Old 05-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: Nick Hanauer - Job Creator Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
More information along the same lines:

Barbara Ehrenreich, Looting the Lives of the Poor

Individually the poor are not too tempting to thieves, for obvious reasons. Mug a banker and you might score a wallet containing a month’s rent. Mug a janitor and you will be lucky to get away with bus fare to flee the crime scene. But as Business Week helpfully pointed out in 2007, the poor in aggregate provide a juicy target for anyone depraved enough to make a business of stealing from them.

The trick is to rob them in ways that are systematic, impersonal, and almost impossible to trace to individual perpetrators. Employers, for example, can simply program their computers to shave a few dollars off each paycheck, or they can require workers to show up 30 minutes or more before the time clock starts ticking.

Lenders, including major credit companies as well as payday lenders, have taken over the traditional role of the street-corner loan shark, charging the poor insanely high rates of interest. When supplemented with late fees (themselves subject to interest), the resulting effective interest rate can be as high as 600% a year, which is perfectly legal in many states.

It’s not just the private sector that’s preying on the poor. Local governments are discovering that they can partially make up for declining tax revenues through fines, fees, and other costs imposed on indigent defendants, often for crimes no more dastardly than driving with a suspended license. And if that seems like an inefficient way to make money, given the high cost of locking people up, a growing number of jurisdictions have taken to charging defendants for their court costs and even the price of occupying a jail cell.

I think I can see where this is going.
Yea, the poor make poor decisions and it cost them money. They always have (thats why they are poor in most cases) and always will but the left never wants to blame them (their voting block) for their bad decisions. I see it everday and you just want to shake them and tell them to stop doing stupid stuff. I'd say my bottom 20% of low income customers have more trafic violations then the other 80% of customers. Then they cannot understand why their insurance is so expensive.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #17
dmek25
MVP

do you only sell people the ins. that they need? is it about making money, or being able to look at your self. most high rollers are ruthless people
Old 05-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #18
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Yea, the poor make poor decisions and it cost them money.
...and when the rich make poor decisions, they make the poor pay for it.

Funny how that works. The poor (and middle class) have to pay for not only their mistakes, but the mistakes of the wealthy as well.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #19
dmek25
MVP

that came off like the wealthy never make bad decisions....hmmm
Old 05-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #20
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
that came off like the wealthy never make bad decisions....hmmm
They have people to do that for them....
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #21
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #22
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
do you only sell people the ins. that they need? is it about making money, or being able to look at your self. most high rollers are ruthless people
I sell insurance to people who don't even need it. Just this morning I sold a guy a homeowners policy and he does not even own a house.

I'm guessing in your book anyone making over a certain $ amount is a high roller?

Last edited by firstdown; 05-23-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #23
dmek25
MVP

any time you choose the almighty dollar over morals, you are ruthless. just most high rollers make their money by making ruthless decisions. i couldn't have done what Romney did to make a buck
Old 05-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #24
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
...and when the rich make poor decisions, they make the poor pay for it.

Funny how that works. The poor (and middle class) have to pay for not only their mistakes, but the mistakes of the wealthy as well.
What poor decisions did the rich make I'm paying for.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #25
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
any time you choose the almighty dollar over morals, you are ruthless. just most high rollers make their money by making ruthless decisions. i couldn't have done what Romney did to make a buck
What did Romney do?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #26
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
What poor decisions did the rich make I'm paying for.
auto industry bailouts, bank bailouts, defense bailouts... all of these cause by bad ceo level leadership and greedy mortgage bankers that ended up costing us all a lot of money.

and it's silly that i'd pay a 24%+ effective tax rate while those (like letterman) who get free money from subsidized farming, and others that hide money in off shore accounts and use low taxed investment income etc pay 15-18% even though they make 5-100x more than me. fair share and all.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #27
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Yea, the poor make poor decisions and it cost them money. They always have (thats why they are poor in most cases) and always will but the left never wants to blame them (their voting block) for their bad decisions. I see it everday and you just want to shake them and tell them to stop doing stupid stuff. I'd say my bottom 20% of low income customers have more trafic violations then the other 80% of customers. Then they cannot understand why their insurance is so expensive.
got proof? you still haven't told me how all those gi's would have managed even though you said it wouldn't be a problem either.

let's back up statements with facts instead of blind rhetoric please.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #28
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
They have people to do that for them....
Lolll
Old 05-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #29
dmek25
MVP

maximizing the value of acquired companies and the return to Bain's investors, not job creation, was the firm's fundamental goal
he downsized every company, with the idea of selling in the near future. jobs were a necessary evil, and cutting them was cost effective( at least short term) he basically made a living by firing people
Old 05-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #30
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
got proof? you still haven't told me how all those gi's would have managed even though you said it wouldn't be a problem either.

let's back up statements with facts instead of blind rhetoric please.
I've been in the insurance business for over twenty years and pulled thousands of driving records and its what I see.

What I said about the GI bill was that your saying without the bill they would not have gone to college and I say they would have found a way to attend without the GI bill. You think people need a gov. program I think people know how to make it on their own. The GI bill is not a very good example becuase it a benifit earned by serving.

Last edited by firstdown; 05-23-2012 at 05:52 PM.