Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What is the team's biggest need after the draft?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #16
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: What is the team's biggest need after the draft?

This sounds crazy but T.O would actually help our offense next season. That way we could move moss to the slot, start Thomas and owens. Malcolm would get alot of reps also. I still don't know if Davis and cooley will both play great together. Can't wait for the season to start!!

Advertisements
Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #17
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

The Redskins did the one thing that many educated fans have been yearning for the past few years, fill needs. Artis Hicks was brought in to start at RT, many observers considered him the top back up lineman in the league.

The Oline now has depth at every position:
LT: T. Williams, Heyer
LG: Dockery, Lichtensteiger,Cook
C: Rabach, E.Williams
RG: M.Williams, Rinehart, Fanaika
RT: Hicks, Selvish

As well as other training camp fodder.
We needed young special teams guys we got a returner in Austin and special teamer in Riley.
Qb is good with McNabb, Grossman, Brennan, Bartel and reportedly Daryll Clark.

I feel our only needs as of now is a WR, possibly TO and Linebacker depth that can cover hopefully Thomas. As well as a coverage FS possiblty Sharper or Chris McAilister if he can convert easily.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #18
johno
Impact Rookie

i would really like to see an upgrade at FS. WR corps will hopefully improve with a better quarterback, bolstered oline, and talented offensive coordinator. We could use a legit RT, too.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #19
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
The Redskins did the one thing that many educated fans have been yearning for the past few years, fill needs. Artis Hicks was brought in to start at RT, many observers considered him the top back up lineman in the league.

We needed young special teams guys we got a returner in Austin and special teamer in Riley.

I feel our only needs as of now is a WR, possibly TO and Linebacker depth that can cover hopefully Thomas. As well as a coverage FS possiblty Sharper or Chris McAilister if he can convert easily.
I have no idea who those people are.

I do think we're at least as deep on the line as we are strong.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #20
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:

Erik Cook is a Center also and has great technique according to his scouting report. He could end up being ahead of Edwin on the depth chart. There should be a 3-way competition for starting Center. I said SHOULD be...hopefully it's open.

By the way, who is Fanaika? If Alen Faneca, don't bet on him coming here. I'd bet 20 teams would want him at least and he's not the best fit for Shanahan's system.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #21
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

I'd say RT and then PK. I wouldn't mind if we signed Flozell to come in and play RT for a couple of years while Capers develops. I don't understand why this franchise continues to ignore the PK position. With as many close games as we've played over the past decade, a good to great PK is the difference between 1-2 games per year. Are we really comfortable with Graham Gano and Justin Medlock?

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #22
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

^Paul Fanaika... as many have said Cook is too large to be at center. not true?
Old 04-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #23
freddyg12
Playmaker

If a 3-4 is the base, I think ILB is the most glaring potential weakness on this team. Fletcher & Rocky are both not ideal 3-4 ILBs. I don't know what to expect of them in that role. Both could be gone easily next year. We only have Blades and a rookie 4th rounder as depth.

O line is still a concern overall. RT is still a weak spot, but I feel better that they've got Hicks as #1 on the depth chart. Heyer might be really motivated to improve & get a contract, so RT might be decent as is.

I am always surprised that there's no love on here for Kareem Moore at FS. I thought he played well when given a chance. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts this year. I just don't see safety as a position of need compared to others.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #24
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

1. Until proven otherwise, OL is our top need. Williams is, hopefully, starting caliber on day one but we have only two established starting level O-Line guys - Rabach and Dockery. Everything else along the line is conjecture. Another solid and established starter (Fanaca, J. Brown) would at least ratchet down the speculative nature of next year's line. Until proven otherwise or until we aquire proven talent, our line is still our biggest question mark.

2. I almost agree with GTripp, our RB's are all guys past their prime - but I don't think this is the primary need.. I think in tandem, they can get the job done, but yes, these guys are all now stop gaps. Unlike the line, at least they have shown they can get it done. The league has a history of backs who have had mini-revivals in their later careers. Maybe lightning strikes.

3. Inside LB - for the 3-4 who do we have? Fletcher and who else? Blades? maybe. Not convinced he is an everydown LB. Granted, Fletch is key in more ways than just position, but if he goes down, our inside presence is pretty much shot.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #25
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
^Paul Fanaika... as many have said Cook is too large to be at center. not true?
He's probably BETTER off playing in the middle as he's not that mobile. All of his scouting reports applaud his "natural knee bending" so I think that takes care of his height.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #26
vallin21
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
If a 3-4 is the base, I think ILB is the most glaring potential weakness on this team. Fletcher & Rocky are both not ideal 3-4 ILBs. I don't know what to expect of them in that role. Both could be gone easily next year. We only have Blades and a rookie 4th rounder as depth.

O line is still a concern overall. RT is still a weak spot, but I feel better that they've got Hicks as #1 on the depth chart. Heyer might be really motivated to improve & get a contract, so RT might be decent as is.

I am always surprised that there's no love on here for Kareem Moore at FS. I thought he played well when given a chance. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts this year. I just don't see safety as a position of need compared to others.
You seriously want Moore as our STARTING FS? IMO FS hasn't been adressed since ST died and the FO has been skating by trying not to address the problem, hoping people won't notice. Kareem Moore has adequate range, average to good speed, average playmaker, all equaling a backup FS in this league. I'm hoping we sign Sharper as a stop gap until we can draft a good young FS. The RT spot is weak, so hopefully we can get a guy like Barron who might fit better in Zone Blocking.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #27
franklinhimself
Special Teams

Adalius Thomas released by Patriots.
Source: New England Patriots release linebacker Adalius Thomas - ESPN Boston

Any chance we trade a 30 yrs+ 4-3 DE (Carter) and pick up a 30 yrs + OLB that may fit our scheme better? His salary is around 5 mill.
franklinhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #28
Defensewins
Playmaker

OT, Guard, ILB, RB, FS.

Right Tackle - We need a starting caliber Right Tackle and a decent/young developmental back up. Did we pick him up this weekend in the draft or UDFA? Time will tell.

Guard - We have to get younger at this position. Mike Williams should not be our starter or ideally should not be on our roster. Derek Dockery is not ideal speed wise for this scheme, he could stand to be replaced sooner rather than later.
ILB - Fletch is getting up there in age and this rookie is still an unproven commodity. We need a starter and depth. Where will HB Blades play inside or outside backer?
RB - We are old and injury prone. Are the young backups worthy of being on our team?
FS - Will LaRon Landry bounce back from a terrible 2009? We need quality depth.

I think quality depth in general was a serious problem besides the obvious holes in our starting lineup.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #29
franklinhimself
Special Teams

Also, I agree that FS is a big need that we haven't addressed the past 2 years. I'm in favor of signing Sharper.

RIP Taylor.

And I really like the Capers pick in Rd 7. Converted TE who with a year or two of coaching could become a really really great find for RT for the next 10 years
franklinhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #30
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinhimself View Post
Adalius Thomas released by Patriots.
Source: New England Patriots release linebacker Adalius Thomas - ESPN Boston

Any chance we trade a 30 yrs+ 4-3 DE (Carter) and pick up a 30 yrs + OLB that may fit our scheme better? His salary is around 5 mill.
He will actually probably come cheap, because NE is on the hook for 5mill guaranteed (with no offset clause!). I cant imagine him not going back to NYJ to be with Ryan and stick it to NE 2x's a year.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote