Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Redskins salary cap

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-05-2004, 09:49 AM   #16
Drift Reality
Impact Rookie

Brudlee makes a good point about the YPC. He was starting to pick it up a bit before he got injured.

That being said, I don't see what he brings to the table as a complimentary runner to Portis. Betts has an added dimension of being able to push the pile somewhat.
Drift Reality is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-05-2004, 10:04 AM   #17
Hogskin
Impact Rookie

The original premis of this thread is way off base. You are looking at 2004 status of the 2006 cap. It is obvious from the past few seasons, that one thing this team's management DOES understand is the financial side of the game. Their long range plan is to restructure contracts when it becomes necessary, utilizing the bonuses that get spread over the life of the contract. You just keep restructuring. And yes, there may be a blockbuster trade every year or two. Expect that to happen. The system is working well, and will continue to!!

Oh yeah, and don't forget, there will be large growth in the allowable cap amounts over the next few years...
Hogskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:24 AM   #18
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Reality
Brudlee makes a good point about the YPC. He was starting to pick it up a bit before he got injured.

That being said, I don't see what he brings to the table as a complimentary runner to Portis. Betts has an added dimension of being able to push the pile somewhat.
That's kind of my point. Betts does evewrything Portis does - but not as well. Canidatedoes different things - has better foot speed, which changes a defense's focus. I made this point last year after watching the Jets game. On one play, Canidate left the backfield and lined up as a wideout. The defense was scrambling, because Trung is as fast as any receiver we line up. That play (like so many others) didn't amount to much, but the threat forces the defnse to react, rather than act. Betts going into motion into the Z-slot doesn't have the same effect.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:53 AM   #19
FRPLG
MVP

The Skins make a joke out of the cap on a yearly basis. We have lost one notable player in the Snyder era (due more to the insanity of the Spurrier era than the cap really. They could simply have redone the deal just like they do with all the other big cap number contracts) and he has shown true foresight and ability to manage the situation. The thing to note is that the Redskins are constantly blazing the trail on dealing with the cap. How many tactics do other teams use that the Redskins basically invented? The reason this team struggles is not because they can't afford talent but because they can't identify it. Hopefully that is now changing under The Man
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 12:13 PM   #20
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrudLee
That's kind of my point. Betts does evewrything Portis does - but not as well. Canidatedoes different things - has better foot speed, which changes a defense's focus. I made this point last year after watching the Jets game. On one play, Canidate left the backfield and lined up as a wideout. The defense was scrambling, because Trung is as fast as any receiver we line up. That play (like so many others) didn't amount to much, but the threat forces the defnse to react, rather than act. Betts going into motion into the Z-slot doesn't have the same effect.
I disagree. IMO Portis is more like a stronger version of Canidate...that has produced, big-time. They're about the same size. Betts is more in the traditional bigger RB mold, ala Davis. If Portis were to leave the backfield and line up as a wide out, I'm sure the defense would be scrambling just as much...if not more.
I think either Betts or Rock will end up being the primary back-up, especially for "pushing the pile" short yardage situations. Canidate and Morton give about the same threat, and due to Morton being the KR and having a higher salary against the cap, Canidate will be gone by the training camp cuts.
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 03:32 PM   #21
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Reality
Agree - Canidate won't do anything to our cap thankfully.

That being said, I want to point out (as the resident a-hole) that we did waste a third round pick for this shmuck.

It wasn't Snyder's fault, this one should be put on Spurrier for thinking that Canidate was the answer at running back.
Canidate actually cost the team a 4th round pick, plus guard David Loverne-- who has done nothing of consequence in his career either before or since. Considering the Rams spent a first rounder on him only a couple of years prior, the Redskins getting him for a 4th-rounder doesn't look so bad-- especially considering he left his signing bonus in St. Louis.

Canidate was the kind of speed back Spurrier wanted, and Snyder went and got him. And of course, hindsight is always 20/20.

...and no need to beat yourself up for being the "resident a-hole"-- you're just the resident ("drift") realist!:cheeky-sm
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote