Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Facebook

Parking Lot

Old 04-09-2015, 09:43 AM   #16
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Facebook

lol I couldn't resist that, sorry.

I wasn't meaning to put anybody down for its own sake, just strongly point out the flaw in the thinking. I don't think it makes any sense to say that teens set the direction for the future of social media because they want to be separate from their parents.

Advertisements
Old 04-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #17
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Not everyone has a business mind set they are simply talking it out on a Redskin's web site. I agree with what you said but making others feel small about their "thinking" level is not cool.

You must be a barrel of monkeys at neighborhood BBQ's. We have one like you in our hood we call him 1UP or Mushroom (after the ones in Super Mario you get for a extra guy).

Your a mental giant we got it. Bravo.
Naw. He's just Schneed being Schneed.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #18
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
No offense guys but this is a really stupid discussion. (no offense he says and then lobs a blatant insult)rather than the realities of business. Can we bring the thinking up a level?
Yet you joined right in. I guess that makes you just as stupid.

Quote:
1) It's just wrong to say Facebook isn't growing. Not growing in the United States? Maybe. Not growing internationally? Not even close. There are huge markets out there that Facebook hasn't pervaded yet.
Like which ones?

Quote:
2) Petulant teenagers who want to steer clear of their parents and everything they do eventually grow into adults who realize mom and dad weren't so crazy after all. Think about it, as an adult now, are you happy to be connected on Facebook to your parents, aunts and uncles? These other social media applications you mention don't offer the same medium for interacting. The narcissism of sharing pictures eventually gives way to a more adult desire to just stay in touch.
Why would they need to share the same medium for interacting?

Quote:
3) Facebook has merely scratched the surface with its revenue-generation model. Soon it will be minting money like only Google and Apple. Especially as it moves into more emerging markets. It's not going anywhere anytime (soon, or ever) because it's so F'ing profitable.
Thanks Captain Obvious! I do believe I DID say Facebook is profitable and WILL continue to be profitable so as long as it continues to change and evolve. It will NOT remain profitable if it stays in its current form, because eventually, as it always happens in the IT world, something else comes along that is better than the current best, and then ten years down the road, we make fun of guys like you who were beating their chest and proclaiming that Facebook will stick around forever.

Quote:
I feel like this discussion is about what the kids think is cool these days, rather than the realities of business. Can we bring the thinking up a level?
Yet again, you chose to be apart of the discussion. So logic would say you either stop complaining or you don't partake in the discussion. Seems pretty straightforward with me, unless you're just trying to troll.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #19
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Yet you joined right in. I guess that makes you just as stupid.
I guess if you consider 'joining in' to be riding in on my high horse and unloading a verbal beating in your direction for talking gibberish. What I'm not partaking in is being stupid.

Quote:
Like which ones?
Particularly Asia and South America where they have a presence but are still growing significantly, and just beginning to use targeted ad strategies, including local offices to help gear advertising to fit these cultures.

Quote:
Why would they need to share the same medium for interacting?
Because once people reach adulthood the barriers between parent and teen break down, and people are happy to connect with folks of all ages. You seem to be stuck on this notion that people only want to interact with people of their own age group. It's just false.

Quote:
Thanks Captain Obvious! I do believe I DID say Facebook is profitable and WILL continue to be profitable so as long as it continues to change and evolve. It will NOT remain profitable if it stays in its current form, because eventually, as it always happens in the IT world, something else comes along that is better than the current best, and then ten years down the road, we make fun of guys like you who were beating their chest and proclaiming that Facebook will stick around forever.
What about Facebook makes you think they won't change and evolve? What good is saying they'll be unprofitable if they don't change. It's like you think it's actually possible that Facebook will stay in its current form. Of course it will evolve, this is the very definition of an inane discussion.

Quote:
Yet again, you chose to be apart of the discussion. So logic would say you either stop complaining or you don't partake in the discussion. Seems pretty straightforward with me, unless you're just trying to troll.
I'm not partaking in the same exchange of drivel, I'm redirecting to a higher plane of thought. Finding it particularly difficult to steer you in the right direction though.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #20
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I guess if you consider 'joining in' to be riding in on my high horse and unloading a verbal beating in your direction for talking gibberish. What I'm not partaking in is being stupid.

