Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Farewell My Friend

Parking Lot

Old 09-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #16
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: Farewell My Friend

Greetings LB and regrets for the passing of your friend. I often think of the positive role animals play in our lives, never asking for anything in return. They are members of the family, and sometimes, the best members. Time will help, but it does take time.
I am preparing to make the same decison with a 15 year old Yorkie that runs our house. I have been dreading, and putting it off for some time..............
Hang in there
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-27-2007, 12:57 PM   #17
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

LB you definitely have my sympathy. My family and myself are close to making the same choice with one of our dogs whom we've had for 12+ years. Joe is right, when your on the down side about remembering them just think of the goofy things they used to do. I know one thing that helped my grandparents through the same thing was buying one of those statues in the likeness of what your pet looked like and placing it somewhere you'd see it every day and it makes it feel like they are still there with you.

RIP Puddin
Old 09-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #18
Lady Brave
The Starter

Thanks so much for the kind words guys. Especially you Joe. You have a gift for knowing just the right words to say.

I took the day off. I didn't want to risk having random episodes at work. Several times I've gotten that feeling that I need to go and check on the dog. I'm not used to the house feeling this empty. I'm good though. It's something you have to go through as a pet owner. It's funny the random memories that pop into your head. Puddin always liked for me to kiss him on top of the head when I came home. He would follow me around until I did that. Then he would look at me like, "Ok... that's all I wanted. I'm gonna go do my thing now." I'll miss that.
Lady Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #19
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post
Thanks so much for the kind words guys. Especially you Joe. You have a gift for knowing just the right words to say.
Well, my night job is with Hallmark.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #20
Monksdown
The Starter

All dogs go to Heaven. I empathize completely. I had to put my 6 year old boxer girl down 6 months ago. It's very tough.

Cry and love again.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #21
firstdown
Living Legend

I know how you feel and it does get quiet when these things happen. I had to put down a dog we had for 8yrs which we had saved from getting euthanised (spelling) from the local pound. I really missed the dog but it dawned on me this dog had 8 great years with us that he would have never seen if we had not adopted him. I decided the best thing to do was to save another dog in memory of the one we lost. It was tough at first but each day our new pet became more and more a part of our family and we are just happy to have saved another dog.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #22
pdid5000
No new threads for you

You did the right thing, he's in a better place now. We had to do the same thing with our family dog, she made it to 14. Now she's buried on our property at our lake cabin watching over us.
pdid5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #23
Riggo44
The Starter

I'm sorry you have to go through this L.B I know what it's like. I had to put down my 2 dogs over the last 4 years. Both times it just tore me up. I didn't go to work for a few days because I was too depressed. They were like my kids. Roxy my Rott was 12 I got her when I was 17 she was the greatest dog I could have ever asked for. Ilana my Rot/Lab I saved from the pound she was only 7 which made it extremely hard to let her go because it happened so fast and was so unexpected. Roxy had cancer and Ilana had kidney failure so it needed to be done on both occasions. But that didn't make it any easier. I like to think that Roxy & Ilana are hanging out together at some dog park in the sky waiting for me to join them and one day I will.

A few months after putting Ilana down I went to a pet expo and stumbled across this little Dalmatian puppy. After walking around the fair grounds for a few hours I went back and adopted him and named him Lucas.

While Lucas will never replace Roxy our Ilana he has become a big part of my life and has helped me move on.
It's probably way too soon for you to think about right now. But in time you might find another dog that you can offer a good life to and maybe that will help you too.

I'm sure you gave Puddin a great life and He will always love you for that.
R.I.P Puddin
Old 09-27-2007, 08:01 PM   #24
dall-assblows
The Starter

yea i feel your pain my aunt died today as a result of cancer.

life must go on.....
Old 09-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #25
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Hey Lady Brave, Very sorry about puddin. No matter how much you think you are prepared, you never really are.

We just went through the same nightmare two months ago, our 14 1/2 year golden, truely like throwing a light switch one day we were at the beach the next day he was deadly ill, been through alot with my boy "REBEL" and that was one of those days that I will never forget as long as I live, hauling butt to the vet to try to DO ANYTHING TO SAVE HIM. He was truely mans BEST friend! I'll cherish every moment we spent together. There is a special place in HEAVEN just for him.

Ten days ago we finally started the healing process, we bought our new golden, he won't replace "REBEL" but he sure will help fill the void that's left behind.

He's now 12 weeks old, unreal cool as most all goldens. We started thinking of names and "COOLEY" struck us as par for the course. We sure do love him and have grown attached very quickly, he's one of the family.

I hope when the time is right for you, things will work out as smoothly.
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:47 PM   #26
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dall-assblows View Post
yea i feel your pain my aunt died today as a result of cancer.

life must go on.....
Sorry to hear that. May she rest in peace
Old 09-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #27
Lady Brave
The Starter

It really has helped reading the different stories and experiences you guys have had. I feel for those who may be facing the same situation. I'm not sure if I will get another dog or not. Too early to be thinking about that.

I don't know why I didn't post pics of him earlier, but here he is. The first one is one of my favorites and the second one is the last picture we took of him. He had just gotten a haircut. He loved getting his hair cut and showing off.

Lady Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:22 PM   #28
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post
This afternoon I made the decision to have my cocker spaniel, Puddin, put down. He was 12 1/2 years old. The hardest part about it was saying to the Vet, "Go ahead and do it." That was tough. I kept second guessing as to whether or not I was making the decision too early, but I really didn't have a lot of options. He had lost his sight and hearing. He had lost weight and was having trouble getting up and down. The Vet felt like it was time as well.

I am really grateful though. His passing was so peaceful. Puddin was like me... fiesty and stubborn at times, but he laid there so calm with his nose on my chest. There was no struggle. It's almost like he was saying, "I'm tired. I'm ready to go." He didn't make a sound and just slipped away peacefully.

Sorry this is so depressing, but I just wanted to get it off my chest. This is the first time I've ever had to do something like this. I handled it better than I thought I would. I guess it's because I had already been preparing myself for it over the past few weeks. I will miss him terribly though. He was a wonderful dog and a faithful friend. May he rest in peace.
I am very sorry for your loss LB. As most of you have given me grief for, I have a deep love of animals, and it pains me to even hear such news. It's hard to lose a family member like that, and I wish you all the best and peace with your decision.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:04 PM   #29
dall-assblows
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Sorry to hear that. May she rest in peace
thanks brah
Old 09-27-2007, 11:37 PM   #30
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

I understand grief for sure, and many of us take our pets as more than just that. This too has been a tough week for me, my grandfather is too ill, but there is some hope.

Let's pray for everyone.