Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Is Blache losing touch with reality?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #16
SkinzzFan
Special Teams

Re: Is Blache losing touch with reality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
A lot of people are expecting miracles from the defense because we've added big Al. I agree with the poster who is of the opinion Blache is trying the best he can to temper that feeling because Haynesworth still has to play within the confines of the defense.

Because our offense has had trouble trouble scoring points the last few years, that fact has much to do with the way we play defense. We can't gamble a lot on defense and get behind because we don't have the offense to bring us back. If/when the offense picks it up and scores more points, the defense can then play a little more aggressive.
Excellent point.

Advertisements
Old 09-19-2009, 11:04 PM   #17
53Fan
Franchise Player

I just read and interesting article on Blache from 2005. The article questions whether he is a good fit here. His last year as DC with the Bears his defense had a total of 18 sacks for the year. It seems he's always used big DT's to primarily keep blockers off the LB's and had underachieving DE's. He has never put much stock in sacks. I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever see the kind of defense that the FO is seeking as long as he is DC. We acquire pass rushers and that doesn't appear to be what he wants going by his past and present philosophy.

Last edited by 53Fan; 09-19-2009 at 11:21 PM.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #18
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I just read and interesting article on Blache from 2005. The article questions whether he is a good fit here. His last year as DC with the Bears his defense had a total of 18 sacks for the year. It seems he's always used big DT's to primarily keep blockers off the LB's and had underachieving DE's. He has never put much stock in sacks. I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever see the kind of defense that the FO is seeking as long as he is DC. We acquire pass rushers and that doesn't appear to be what he wants going by his past and present philosophy.
You are right my friend, he really hasn't had any DE to speak off. I really would have liked to see Jerry Gray or Olivadotti as DC. Maybe next year.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:22 AM   #19
insideman
Special Teams

He's tired of all the pressure thats put on the defense due to the lack of productivity from the offense. If the offense could produce more then he might seem so edgey around the media and such.
insideman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:47 AM   #20
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
You are right my friend, he really hasn't had any DE to speak off. I really would have liked to see Jerry Gray or Olivadotti as DC. Maybe next year.
Jerry Gray sure as hell would deserve the promotion...however at this point like another poster said it would be very tempting to grab a coach from NY, Philly, Pitt or Baltimore...let's face it all those have far better defenses.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:11 AM   #21
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Does the article state what happened to the Bears in 2006?

In the meantime I think you guys have the wrong idea when it comes to Blaches style of defense.

Quote:
During his tenure, Blache's defenses forced 138 turnovers, including 37 in 2001, the most by a Bears defense since 1990, and accounted for 13 touchdowns (two in 1999, four in 2000, five in 2001, one in 2002, and one in 2003).

In 2002, Blache dealt with numerous injuries, leading to 11 different starting line-ups over the course of 16 games. While juggling personnel, the Bears defense continued with their attacking, aggressive style that set records during the 2001 season.

They forced 64 tackles behind the line of scrimmage and reached a league plateau by forcing at least one turnover in 33 consecutive games, the second longest active streak in the NFL at the time.

In 2001, Blache molded the Bears defense into one of the top units in the league, producing the top-ranked scoring defense by allowing only 203 points in 16 games (12.7 points per game). His run defense finished second in the NFL and first in the NFC, allowing just 82.1 yards per game, while allowing only three rushes of 20 yards or more all seasons and only six rushing touchdowns.

Prior to joining the Bears, Blache served as defensive line coach for the Indianapolis Colts for five seasons (1994-98) and held the same position with the Green Bay Packers for six years (1988-93).

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #22
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Does the article state what happened to the Bears in 2006?

In the meantime I think you guys have the wrong idea when it comes to Blaches style of defense.
The Bears defense had a great year in 2006 but Blache wasn't there. Blache got here in 2004. The 2001 season was a great year for Blache in Chicago, the other 4 years were mediocre at best. The Bears defense got substantially better rankings after Blache left.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #23
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I sometimes think fans here are trying too hard to find reasons not to like Blache. He's old-school, he's abrasive, he rubs people the wrong way. But he's a good, well-respected coach and I think we're reading too much into what he's saying here.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #24
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I sometimes think fans here are trying too hard to find reasons not to like Blache. He's old-school, he's abrasive, he rubs people the wrong way. But he's a good, well-respected coach and I think we're reading too much into what he's saying here.
It's simple. If the Offense plays better, the Defense will play better:

1) Less time on the field

2) If we can ever get a lead, we can make other teams one-dimensional, which will lead to:

3) More turnovers

Blache ain't the problem. It's our coach/coordinator and QB who haven't scored 30 points in 19 games. Fix that and everything will be fine.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #25
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I agree with the bold and it's not that I don't like Blache SS, I think we'll have a good defense this year. I'd just like to see more of an emphasis on getting to the QB and creating a little more confusion with our defensive packages. Blitzes in particular. I'm hoping we'll get more turnovers and more three and outs this year. It's still early, maybe we will. But I have to wonder about things like the DB's giving such a big cushion in the Giants game. I know we're going to adjust that but, you mean we had to play the game before we realized it? I hope Blache's defense kicks ass this year. I would love that.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #26
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
at this point i do not like greg blache lack of aggression, and the infamous cusions that allows our secondary to give up too many crucial first down plays.

i say he eithers shapes up or ships out, may have been a top 4 defense last year but i put that on the players, i do NOT think he uses Landry correctly.... i still do NOT agree with Orakpo at LB the majority of the time .....

i just ..... really think it's time we look elsewhere if he doesnt correct these subtle, yet big flaws in his defensive philosiphy.... IMO ...

... i just dont like the guy anymore.
HMM, the D was ranked 4th and our O around 28th and its GB that might need to go. Isn't that backwards?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #27
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
I agree with the bold and it's not that I don't like Blache SS, I think we'll have a good defense this year. I'd just like to see more of an emphasis on getting to the QB and creating a little more confusion with our defensive packages. Blitzes in particular. I'm hoping we'll get more turnovers and more three and outs this year. It's still early, maybe we will. But I have to wonder about things like the DB's giving such a big cushion in the Giants game. I know we're going to adjust that but, you mean we had to play the game before we realized it? I hope Blache's defense kicks ass this year. I would love that.
Well the D had two turnovers and should have had 3 but old butter fingers dropped another ball.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #28
53Fan
Franchise Player

Our offense needs to get on track and start making plays. There is no doubt about that. Pittsburgh won the SB last year with the #1 defense. That didn't stop them from taking a DT, Ziggy Hood, with their first round pick. Whether the offense is good or bad, you still want the other parts of your team to play as well as they can don't you? Or is the defense suppose to just stand pat and say, "We'll get better after the offense gets better?" The fact that we need to get more sacks and turnovers, and get off the field quicker has nothing to do with the offense. That's what good defenses do. Blache can't do anything about the offense but he CAN make the defense better and I'm not satisfied with them being "pretty good" regardless of how the offense is playing. I'm not sure how wanting the defense to play better is taken as an endorsement of the offense. I love defense and would like to see them kick ass. Regardless of how the offense plays, at least I could get some pleasure from that.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #29
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Jerry Gray sure as hell would deserve the promotion...however at this point like another poster said it would be very tempting to grab a coach from NY, Philly, Pitt or Baltimore...let's face it all those have far better defenses.
I think that instead of going to other franchises and getting their coaches, that we should go within our own team and find our next Richie Petitbone. I don't know how much longer Blache will coach, but Gray and Olivadotti are young up and coming coaches and should be considered the for the DC position before somebody raids them from us.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #30
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Our offense needs to get on track and start making plays. There is no doubt about that. Pittsburgh won the SB last year with the #1 defense. That didn't stop them from taking a DT, Ziggy Hood, with their first round pick. Whether the offense is good or bad, you still want the other parts of your team to play as well as they can don't you? Or is the defense suppose to just stand pat and say, "We'll get better after the offense gets better?" The fact that we need to get more sacks and turnovers, and get off the field quicker has nothing to do with the offense. That's what good defenses do. Blache can't do anything about the offense but he CAN make the defense better and I'm not satisfied with them being "pretty good" regardless of how the offense is playing. I'm not sure how wanting the defense to play better is taken as an endorsement of the offense. I love defense and would like to see them kick ass. Regardless of how the offense plays, at least I could get some pleasure from that.
Excellent post.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote