matters and making judgments regarding the competence of our medical staff. Just stop it, you have no idea what you're talking about (unless you're an MD, and then you wouldn't make these comments...)

And just what does "what about the other players" mean?
SCRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #26
InsaneBoost
The Starter

If you are referring to diagnosing injuries, rightfully so, I don't know what I'm talking about, but their track record on the other hand is another story.

Adam Archuleta, his back problems magically disappeared when we brought him here in 2006 right? Atogwe magically was 100% healthy when he came here? Even though the Rams had cut him after signing an extension because of injuries? Rogers eyes were good to go right? Landry's Achilles? Pierre Garcons injury which was supposed to keep him out a week max.

Those are just a couple of the MANY examples.

I can keep going. There are way too many things this team misses, some small, some big. Hell didn't Cooley just say he met with the doctor and when asked how his knee was he said "fine" and the doc told good and that he's cleared to play?

Medical staff IS a problem.

InsaneBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #27
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
To Matty, JR, NC etc etc: this is what haterade looks like. This is unbridled pessimism.

I'm just disappointed in our coaching, on defense mostly, but doesn't that fall on Shanny some too because he forced this sillier-by-the-day 3-4 experiment and we're still doing it, w/o the personnel (especially on the d-line) to make it work? I would actually like to give Haslett the benefit of the doubt and say he just doesn't get the 3-4 and that's why his gameplan/adjustments have been so lacking. I'd like to think if we switched back to a 4-3 Haslett, having all his experience with it, would get us back to a top 10-15 D within a season. And I pretty much believe it's possible. I think we have talent on defense.

And I think we have pretty awesome talent on offense. And while we've made good of that talent I pretty much believe we haven't made the best of it. The running game is elite, and tomorrow will likely prove it again. But I think overall, and especially with pass play-calling and design, we're leaving a lot out on the field. The end story stats are elite, but the story in the middle is inconsistency and especially when it counts most i.e. we leave some points on the field and in ways that seem pretty redundant.
Goat, its seems no matter what thread you post in your crush the coaching staff. How does this relate to Fletch starting vs the Steelers?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #28
44ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I'd tend to do the same. From everything I heard from people at Redskin Park this week Fletch must have had an unbelievably miraculous recovery the past two days. I just hope we don't regret this down the stretch. I think if we won last week he may not be playing today.
Why would that make a diff?
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #29
MTK
\m/

It makes today all that more important. ^^
Old 10-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #30
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
Why would that make a diff?
4-3 against a non-conference opponent, maybe you rest him.