Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Broncos)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #16
FRPLG
MVP

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Broncos)

I concur strongly.

I am conflicted on JC. He flashes between pretty damn good and totally under-performing. There's no middle ground. It seems to be a function of his accuracy mostly. Or maybe his accuracy is a function of the unevenness. Either way he seems to go on stretches where he can't do much right. Then he have a stretch where he makes plays and can't miss. He's got to find his happy place and live in it. Forget the pressure and just be a big boy out there.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #17
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I concur strongly.

I am conflicted on JC. He flashes between pretty damn good and totally under-performing. There's no middle ground. It seems to be a function of his accuracy mostly. Or maybe his accuracy is a function of the unevenness. Either way he seems to go on stretches where he can't do much right. Then he have a stretch where he makes plays and can't miss. He's got to find his happy place and live in it. Forget the pressure and just be a big boy out there.
Agreed...most people didn't see the first drive of the game, and I don't know what happened to that Jason Campbell for the rest of the game. Now that we have a running game back, Jason needs to realize that we're not asking him to put the team on his shoulders and win the game. The Redskins have always been a running team, and we just need him to compliment the running game.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #18
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
What a great week. Amazing vacation in Argentina and then I come home to a Redskins victory.

Some quick thoughts on the win, before getting to the smack down:

-Sherman Lewis' playcalling has been what we've needed for a long time. The different formations he's using and the different players is something that's seriously been lacking. Part of it comes from the fact that Cooley and Portis were on the bench, so there wasn't the inclination to just to to them all the time. That's not to say we're better without those guys, however.

-Loved the way we went old-school pound the ball and used our size on the offensive line against the smaller Broncos D-Line. At this rate, Levi Jones will be our starter at LT next year and all those looking for us to take an LT in the first round shouldn't hold their breath.

-That was an amazing pass by Hunter Smith

-The Andre Carter vs. Brian Orakpo sack race is pretty damn awesome to watch

-Didn't expect Simms to screw the pooch so badly

Ok...now time for the smackdown

Jason Campbell Another uneven performance. Uninsipring, in fact. Off on a lot of the early throws, and got away with what should have been yet another fumble in the third round. Campbell needs a change of a scenery. He can be, I think, a good QB in the NFL. But I think his time is done here.

Carlos Rogers Not so much his performance, which was poor, but more so his post-game comments. I understand that players can be frustrated immediately after a game and may say things they don't mean. But a) we just won and b) comments like these aren't new for Rogers

Santana Moss Becoming increasingly irrelevant

Devin Thomas You can tell I'm reaching now. But regardless, I want to see him do a better job running without the ball and getting in position down the field. When he has the ball he puts on some sick moves, but I don't want him just catching screen passes all the time
*Lewis has done a real nice job considering the circumstances. He called a great game yesterday. It's nice to see us not blowing timeouts and having game mgt issues.
*I wouldn't get too excited about Jones being our Lt next year. It's been one game but he did play real well.
*Good job by the defense for regrouping and holding down Denver to 17 after giving up 14 quick points.
* What can you say about JC? It's the same old thing. His stat line looks good but he did not play well yesterday. Too skiddish in the pocket, inaccurate, when oppoutunites were there he can't convert. I love his toughness and he's a stand up guy but it's time to get a new QB.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #19
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I am all for loving the win, but one other knock on JC was his intentional grounding call. I don't know if anyone else saw it, or if my view was wrong, but Yoder looked like he was WIDE open in the middle if not for a TD, at least a FD.
OMG yes!!! i was like what are you thinking that is a touchdown waiting for you with no one around him...Campbell's problem is that he is not a bad qb in that he doesn't make a lot of horrific mistakes and his accuracy is pretty damn good but he misses too many throws to be a SB winning qb.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #20
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Yesterday was the most satisfying day as a Redskins fan in a long while, man is it sad to type that!

I agree wholeheartedly on Sherm Lewis. For all of the 'BINGO' jokes we endured while it went down and the pundits ripping on the process (Sherm to Sherm to JC) we've averaged just over 20 PPG with him calling the plays and have ZERO delay of game penalties or delay related time-outs. Big difference in what we're seeing from the offense, especially in the past 6 quarters.

I've got to give love to our favorite pillow hugger-Fred Davis. He's done a great job of coming in and not leaving a void where Cooley's injury is. He's making plays in the passing game, getting good run after catch numbers and blocking much better. All around, he's been impressive. When Cooley returns, we could legitimately have a nice 1-2 TE threat.

I'd like to see more and more of Thomas. This is another stubborn-Zorn issue for me. Thomas needs to get the ball and get hit to 'wake him up'. Ok, so he's a pro and that's pretty sad that he needs that in order to get going-but if that's what it takes, then do it! He obviously can make plays when he gets the ball in his hands. Put him back on kickoff returns, throw him an early bubble screen, get him involved.

I'm with you on the smackdowns. Yesterday could have been a bigger blowout but JC left 14 points on the board in the 1st half. He overthrew Moss by a mile on what should have been a long TD and then missed a WIDE OPEN Yoder down the middle. I typed in the gameday thread that he was making it really easy on his critics yesterday. I'm with you, I think he's still got a future as a starting QB (as a game manager a la Orton, Schaub, Garrard, Pennington, etc) in the NFL but never as a play maker and not here in DC.

Rogers-well I said my piece in the other thread. A defensive version of Rod Gardner with worse hands.

Safety play-Yeesh.. Landry jumped a crossing route letting Marshall run free on the 2nd TD of the day, Moore bit HARD on a cross and go and luckily Orton missed Royal for another 6. They better tighten that up or else Austin, Crayton and Williams (ok-maybe not Williams) will be running free all day next Sunday in Dallas.
Honestly I'd try and trade one of these guys for a RT or LT or a high draft pick.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #21
Bill B
Impact Rookie

Great game by the team and I was totally shocked by the outcome but if they keep doing what they did I'll take it.

Couple of questions though:

1.) Why is ARE still returning punts? I know some coaches don't want to put starters into special teams but isn't there one other player the Skins can put back there that can provide more than what we are getting from ARE?

2.) I agree with Smootsmack about Levi Jones looking good but I would say that we still need to draft an offensive lineman with our first pick. I still think Heyer is below average and not the long term solution. At guard and center only Dockery is a keeper. Also using the 2nd rounder on a offensive lineman would not be a bad idea as taking two swings increases our chances of solidifying the line. Depending on how Jones plays out the rest of the year the Skins need to strongly consider extending him for a couple of years (lets hope we go uncapped).

3.) Orakpo is a complete beast - thank God the NY Jets outbid us for Sanchez and the other teams in the NFL kept passing up on him in the draft. Hopefully we get a linebacker and Orakpo puts a little more weight so he can be a full time DE.

4.) When Portis is cleared to play how should we split the carries with him and Betts?
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #22
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Smoot, glad to see you giving Levi Jones props - he was an absolute beast yesterday. If he can stay healthy, i hope we sign him to an extension. We still need more depth on the O-line though. Depending on who's avaialbe, it might still make the most sense to draft a tackle with our first pick, or atleast our 2nd. I'm not sold on Heyer and besides, if we went in to 2010 and either Heyer or Jones got hurt, who the heck would replace them? OT and QB need to be our first two picks next year. Its pretty much non-negotiable.

Glad to see you calling out Campbell as well. Honestly, i'm regretting we put Brennan on IR right now, and i imagine Zorn is as well.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #23
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
What a great week. Amazing vacation in Argentina and then I come home to a Redskins victory.

Some quick thoughts on the win, before getting to the smack down:

-Sherman Lewis' playcalling has been what we've needed for a long time. The different formations he's using and the different players is something that's seriously been lacking. Part of it comes from the fact that Cooley and Portis were on the bench, so there wasn't the inclination to just to to them all the time. That's not to say we're better without those guys, however.

-Loved the way we went old-school pound the ball and used our size on the offensive line against the smaller Broncos D-Line. At this rate, Levi Jones will be our starter at LT next year and all those looking for us to take an LT in the first round shouldn't hold their breath.

-That was an amazing pass by Hunter Smith

-The Andre Carter vs. Brian Orakpo sack race is pretty damn awesome to watch

-Didn't expect Simms to screw the pooch so badly

Ok...now time for the smackdown

Jason Campbell Another uneven performance. Uninsipring, in fact. Off on a lot of the early throws, and got away with what should have been yet another fumble in the third round. Campbell needs a change of a scenery. He can be, I think, a good QB in the NFL. But I think his time is done here.

Carlos Rogers Not so much his performance, which was poor, but more so his post-game comments. I understand that players can be frustrated immediately after a game and may say things they don't mean. But a) we just won and b) comments like these aren't new for Rogers

Santana Moss Becoming increasingly irrelevant

Devin Thomas You can tell I'm reaching now. But regardless, I want to see him do a better job running without the ball and getting in position down the field. When he has the ball he puts on some sick moves, but I don't want him just catching screen passes all the time
Moss would not be irrelevant if our QB could throw a long ball. Maybe we should bring out HS for those plays.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #24
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
Great game by the team and I was totally shocked by the outcome but if they keep doing what they did I'll take it.

Couple of questions though:

1.) Why is ARE still returning punts? I know some coaches don't want to put starters into special teams but isn't there one other player the Skins can put back there that can provide more than what we are getting from ARE?

2.) I agree with Smootsmack about Levi Jones looking good but I would say that we still need to draft an offensive lineman with our first pick. I still think Heyer is below average and not the long term solution. At guard and center only Dockery is a keeper. Also using the 2nd rounder on a offensive lineman would not be a bad idea as taking two swings increases our chances of solidifying the line. Depending on how Jones plays out the rest of the year the Skins need to strongly consider extending him for a couple of years (lets hope we go uncapped).

3.) Orakpo is a complete beast - thank God the NY Jets outbid us for Sanchez and the other teams in the NFL kept passing up on him in the draft. Hopefully we get a linebacker and Orakpo puts a little more weight so he can be a full time DE.

4.) When Portis is cleared to play how should we split the carries with him and Betts?
If I'm correct Moss was back for several returns with no results. Maybe the comment from our coach saying we go for the blocked punt instead of setting up the return might have something to do with it.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #25
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Smoot, glad to see you giving Levi Jones props - he was an absolute beast yesterday. If he can stay healthy, i hope we sign him to an extension. We still need more depth on the O-line though. Depending on who's avaialbe, it might still make the most sense to draft a tackle with our first pick, or atleast our 2nd. I'm not sold on Heyer and besides, if we went in to 2010 and either Heyer or Jones got hurt, who the heck would replace them? OT and QB need to be our first two picks next year. Its pretty much non-negotiable.

Glad to see you calling out Campbell as well. Honestly, i'm regretting we put Brennan on IR right now, and i imagine Zorn is as well.

I have had many of my coworkers -Saint,Eagle,Cowboy and Bear fans- ask me about Colt and why he wasnt playing yet. Maybe if he wasnt being protected by our 2nd string oline in the preseason which is worse than the 1st string that isnt spectacular in their own right he would still be in the mix. Oh well,maybe he will get 1 last shot next season while our rook learns the playbook.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #26
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

Colt! colt! colt! colt! He didn't play Sunday, but that's all you think about. We need to deal with what we have on the filed. We have some pretty good players. We don't have Pro Bowlers at every position. But who does? Coaching has gotten better for the offense and we are seeing the results. Sherm helping Sherm.
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #27
Ruhskins
Living Legend

This is the same Colt Brennan that seemed to almost be ousted by Chase Daniel? Please, give me a rookie QB with better potential than Brennan. Besides, if Zorn is gone, so is Brennan (or he remains the 3rd stringer).
R.I.P. #21
Old 11-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #28
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

I was speaking about who would be our QB for the remainder of 2009. Campbells not getting it done. If he weren't on IR, i'm pretty confident Brennan would be playing now. Going in to 2010, Colt can compete with whoever we draft/sign in free agency. That said, its entirely possible whoever takes over as HC next year won't be running the WCO, in which case Brennan is completely irrelevant.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #29
MTK
\m/

Honestly I would hate to see where we would be at with CB in there.

I think yesterday showed that with a good running game and decent protection JC can manage the game and give us enough from the QB spot to win.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #30
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I was speaking about who would be our QB for the remainder of 2009. Campbells not getting it done. If he weren't on IR, i'm pretty confident Brennan would be playing now. Going in to 2010, Colt can compete with whoever we draft/sign in free agency. That said, its entirely possible whoever takes over as HC next year won't be running the WCO, in which case Brennan is completely irrelevant.
I think the whole team was not getting it done. I don't see the point of having a QB change right now, especially when the coaching staff may be gone next season. And let's not forget that Brennan's was Zorn's pick. If you draft a new QB, why would you make him compete with Colt if you're a new coach here in Washington? Just like why would you keep Campbell as a starter. I think if the team gets their future QB through the draft, Brennan will be gone or the 3rd stringer, and Campbell will be either gone or will be the 2nd stringer.
R.I.P. #21