Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

For 2010 I am going to quit Smoking. Please Help Me.

Parking Lot

Old 01-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #16
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Re: For 2010 I am going to quit Smoking. Please Help Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxorreb View Post
I quit 3 1/2 years ago. Just don't do it. Sucks for about 2 months then it's no big deal. I used those tea tree flavored tooth picks to combat the nervous energy. That or chew on a 1/2 a chop stick or something. Helped me. Cigarette free! Not one since I quit. Just don't do it. Not one. Never. Make up your mind or don't. Don't make it more difficult that it is. It is an addiction. A powerful one. Decide to quit and do it or keep smoking and plan your attack. Hope that helps. It ain't easy but I smoked almost 2 packs a day and quit cold turkey after getting some teeth pulled.
I've never had a cigarette before but I love those tea tree oil chewsticks, yum!
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #17
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

i wanted to bump this thread, so i could update people on my progress. I stopped smoking cold turkey on Jan 31st. I made it 4 days with no prob, then the blizzard came, i was snowed in, and i smoked at least 1 cig on the 4th, 5th, and 6th. I stopped again that afternoon, and was smoke free 100% until Feb 15th, presidents day(9 days!!). My grandma went in the hospital, and it was a bad time for us. One night, I drank, and that did it. I had a full relapse..smoked on the 15th, 16th, 17th, and 18th..

The last time i got mad at myself big time, because the cigs made me puke and i've had NOTHING since the afternoon of the 18th. Today is my 5th day in a row of being smoke free, and even with my slips this month, i already feel a HUGE difference in my exercise, and overall feeling.

My skin actually looks clearer on my face, and my fingers aren't yellow anymore...I hope to do 1 whole month of not smoking, then 2, then 3, etc...

I know this though...i had to mentally decide i was done before feeling like i had any real chance....
Old 02-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #18
mredskins
Gamebreaker

^ Good luck man! I which my in laws would stop my son loves them so much and I am afraid they are going to miss a lot of his life due to these cancer sticks.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #19
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
i wanted to bump this thread, so i could update people on my progress. I stopped smoking cold turkey on Jan 31st. I made it 4 days with no prob, then the blizzard came, i was snowed in, and i smoked at least 1 cig on the 4th, 5th, and 6th. I stopped again that afternoon, and was smoke free 100% until Feb 15th, presidents day(9 days!!). My grandma went in the hospital, and it was a bad time for us. One night, I drank, and that did it. I had a full relapse..smoked on the 15th, 16th, 17th, and 18th..

The last time i got mad at myself big time, because the cigs made me puke and i've had NOTHING since the afternoon of the 18th. Today is my 5th day in a row of being smoke free, and even with my slips this month, i already feel a HUGE difference in my exercise, and overall feeling.

My skin actually looks clearer on my face, and my fingers aren't yellow anymore...I hope to do 1 whole month of not smoking, then 2, then 3, etc...

I know this though...i had to mentally decide i was done before feeling like i had any real chance....
They key is you're not giving up, you seem determined to quit. Not to sound cliche but you just have to take it one day at a time, one craving at a time.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #20
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

The hardest time for me is when I am around my dad (he is a pack a day smoker), or when i go out and drink (for some reason the urge to smoke is so overpowering when i consume alcohol).

The nicotine is out of your system after 72 hours (3 days), so my physical addiction is over...I read this morning in a help book that the cotinine (a metabolite of nicotene), is 100% cleared out from the bloodstream/arteries in 10 to 14 days...after that the physical and psychological need to smoke is over.

So i figure in 11 more days i will be 100% over my cigarette addiction....so it will definitely be easier going forward.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #21
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Take up a hobby.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #22
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
The hardest time for me is when I am around my dad (he is a pack a day smoker), or when i go out and drink (for some reason the urge to smoke is so overpowering when i consume alcohol).

The nicotine is out of your system after 72 hours (3 days), so my physical addiction is over...I read this morning in a help book that the cotinine (a metabolite of nicotene), is 100% cleared out from the bloodstream/arteries in 10 to 14 days...after that the physical and psychological need to smoke is over.

