Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #16
MTK
\m/

Re: A thorough ASS WOOPING!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
For instance...4th and 2, and we pass.

Or how about our first drive in the second half...8 passing attempts, 4 rushes...a TD (pass to Cooley).

After a fumble by the Lions, the Skins pass to Sellers for a TD, then goes for two and passes.

Just to name a few.

We got away from conservative play calling and used the pass to set up the run...something I've been preaching for a while...and not only did we win, we killed them.
Funny, we still had more rushes than passes today (35-29), and gained a nearly identical amount of first downs by rushing (11) and passing (12).

I honestly didn't see a radically different game plan out there, just much better execution especially by Campbell who was very sharp.

Advertisements
Old 10-07-2007, 07:34 PM   #17
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
For instance...4th and 2, and we pass.

Or how about our first drive in the second half...8 passing attempts, 4 rushes...a TD (pass to Cooley).

After a fumble by the Lions, the Skins pass to Sellers for a TD, then goes for two and passes.

Just to name a few.

We got away from conservative play calling and used the pass to set up the run...something I've been preaching for a while...and not only did we win, we killed them.
Did you mean first drive of the second quarter?
Old 10-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #18
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Funny, we still had more rushes than passes today (35-29), and gained a nearly identical amount of first downs by rushing (11) and passing (12).

I honestly didn't see a radically different game plan out there, just much better execution especially by Campbell who was very sharp.
You're gonna see what you want to see...I put it all in front of you in two different threads. While the first half of the Giants game had a similar plan, the 2nd half was amazingly different...and I'll say it again...no one complained about the play calls in the first half of that game, it was the second half. If you really can't see the difference between the 2nd half vs the Lions and the 2nd half vs the Giants, I can't help you. It's GLARINGLY obvious.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #19
jsarno
Franchise Player

Not sure even why we are discussing this...we won plain and simple, and we kicked ass. Don't care how we won, just care that we did...I'm sure we'll all agree to that.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #20
MTK
\m/

It's just funny that when we win, the play calling is somehow seen as aggressive or different than what we try to normally do.

All season long we've been just a play or two away from breaking some games wide open.

I think it's no coincidence that Campbell had his best day of the year and was very accurate, and all of a sudden the offense is humming.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:44 PM   #21
jdlea
Playmaker

This was a virtuoso performance by this team. They dominated every phase of the game. I love that they kept their foot on the gas. It was a great game.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #22
rypper11
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post

I completely agree with you. Gameplan has been similar all year. Extremely stiff D is the difference between wins this year. Take away the Giants 2nd half and this is a top 3 D.
Look at the past three years. More rushes = win.
I think going on 4th down is evidence that Gibbs has confidence in the D to shut down anyone and wants to prolong every drive as long as possible.
rypper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:53 PM   #23
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Our first full drive of the 2nd quarter against the Giants was a 6 play (3 run, 3 pass) drive that resulted in a TD pass to Cooley. Not dramatically different from the start of this week's 2nd quarter (fewer plays though)

Also, in the 3rd quarter against the Giants we ran a total of 6 plays (not counting punts), including 4 passing plays...for a total of -2 yards. That can't all be on playcalling
Old 10-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #24
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

playcalling consists of more than just calling runs or passes... direct snaps to portis? 4@2 quick pass, etc... there were adjustments in the playcalling. execution had a lot to do with it, and today we won the battles in the trenches, which is where the execution starts. If campbell has a minute to throw he will tear you apart... its nice.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #25
4mrusmc
Impact Rookie

Enjoy the win today, but tomorrow this team needs to focus on the packers. Here's to gaining respect, one ass beating at a time.
4mrusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #26
rypper11
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mrusmc View Post
Enjoy the win today, but tomorrow this team needs to focus on the packers. Here's to gaining respect, one ass beating at a time.
And isn't nicer to say that instead of we'll get him next time?
rypper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:15 PM   #27
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Our first full drive of the 2nd quarter against the Giants was a 6 play (3 run, 3 pass) drive that resulted in a TD pass to Cooley. Not dramatically different from the start of this week's 2nd quarter (fewer plays though)

Also, in the 3rd quarter against the Giants we ran a total of 6 plays (not counting punts), including 4 passing plays...for a total of -2 yards. That can't all be on playcalling
Which tells me that you don't want to take the aggressive approach on offense, but a more ball controlled approach...especially when the Giants have proven themselves to be a second half team. Or, at least to control the ball more on offense when you see the Giants heating up on offense. They had gotten into a rhythm in that second half, and we kept giving them the ball back when their offense was hot. In retrospect, we should've controlled the ball more by running it more.

You can't be all balls out aggressive with every team you go up against. There are going to be some teams that you want to play keep away from. The Lions today were a smoke and mirrors team that we exposed all day long. It's easy to be aggressive against teams like that.

I would suspect that next week, if we get another double digit lead up on the Packers, we need to play ball controlled and keep Favre off the field. Brett can't beat us if he's sitting on the bench. You don't want to get into a shoot out with Bret Farve.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #28
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Loved Every Second Of It! Not Being On The Tip Of My Seat In The Last Minute Of A Game Was A Breath Of Fresh Air!

Hell Of A Statement Game!
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #29
DEVIL'S OWN
No new threads for you

GREG WILLIAMS WAS a freaking genius today, he did no blitzing, completley taking the Lions out of there game plan, this plan may work against the packers, except they have a very good D
Old 10-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #30
DEVIL'S OWN
No new threads for you

also on the down the note, which i know, we dont wanna tackle right now, to many damn turnover's we let slip away, against a great team, could cost us a win, if we get fumbles on the ground, we need to secure them....period