Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

ESPN power rankings...Skins @ #18

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-06-2004, 04:13 PM   #1
MTK
\m/

I'm really not going to worry about a power ranking in May.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:20 PM   #2
saden1
MVP

The Skins don't deserve to be ranked high....but....anyone that overlooks anyone in the NFL is a fool. I love Gibbs but I'm a bit skeptical about how the Skins will perform this year.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:15 PM   #3
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

We really dont deserve to be 18, if you ask me. We deserve to be 27, since we were the fifth worse team last year. I think the whole idea of may power rankings is dumb, if you cant see a team play on the feild.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #4
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Anyone else feel the Patriots are a bit overrated? They lost their team leader and anchor in Ted Washington, Ty Law is disgruntled, and their offense wasn't exactly that good. They did pick up Corey Dillion, but I don't think he's exactly what they needed.

I expect an early exit in the playoffs from them.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:44 PM   #5
Drift Reality
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Anyone else feel the Patriots are a bit overrated? They lost their team leader and anchor in Ted Washington, Ty Law is disgruntled, and their offense wasn't exactly that good. They did pick up Corey Dillion, but I don't think he's exactly what they needed.

I think the one reason they may not be as good this year is because they're definately the marked team due to the fact that they won the Super Bowl last year.

As far as personnel is concerned though, I think both Traylor and Wilfork will be able to suitably replace Washington at nose; and I don't think Ty Law is going to play any worse just because he's miffed. Once he is on the field, it's all business.

In any sport, consistency is key, and the Pats are returning almost every starter from last year - except for Washington (already mentioned) and their RB - who has been replaced with a pro bowler.

Overrated?
Drift Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 08:24 AM   #6
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal

I don't know, the way they find a way to make things happen, especially after last season when they were just decimated by injuries yet somehow managed to run the table after their early loss to the Skins is pretty amazing. They deserve the early respect.

They may have lost Washington, but didn't they draft Wilfork? As for Dillon, if he doesn't fall in line there he won't fall in line anywhere. Bilichick has a knack for getting guys to buy in and buy in hard.

I wouldn't bet against them that's for sure. 2 Championships in 3 seasons is pretty damn impressive in this day and age.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:39 PM   #7
Bergman14
Special Teams

First of all, one man can make a difference, one man did make a difference, and it was Mike Vick. Were they that good when they made the playoffs and beat Green Bay? I would rather have Mike Vick then anyone else in any sport
Bergman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:47 PM   #8
Drift Reality
Impact Rookie

I think Vick is the most dangerous individual player with the ball.

That being said, I think he is far from being the best Quarterback.

If I was building a team from the ground up, I'd take Peyton Manning before Vick.

I just think he understands how to read a defense and distribute the ball much better than Vick - at this point in time.

Vick has the potential to be one of the best NFL players ever if he stays healthy and develops mentally, but he isn't the best quarterback yet.
Drift Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:46 PM   #9
itvnetop
Playmaker

seriously... no one had them winning in lambeau that year... i just think he's gonna be scary once he learns the nuances of being a throwing quarterback. i don't think it's going to hinder his natural abilities (running) at all. it'll make him the most complete qb in the game imo.

i still have visions of him toasting the fl. state secondary in the bowl game a while back...
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:10 PM   #10
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

If I had to start a franchise now I'd take Vick in a second. Unlike Manning he won't spend his first 4 seasons on his back.

Year before last he had the best or very close to the best TD/INT ratio. He rarely threw an int. He makes defenses respect his ability to take off which helps open up RBs out of the back field, crumpler, etc. Peyton you worry about his arm, nothing else. Vick can learn to read defenses and as the above poster said tune his game up. He's is head and shoulders the best QB in the game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ted Washington not only was a huge force at nose tackle, but he called assignments and shit. I'm pretty sure I saw that on ESPN. I think they're going to miss him horribly.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:03 PM   #11
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Vick is up for best athlete in the world, I dont really agree with that. Hes gifted but hasnt proved it yet. He had a good year two years ago but then was injured all last year, and lost a step from breaking his leg. Like the Skins, he doesnt deserve that much credit until he goes out and excels.

As far as the Pats, how can you not rank them first. For one, the Superbowl champ by default is ranked first. Second, they upgraded their running back position a lot, and With Wilfork and Taylor the improved in my opinoin at dtackle. Washingotn was hurt fo rpart of the year and is getting old. Now they have a force that is young. Colvin was out all last year and will be back, thats a great talent to be readding to the startign lineup. I am glad that we dont play the Pats this year, all they seem to do is win super bowls
Old 05-07-2004, 12:04 AM   #12
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES
Vick is up for best athlete in the world, I dont really agree with that. Hes gifted but hasnt proved it yet. He had a good year two years ago but then was injured all last year, and lost a step from breaking his leg. Like the Skins, he doesnt deserve that much credit until he goes out and excels.
he wasn't too shaby of a college or highschool player either. i can't believe barry bonds made it as far as he did in that espn thing. next thing u know they'll have nascar drivers and bowlers in contention for best athlete in the world. ( and I love bowling, but we ain't athletes. there's a big difference between being athletic and being skilled) i think best athlete should be going to someone who does the decathalon or something but i don't remember any in that brackett plus they aren't known by anyone, this was just a popularity contest.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 12:17 AM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru
he wasn't too shaby of a college or highschool player either. i can't believe barry bonds made it as far as he did in that espn thing. next thing u know they'll have nascar drivers and bowlers in contention for best athlete in the world. ( and I love bowling, but we ain't athletes. there's a big difference between being athletic and being skilled) i think best athlete should be going to someone who does the decathalon or something but i don't remember any in that brackett plus they aren't known by anyone, this was just a popularity contest.
I gotta give it to Lance Armstrong
Old 05-07-2004, 12:19 AM   #14
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootsmack
I gotta give it to Lance Armstrong
i can't argue with that cuz to win an incredibly grueling event like the tour de france 5 years in a row after having testicular cancer is absolutely remarkable.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 08:21 AM   #15
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

IMO - Vick is an incredible athlete, BUT he has yet to prove he is a great QB. No matter what anyone says, he is not going to take Atlanta deep into the playoffs with his legs. Over the season, he will probably win at least one, maybe more, games with his legs, but I just don't that working in the play offs - the defenses are just to disciplined. Unless and until he starts winning more games with his arm, he will (to me anyway) be the best running qb in the game. If he can put together a few 4th quarter drives where his passing wins it, then I think he will qualify as a great qb.

Mind you - I am not saying he can't or won't be able to do that (the man has a cannon for an arm) just saying he hasn't done it yet.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote