Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Official Skins sign Patten thread (merged)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #16
Defensewins
Playmaker

Re: Skins sign Patten

I really like the Patten signing, great move and probably a cheap solution. Could Snyder be learning to be frugal? Nahh!
Given that we signed a starting center/guard Raubach and filled our deep threat WR need with Patten...IMO, this might mean we are drafting defense with our first pick. Which would make me very happy.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-03-2005, 07:53 PM   #17
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I DO like the fact that we can go either way with that first round pick. Maybe we COULD get a beast DE to play opposite Daniels.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:54 PM   #18
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Also, is it just me or does it seem like we are building depth here?!
Old 03-03-2005, 08:01 PM   #19
AndySkinUK
Camp Scrub

David Pollack out of Georgia would be nice.

A defensive End group of Pollack, Wynn, Daniels, Evans and Warner would provide great depth.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:05 PM   #20
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I like this signing. I know guys want Burress, but thats the type of signing that would piss me off. I know we lost Perice and may lose Smoot, and if we are going to use that money to sign a bunch of role players, I can deal with that. If we throw it all at some flashy dude like Buress I dont like that so much. I still think we need to have Coles or another #1 type guy on the team, but I like this signing.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:05 PM   #21
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Most definitely. As the off-season rolls on I am getting more and more pleased. I love Smoot but if he won't budge, I would welcome Rolle in. NOT signing Smoot would be the one thing I would be upset about this off-season.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:21 PM   #22
terps and skins
Camp Scrub

i would like to see us get a defensive end in the draft, rather see james come our way though...

i think this was a good pick up, will be interesting to see how the depth at the wide receiver position plays out..and what other moves come during the offseason and the draft
terps and skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:22 PM   #23
Schneed10
A Dude

David Patten was a great pickup. Team player, hard worker, good deep threat. Teams will have to respect his speed. And I'm sure he won't cost much more than $2 million per season, if that.

I'm not going to sugar-coat it on Pierce though, losing him hurts. He was the brains on the D, that will be tough to replace. Now, last year Gregg Williams didn't know he had such a smart guy in Pierce, so he went out and got Barrow. Barrow was his MLB when they were with the Titans. Barrow is very smart and can do the job of calling the signals just like Pierce did. Only thing is, Barrow can't do that if his knee doesn't let him on the field. Question is, does Gregg Williams have another LB that can step in and call the signals if Barrow can't? That will be a huge question mark for our defense.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:30 PM   #24
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Speaking of Barrow... any word on his condition? I remember hearing something about Bubba saying that it might be career threatening.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:38 PM   #25
That Guy
Living Legend

if we keep coless as our short guy and patten as the deep guy, its very possible we go DE now... if we trade for moss, we're probably going for mike williams to replace LC...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:46 PM   #26
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winskins
We need a receiver who can make plays and be reliable. I think that Patten fits both those needs.

You guys are right that Burress has a world of potential, but we're not in Vegas: It's a gamble!!!

Got that right, remind's me to much of Michael Westbrook I don't want him.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:57 PM   #27
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
if we keep coless as our short guy and patten as the deep guy, its very possible we go DE now... if we trade for moss, we're probably going for mike williams to replace LC...

Basically our recieving core are midget's, we need that big possession type reciever, if William's isn't available when we pick I could see trading down and taking 1 of the other big reciever's, I just think we have to get a big target in there for Patrick, the only D-end that I see that could possibly warrant a top 10 pick is Arasmus Jones, which possibly could happen if we deciede 1 of the other big reciever's ALA C.Jones can do the job, other wise I think we pick a reciever, but these moves do affect that somewhat.

Last edited by MTK; 03-03-2005 at 09:22 PM.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:17 PM   #28
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection
And you're talking about THIS Patten?! I have dial-up at home so I hadn't taken the liberty of looking up his stats.
hellz yes i did not know till i looked and wow!!

# 86 David PattenPosition: WR
Height: 5-10
Weight: 190
Born: 08/19/1974
College: Western Carolina
NFL Experience: 8

RECEIVING
YearTeamGGSNoYardsAvgLgTD20+40+FD1997New York Giants1631322617.44025191998New York Giants1201111910.83911081999New York Giants160911512.81900062000Cleveland Browns14113854614.465161192001New England Patriots16145174914.7914112342002New England Patriots16146182413.5395120392003New England Patriots65914015.64203162004New England Patriots16114480018.248715437TOTAL11258236351914.9 9120539158

RUSHING
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:20 PM   #29
MTK
\m/

Not your typical splashy sign by the Skins but I really like it the more I think about it. Definitely a Gibbs type player. Here's his bio from Scouts Inc

Comment:
Patten is an undersized speed receiver, and he has been a nice fit in this offense that is so good running the short to intermediate routes. He is the perfect option coming out of the slot where he can use his quickness. Patten has also become a little bit of a vertical receiver for the Pats as they tried to stretch the field more last year. He has big play capabilities even though he lacks size. He has good quickness off the snap of the ball, he has explosiveness, he can run by a lot of corners in this league, for some reason he seems to surprise DB's and run right by them because he is so smooth coming off the ball. Is also an excellent route runner. He is quick in and out of his cuts, he is smooth in his hips, and does a good job creating separation. He is also dangerous after the catch. Can get upfield quickly, he is especially effective on crossing routes and can turn a short catch into a long run. He also has the ability to snatch the ball away from his body; he will make more high catches than you might think because of his vertical receiving skills.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:23 PM   #30
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
Basically our recieving core are midget's, we need that big possession type reciever, if William's isn't available when we pick I could see trading down and taking 1 of the other big reciever's, I just think we have to get a big target in there for Patrick, the only D-end that I see that could possibly warrant a top 10 pick is Arasmus Jones, which possibly could happen if we deciede 1 of the other big reciever's ALA C.Jones can do the job, other wise I think we pick a reciever, but these moves do affect that somewhat.
We have a big possession type of guy to go to, his name is Chris Cooley.

We had a big possession guy the last few years in Gardner, where did that get us?