New Numbers: Sean Taylor #36.. didn't Timmy Smith retire that? haha

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-30-2004, 06:00 PM   #16
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
Skinsfan 44:

Since teams change uniform designs about as often as players change underwear, they should retire players uniforms with their numbers on it but allow new uniform designs with the same number to be used.

The current Skins' uniform with a #44 on it does not look like the one Riggins wore in the early 80s. So hang up a picture of Riggins' #44 in the Ring of Honor but let someone else wear #44 on the field now.
I like the idea of honoring a # but letting it still be worn. And of course asking that player first is always the best way to go. I'm sure most of them wouldn't mind, especially if Gibbs is the one asking.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-30-2004, 06:02 PM   #17
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Since teams change uniform designs about as often as players change underwear
Some of them are pretty superstitious! No washing the game day underwear till we lose! (That's why no team has ever gone 16-0!)
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 07:59 PM   #18
JudgeJebus
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
Since teams change uniform designs about as often as players change underwear, they should retire players uniforms with their numbers on it but allow new uniform designs with the same number to be used.

The current Skins' uniform with a #44 on it does not look like the one Riggins wore in the early 80s. So hang up a picture of Riggins' #44 in the Ring of Honor but let someone else wear #44 on the field now.
I think that's a perfect solution.
JudgeJebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:27 PM   #19
azskinsfan2
Special Teams

Alot of these ideas sound good but I just can't picture anyone else out there wearing a number 9 jersey. That is one that should be permanently retired!!! Probably DG's 28 also!!!!
You should definitely ask the player first though. Look what happened last year!!!!
Old 04-30-2004, 10:22 PM   #20
Dave Butz Baby!
Special Teams

Here's an idea for a permanent solution to all this, albeit a long term one. 2007 will be the Skins 75th year. The Skins could use that anniversery to set up a "Super Hall of Fame" of sorts (Snyder loves a good marketing scheme) and officially retire 4 other jerseys for a total of five, or one for every 25 years the team has been in existence. Then they could say that they will retire one jersey every 25 years. That'll stretch out the retiring of jersey's for a long time.

Then using SportsCurmudgeon's idea, hang the jersey's on the Ring 'O Fame with their plaque as a tribute to the guys that made the number famous, but make them available for use by the current team.

That would solve the problems for a long while... the Skins won't have retired ten jerseys until 2132!

And who knows if the NFL will still be around then...
Old 05-01-2004, 12:25 AM   #21
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

also, isn't #34 retired through out the league or was that just a possibility after sweetness died?
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 12:35 AM   #22
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I like that idea DBD. Fans could vote on the jerseys to retire, big promotional stuff, special limited issue throwbacks, etc. (all sorts of ways to make money on this one - it's amazing DS hasn't thought of it already). Of course, you need to rethink your math. After 75 years, only 3 jerseys (total) would be retired at one every 25 years. However, I think he should start with 5 (total) regardless and then one every 25 years as you suggest.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 11:46 AM   #23
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru
also, isn't #34 retired through out the league or was that just a possibility after sweetness died?
I've never heard of that. I do know that Andre Lott wears #34 though.

The only officially retired number of the Redskins is Sammy Baugh's #33.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 10:29 PM   #24
azskinsfan2
Special Teams

I've never heard of number 34 being retired league wide and as far as I know there no officially retired numbers on the Redskins. Those last ideas sound great though!!!