Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

HS Player Collapses, Coach Faces Homicide Charges

Other Sports

Old 01-31-2009, 11:03 PM   #16
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: HS Player Collapses, Coach Faces Homicide Charges

The coaches I had in high school usually worked us pretty hard, but never were we denied water. In fact it was encouraged and nailed into our heads to stay hydrated to the point were there was rarely a trainer that was more then 10 feet away carrying water. On top of that they would weigh us before every meal at camp to make sure we hadn't dropped to much weight following a 90 minute practice out in the hot Georgia sun. Plus to reduce the risk of heat exhaustion we had our easiest practice (special teams walkthrough) in the middle of the day, with the toughest practices taking place at the sunrise (fundamentals and position drills) and sunset (offensive and defensive team). The funny thing though is by the end of camp my senior year I probably lost a good 5 pounds over the course of the week (you're not suppose to lose more then 2 a week, and in this case I'm not talking about water weight), and that was after training 5 days a week during the summer.

Anyway it's coaches like this that are so attached to some old school way of doing things that make me sick. It's more then alright to work players but to deny them water with the information that's available now is just plain stupid. How many more people have to die before the people behind the curve wise up?

Though it does kind of remind me of a skit our QB and a few other guys put together for the team talent show.

"Back in my day we didn't have tackling dummies we had cowsssss."
"And if you got thirsty you didn't get no water, NO! You had to drink the milk from the cowsssssss."

Still any coach that denies players water deserves what they get. Hopefully they can find a way to have fun for the next 5 years. I agree though that homicide might be a little to much but they still deserve to get sued and serve jail time.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 01-31-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements