Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

Parking Lot

Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Re: Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
Linux can be very internet-dependent and time-dependent for newcomers(Debian squeeze and then sid in my case). Crossover can facilitate the transition, but for a price.

Not contradicting you. I'm just sayin'.
It's definitely a bit of a learning curb for newcomers, yes. I think most newcomers tend to play around with Ubuntu. My favorite has been Fedora. I'm fixing up my old Dell computer (hard drive went bye bye) and will probably just put the latest distro of Fedora on it. I still have a new Dell with Windows 7 on it that I have connected to my big screen in the living room, and my old laptop with Windows XP. Have never crossed into the MAC world even though I do know enough about MAC to troubleshoot minor glitches.

But getting back to the network issue, my fiancee uses her macbook at work (most all of them use macs) and they have had several issues with connecting to their file server at work.

Advertisements
Old 01-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #17
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I'm not a big fan of Fedora 16. I haven't used it enough to say I for sure don't like it, but the bit I've played I've been unimpressed with the new stuff. I definitely preferred 14/15. In fairness the job I've had for the past 1.5 years is a pure Windows shop, so my Linux skills are quickly eroding into nothingness. Need to start playing a bit more.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I'm not a big fan of Fedora 16. I haven't used it enough to say I for sure don't like it, but the bit I've played I've been unimpressed with the new stuff. I definitely preferred 14/15. In fairness the job I've had for the past 1.5 years is a pure Windows shop, so my Linux skills are quickly eroding into nothingness. Need to start playing a bit more.
They're up to 16 now? The last time I had a Fedora distro was around 11 I think. That wasn't very long ago. Just about when you download the latest version, it's already been replaced by the next version.

Like you, I work in a Windows environment as well, but on a Novell network. So, I don't get to use any Linux for work. That's why I wanted to go back to Fedora (it's just my favorite flavor) so I can get back into it. I figured it can only help me down the road.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #19
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
They're up to 16 now? The last time I had a Fedora distro was around 11 I think. That wasn't very long ago. Just about when you download the latest version, it's already been replaced by the next version.

Like you, I work in a Windows environment as well, but on a Novell network. So, I don't get to use any Linux for work. That's why I wanted to go back to Fedora (it's just my favorite flavor) so I can get back into it. I figured it can only help me down the road.
Ahhh, the good ol' days of Novell. Do you still use Groupwise too? We made the change to AD about 5 years ago and everyone was like, "OMGGZZ!!11 AD will be so much better than Novell."

To be honest, there's a ton we miss about Novell, particularly Groupwise.

Sure, AD is much more flexible, but damn was Novell easy to administer.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #20
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Ahhh, the good ol' days of Novell. Do you still use Groupwise too? We made the change to AD about 5 years ago and everyone was like, "OMGGZZ!!11 AD will be so much better than Novell."

We don't use Groupwise. We use Novell mainly for file storage, instant messaging, etc....I don't know what version of Novell we have (I'm not the network admin) but let's just say we have never upgraded it since I've been here, and I'm almost certain they have never upgraded since they purchased it years ago....lol!
Old 01-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #21
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

...and when I say instant messaging, it's more like those net messages you used to send through the DOS SHELL from Windows....
Old 01-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #22
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post

Easy = limited functionality usually. Hahaha
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #23
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Easy = limited functionality usually. Hahaha
Indeed. The job I just left ended up having a ton of "technology for technology's sake" to where it was constantly changing and 99% of people just want to come in, have their computer's work and then leave. I think that's why most people miss Novell, lol.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I just got an iMac recently, so it came already installed.

I think most of the issues come when people upgrade from Snow Leopard from what I've read about it.
Not surprising, I had issues with Snow Leopard when upgrading TO it too. Quickbooks specifically would not register, could no longer use that version for that OS. Seriously, bought software, used it...go to a new OS and the software you already registered is no longer registered and will not register with the new OS...that should not happen. Called Intuit and they straight out told me, Snow Leopard doesn't like your version of Quickbooks.

Argh.

That's when I decided I prefer my Windows 7 PC to my Mac.