So i figure in 11 more days i will be 100% over my cigarette addiction....so it will definitely be easier going forward.
Yeah a beer and a smoke always went so well together, same for coffee and a smoke. It just takes time to get past those combos.

The physical habit isn't the tough part, it's the mental part that haunts you for a long, long time.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #23
dblanch66
The Starter

I smoked a pack and a half a day for 25 years. Quit cold turkey almost 10 years ago. Just take it one day at a time. Try not to get ahead of yourself. Stay in the present and just tell yourself you are not gonna smoke....just for TODAY. Good luck. Quitting sucks ass.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #24
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Toke....don't smoke! You damn fool! HAHA

Throw those worthless things in the trash and don't dig one out, or look back. At 5 bones a pack it outta be pretty easy....mind over matter.
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #25
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan_nn View Post
Toke....don't smoke! You damn fool! HAHA

Throw those worthless things in the trash and don't dig one out, or look back. At 5 bones a pack it outta be pretty easy....mind over matter.
5 I think it is like $7 a pack in MD. My in laws drive to VA to buy cheap cigs.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #26
firstdown
Living Legend

Well I was not going to say anything but I crushed my last pack of smokes before I went to bed on super bowl sunday. My first real test was on day 6 Saturday night when me and the wife had a few to many drinks and that went smooth. I pounded 4 drinks quick so I would have a buz and couldn't drive to the store to buy smokes if I wanted one. I drank again the following week and it was no problem at all. I quit drinking coffee as it was something I did each morning on the way to work with a few smokes. My plan was to quit after football season because I loved to watch football drink beer and smoke so I figured that was not a good time to quit (I have heat in my garage and a large TV). Also with winter I'm in the house more and I don't smoke in the house so that would also help. I have never really felt out of breath when doing things but in that first heavy snow we had I was going up a down a 15' hill (sleding pulling my 3 yr old daughter up the hill) and felt the effects of smoking. So I'm done and now a former smoker.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #27
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Good reasons not to smoke cigarettes:

1) Smoking destroys your health, as well as the health of your family and pets.

2) They tax cigarettes to pay for government BS. I hate government BS.

3) A pack of smokes costs 5$ now. A dollar was too expensive when I started.

4) The tobacco companies manipulate their product. The tobacco you can grow yourself is nothing like the stuff they sell.

5) Smoking turns your teeth yellow, your lungs black, and makes everything you own stink.

6) Fewer chicks smoke these days.

Congratulations on those of you who have given it up. For everyone that's trying to quit, good luck. If you still like to smoke, then tell everyone to kiss your ass. It's your life. If you live north of VA, PM me. I can come up there with cheap smokes for a fee. Don't waste my time with low ball amounts though.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #28
MTK
\m/

7) It's dumb and no you don't look cool, you look like an ass
Old 02-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #29
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Good reasons not to smoke cigarettes:

1) Smoking destroys your health, as well as the health of your family and pets.

2) They tax cigarettes to pay for government BS. I hate government BS.

3) A pack of smokes costs 5$ now. A dollar was too expensive when I started.

4) The tobacco companies manipulate their product. The tobacco you can grow yourself is nothing like the stuff they sell.

5) Smoking turns your teeth yellow, your lungs black, and makes everything you own stink.

6) Fewer chicks smoke these days.

Congratulations on those of you who have given it up. For everyone that's trying to quit, good luck. If you still like to smoke, then tell everyone to kiss your ass. It's your life. If you live north of VA, PM me. I can come up there with cheap smokes for a fee. Don't waste my time with low ball amounts though.
I'm taking the $5 a day I spent on smoking and sticking it in a shoe box and after a year I'll have around $1800. I also dump my change in the same shoe box which averages around $2.00 everyday so I'm saving around $2300 a year which we will use to fund our vacations. I know it sounds dumb to save money this way but it works and its like found money at the end of the year.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #30
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I'm taking the $5 a day I spent on smoking and sticking it in a shoe box and after a year I'll have around $1800. I also dump my change in the same shoe box which averages around $2.00 everyday so I'm saving around $2300 a year which we will use to fund our vacations. I know it sounds dumb to save money this way but it works and its like found money at the end of the year.
I've tried that but I always dip in the jar for toll money.