Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

First look at minicamp

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-30-2004, 11:27 PM   #16
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Where is joecrisp with his report? I want to know how the team really looks on the field this time around.
Redskins8588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-01-2004, 12:35 AM   #17
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

it was funny reading the post's report on the minicamp and saying how on almost every play taylor had to keep pulling his shorts up. i hope he doesn't get hurt because of something stupid like that.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 01:05 AM   #18
joecrisp
The Starter

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't checked in till now. I can tell you that aside from his imposing size as a safety and his oversized shorts, Sean Taylor looked very human in Friday's practice. But that's to be expected-- all the new guys seemed really overwhelmed.

To be truthful, the tone and performance of the practice was a little disappointing overall-- but maybe it's just because Sean Taylor didn't really do anything spectacular. That's what everyone came to practice hoping to see, but it just didn't happen. It's unfair and unrealistic to expect the kid to set the world on fire in his first practice, though.

The runningbacks looked really good, but I hate saying that, because any runningback is going to look good when nobody's wearing pads and the live bullets aren't flying. But Rock Cartwright seems to be playing with a little more pep than the other guys. I'm not sure if it's because he knows he's got a real uphill battle against Betts, Canidate, Morton, Simon and McCullough, or simply the fact that Runningbacks Coach Earnest Byner seems to be giving him a lot of attention in drills-- probably a combination of the two-- but Rock seems to realize he's really going to have to fight for a roster spot, and he's trying hard to impress Byner and the other coaches.
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 01:09 AM   #19
Cush
Impact Rookie

Quote:
No C Walking On The Field Sean!
C Walking? What's that?
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 01:26 AM   #20
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

what number was Taylor wearing, i could only make out the 3.

It must be hard for the rookies to just jump in, its not like they know any of the plays yet.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:05 AM   #21
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES
what number was Taylor wearing, i could only make out the 3.

It must be hard for the rookies to just jump in, its not like they know any of the plays yet.
Taylor was wearing #36.

Gibbs is definitely not cutting the new guys much slack. It's basically a case of Gibbs knowing that he's got a lot of ground to cover to get the team on somewhat equal footing with other teams that aren't going through a coaching transition, and he's not going to back off the throttle-- guys are going to have to catch up quick, or they won't be playing until they have.

So it's doubly tough for the rookies-- not only are they making the transition from college to the pros, but they're doing so in a very unfavorable situation where the learning curve has been ramped up by a coaching staff that is trying to accelerate their own transition.

Though the coaches are making some effort to bring the new guys up to speed, they certainly aren't overextending themselves in doing so. When I asked one of the rookie offensive linemen how much extra attention the rookies got after the morning coaching sessions, he chuckled and replied, "Maybe 15 minutes... not much." The rookies are being thrown into the fire, and the coaches know that if these guys truly have what it takes to be a pro, they will be able to overcome such adversity.

It's the age-old Darwinian approach to coaching-- only the fittest of mind and body will survive the summer's roster cuts.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:31 AM   #22
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

C Walking is some sorta dance that I can't really explain. All I know is schools ban it from school dances because of it's possible "gang related" connotations. It's basicly a dude hopping around, but it's interesting to watch!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 09:17 AM   #23
vermMan
Camp Scrub

yeah C walking stands for "Cryp walking". Its a small dance (like) manuver done by members of the cryps and white boys who dont know any better.
vermMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 12:54 PM   #24
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Not really verm. Name one White Boy with enough rhythm for that!
Old 05-01-2004, 01:09 PM   #25
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

That's what Ray Lewis does all the time isn't it?
Old 05-01-2004, 05:08 PM   #26
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Nah, C walk you kinda hop in the same basic area. Get out Kazaa and DL it. Or wait till mini-camp and Cpayne will be glad to demonstrate for you!
Old 05-01-2004, 07:17 PM   #27
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Hey Joe. How did my man Pat Ramsey do? I'm really rooting for him bigtime?
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 09:41 PM   #28
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
Hey Joe. How did my man Pat Ramsey do? I'm really rooting for him bigtime?
Ramsey looks like he never had a problem with that foot. You wouldn't know he had surgery at all. His velocity is certainly there, and his accuracy seems to be coming around. I think he'll do just fine this summer.

As for whether he really has an honest shot at being the starter-- we'll just have to wait and see. I think he'll be given every bit as much opportunity to showcase his skills in training camp as Brunell will-- at least for appearance's sake-- but whether that translates to equal consideration from the coaches will probably remain a mystery, unless Ramsey completely outshines Brunell in camp and still doesn't win the starting job.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:15 PM   #29
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Nah, C walk you kinda hop in the same basic area. Get out Kazaa and DL it. Or wait till mini-camp and Cpayne will be glad to demonstrate for you!
Funny.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 01:26 PM   #30
memphisskin
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Not really verm. Name one White Boy with enough rhythm for that!
Brent Barry busted out a little c-walking last year in the three point contest. He was even wearing Chuck Taylors, the shoe of choice for c-walkers everywhere.
memphisskin is offline   Reply With Quote