Particularly Asia and South America where they have a presence but are still growing significantly, and just beginning to use targeted ad strategies, including local offices to help gear advertising to fit these cultures.

Because once people reach adulthood the barriers between parent and teen break down, and people are happy to connect with folks of all ages. You seem to be stuck on this notion that people only want to interact with people of their own age group. It's just false.

What about Facebook makes you think they won't change and evolve? What good is saying they'll be unprofitable if they don't change. It's like you think it's actually possible that Facebook will stay in its current form. Of course it will evolve, this is the very definition of an inane discussion.

I'm not partaking in the same exchange of drivel, I'm redirecting to a higher plane of thought. Finding it particularly difficult to steer you in the right direction though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVCtkzIXYzQ
Old 04-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #21
FRPLG
MVP

This thread has gone from dead to perfect.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #22
Schneed10
A Dude

Now this looks like a job for me
so everybody just follow me
We need a little controversy
Cuz it'd be so empty without SCHNEED

Old 04-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #23
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:58 PM   #24
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Very definition of being a troll. Insulting people online who you would not have the guts to say the same things to in person.

Quote:
They are starting to grow in those regions, but it's not due to Facebook's main application, rather its mobile features and games. And this is the point I'm making is that any growth that Facebook has had in terms of Facebook itself as a social network, has kind of leveled off. It's growth is being centered around other applications that are branching off of Facebook - such as the games, such as the mobile features like Messenger, not so much as its main course, which is a site to post text and pictures. That part is becoming more of an after thought. More and more people who do have posts on Facebook, have those posts going through other applications that can stand on their own without Facebook.

Quote:
You seem to read everything in a very narrow-minded thought process. No, that was not my point. My point is that most all social media has been led by the youth movement. This is why there was Friendster, MySpace, and then eventually Facebook and Google+. What better way to test out these social media apps than the most social demographics in our country - teens and college students. It doesn't make sense to market the social apps to somebody in our age group, because we're more than likely going to stay in touch with mostly our family and closest friends - people we already call and see on a regular basis.

Quote:
I never said Facebook won't change and evolve. As matter of fact, I'm saying the only reason why they are still profitable is the fact the they are evolving. Zuckerberg is slowly converting Facebook away from the main application and moving in the direction of developing many social apps. It's still a risky move and one that may spell Facebooks' doom, but this is the direction Facebook is moving. More than likely, Facebook will not be "Facebook" in a few years if this direction proves likely to succeed. I don't know what they will be called - I've heard things like Creative Labs thrown around (even though I thought that name was already taken.) But the point is, the application itself has served its purpose. I'm not sure why you think it's stupid to talk about the application itself. The application is what built the company. And likewise, we've seen a lot of big competitors in the IT world come and go, get bought out, or shut the doors completely. Some we never thought would go away. It's quite possible Facebook becomes a mega giant, and it's still a strong possibility they go the way of MySpace.

Quote:
That's because you have a difficult time communicating with people who are much more intellectual and mature than you are.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:19 PM   #25
SirLK26
The Starter

I imagine Schneed like Ice Cube sometimes, sitting behind the keyboard and just giving his screen that glare.

SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:05 PM   #26
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
I imagine Schneed like Ice Cube sometimes, sitting behind the keyboard and just giving his screen that glare.

Hahahaha. It's true. Some people have resting bitch face, I have resting WTF face.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:23 AM   #27
That Guy
Living Legend

i don't think facebook is dying because it got too popular.

it lets you share pics, micro-blog, IM/txt, and send event invites with basically zero effort, and it acts as a universal login with so many other sites and services (though i refuse to use it for that).

I post there about once a year... super active.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:24 AM   #28
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
i don't think facebook is dying because it got too popular.

it lets you share pics, micro-blog, IM/txt, and send event invites with basically zero effort, and it acts as a universal login with so many other sites and services (though i refuse to use it for that).

I post there about once a year... super active.
This is exactly why it doesn't make sense to say that the young set will set the direction for the next social media platform. My buddy SkinsGuy here seems to think that teens went from MySpace to Facebook because it was the next cool thing, allowed them to have their own network, and that they'll continue to do that. They didn't. They migrated from MySpace to Facebook because Facebook was way better. It gave more capabilities.

The difference between then and now is back then the social network space wasn't filled, now it is. It is an established market. It's not enough now to be the newest thing, you now have to be the best thing. With the resources at Facebook's disposal there's no way they won't stay on top.

This discussion reminds me of all the idiots who thought Apple was going to take down Microsoft in the personal computing business.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #29
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

At this point, I am following this argument only to keep up with the latest Schneedisms.

Quote:
No offense guys but this is a really stupid discussion.
Quote:
I feel like this discussion is about what the kids think is cool these days, rather than the realities of business. Can we bring the thinking up a level?
Quote:
*You're
Quote:
This discussion reminds me of all the idiots who thought Apple was going to take down Microsoft in the personal computing business.
That is some Schneedly gold right there.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #30
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
This is exactly why it doesn't make sense to say that the young set will set the direction for the next social media platform. My buddy SkinsGuy here seems to think that teens went from MySpace to Facebook because it was the next cool thing, allowed them to have their own network, and that they'll continue to do that. They didn't. They migrated from MySpace to Facebook because Facebook was way better. It gave more capabilities.
You're absolutely wrong. You're looking at Facebook's present capabilities and assuming that functionality has always been there. It hasn't. I know this. I've been on Facebook shortly after it was expanded to all college networks, not just the one. The functionality was quite limited. There was a character limit on posts (much like character limits with text messages,) there was no integrated games, there was no posting videos, or pictures in wall posts; in terms of capabilities back then, MySpace had more functionality.

The attraction with Facebook came because it was mainly a college only social media application. That's why the teens (who became college students) migrated to Facebook over MySpace. When Facebook opened itself up to everybody a few years later, that is when Facebook started gaining steam, and especially when Facebook started adding more of the functionality that we see today.

Quote:
The difference between then and now is back then the social network space wasn't filled, now it is. It is an established market. It's not enough now to be the newest thing, you now have to be the best thing. With the resources at Facebook's disposal there's no way they won't stay on top.
You're only partly correct. It is true that, now, social media is an established market. That's in large part due to the invention of the smartphone. Nobody ever said it simply has to be the newest thing. That newest thing has to have legs, it has to be interesting enough for people to want to use it. But to continue being the best, you can't allow your social media application to grow stale. That, in my opinion, is what has happened with Facebook.

Zukerberg knows this, which is why his company's eventual moving away from the standard Facebook app is inevitable. This is why he's working on a suite of social media applications - applications that can function on their own as well as be integrated. Some of those applications and features have failed miserably, (such as the Facebook home app for smartphones) but this is what the Facebook company has to do in order to remain top dog in the social media game. Zuckerberg will eventually move away from Facebook altogether; he has to. With the way technology changes, if he isn't the one to come up with the next big social media application that takes the world by storm, someone else will. Right now, he has enough capital to buy out his closest competitors (such as Instagram,) but, eventually, that won't be enough.

If you think Facebook, itself, is enough to remain top dog for years to come, you're fooling yourself. There is plenty that the application could do better that its users have complained about.

Quote:
This discussion is a creation of assumptions you made up to try and get a rise out of people. In my initial post, I said Facebook has aged out. It has. Aged out doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be dead and buried - that's why I never committed to saying I'm burying Facebook. You assumed that's what I meant and ran with it like some overly-excited fat kid with a fork in his hand. The problem is, you're going to trip over your fat little feet and poke yourself in the eye.

Long story short, I'm impressed that Facebook has lasted as long as it has. It's unheard of for applications like this to last more than five years. But by my own experiences with it, I see myself, and a lot of my Facebook friends (even the newest older users) using it sparingly. Most who do have posts on there have automatic posts that come from other applications that can be integrated. THAT is why Facebook is staying popular - it has its hands in every single cookie jar it can find. It's not that the application itself is THAT great. It's not that the application itself is such a different concept that others can't possibly improve on it or duplicate its success. It's just that the powers to be have to keep an innovation of ideas rolling in order to remain successful. Anytime anyone thinks an IT company is here to stay and there's nowhere to go but up, that's when those companies wind up falling.