Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Latest on Coles

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-24-2005, 10:48 PM   #16
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Latest on Coles

Basically, sometimes you have to bite the salary cap bullet to avoid being forced to blow up the team down the road. And if you can get something for Coles while you're at it, all the better.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-24-2005, 11:12 PM   #17
offiss

Samuel's will restructure or he will be gone, Coles will be dealt we are not just going to give him away, if he truley want's out he will forgo the $5mil from us and get it back and more when he renegotiates with his new team, if he really want's out that's how it has to be, and yes I would trade him for the highest #1 possible even the boy's if they are offereing, we need to get better in plenty of other area's, we need a #1 for Coles and at least a #3 for Gardner, I would also look for something for Morton as well, that could land us a nice draft this year.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:22 PM   #18
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

So, let's see if I have this right...

The Skins have known they had to get Samuels to restructure for about a year now - - since they tried to get him to do it last year. Then they got a proposal from his agent and they turned it down. Now, the "market price" has gone up and the Redskins are unwilling to go there.

Isn't Danny Boy the guy who never lets $$$ stand in the way of a deal? Remember, he's the one who paid LC a $13M signing bonus when LC was only asking for $10M and then Danny Boy went around gloating about how smart he was. Who nixed the earlier deal - the one they'd love to have now but the price of poker just went up?

Samuels and his agent are in the drivers' seat and they know it. Remember, all he has to do is not sign anything and he gets $6.5M next year from the Redskins - or they can release him and he can sign his big fat free agent contract somewhere else and get a big signing bonus. So, now he asks the Skins for a big signing bonus plus a little more because after all, he's doing them a favor...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:41 PM   #19
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES
Jets, Ravnes. I would even say the cowboys, although i dont know if we would trade with them.
what if one of the teams happened to be the team with a newly aquired extra first round pick in the Vikings? I believe their original pick is number 18 or something like that or maybe even the chargers for their actual pick which is around 24 I think. I could see both willing to part with a late 1st round pick for a proven wideout with a workable contract as far as the per year #'s go for a wr with coles like production. but we'll never really know until after it happens cuz thats when most of the dirt comes out about possible trades.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:42 PM   #20
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

SC,

In all fairness, we paid Coles $3 million more than what Coles was asking for because we needed to beat out the Jets' offer. Teams that have losing records and need to attract players in free agency consistently have to outbid teams with better records. We have losing a record and so we need to outbid teams like Philly, New England, etc.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:54 AM   #21
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

From Friday's Washington Times:

Quote:
San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Nolan referenced his background with Coles and said he would be interested. The Baltimore Ravens, according to a source, have done due diligence on Coles but are leaning toward signing a free agent. The New York Jets already have had discussions with Washington about bringing back Coles. And several NFL executives believe the Minnesota Vikings would be interested after this week's trade of superstar Randy Moss.
So this leads me to naturally conclude that we're close to sending Coles to San Fran for the number 1 overall pick
Old 02-25-2005, 01:49 AM   #22
bedlamVR
Special Teams

Y'know i just get the feeling this Coles thing just isn't going to happen. We have to restucture Samuels but that wa s a given from day one and I don't see us just gobbling up that room to release Coles .

We don't HAVE to do anything with Coles he is under contract and will return and play hard as he has said and we have X number of months of solid negoications to win him over to Gibbs overhaulled offence or arrange a release next year. It just strikes me as the Ramsey "I want a trade" deal last year and what happened there?
bedlamVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:52 AM   #23
bedlamVR
Special Teams

Also . How the hell do we pay No.1 pick in a year where we have no glaring weaknesses that can be addressed in the draft class that has no must have top guy. We need to trade down if anyone and this year it is a buyers market trades in the top 5 will be few and far between.
bedlamVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:54 AM   #24
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

You trade it down - Bedlam.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:57 AM   #25
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedlamVR
Also . How the hell do we pay No.1 pick in a year where we have no glaring weaknesses that can be addressed in the draft class that has no must have top guy. We need to trade down if anyone and this year it is a buyers market trades in the top 5 will be few and far between.
I'm guessing you might be responding to my earlier post when I said we're clearly close to sending Coles to San Fran for the no. 1 pick

I was only joking, just making light of all the outrageous trade rumors we inevitably hear at this time of year

I can't predict the future but I'm almost sure it doesn't involve Coles for the 1st overall pick
Old 02-25-2005, 01:59 AM   #26
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

You're right SS. Their 1st and 2nd rounders!
Old 02-25-2005, 09:27 AM   #27
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSKINBauer
Seems to me u r saying that.
Wrong. Daseal said that being on the Redskins is 'insta-championship.'

I never said that. I said that if Chris Samuels is interested in a championship or at least putting his team in position to contend for one, he would restructure.

Getting something in return for Coles to help our team contend for a championship is not the same as saying it's an instant championship.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:30 AM   #28
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

What I'm saying Beemn, is he probably has a better chance at a ring if he DOESN'T restructure and gets cut.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:34 AM   #29
monk81
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
SC,

In all fairness, we paid Coles $3 million more than what Coles was asking for because we needed to beat out the Jets' offer. Teams that have losing records and need to attract players in free agency consistently have to outbid teams with better records. We have losing a record and so we need to outbid teams like Philly, New England, etc.
And even if we manage to re-work Samuels contract....you can add another team that we need to outbid......Jerry Jones promised that he is going to very aggressive in free agency this year.....and they have tons of cap room....before Bledsoe $20 milliion.......at least thats what our paper here reported................
monk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:47 AM   #30
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

Ok, I've been away from the boards for a while, so here are my thoughts on the Coles situation (like anyone cares):

Coles needs a history lesson. He needs to look at the WR's from Gibbs' first tenure and he will see that they got plenty of work in his "ball-control" offense (a SB record 35 points scored in one quarter doesn't come from running the ball). Plus they are included in the top Skins WR's of all-time. Gibbs just needed a year to "get his feet wet" and has said that they will go downfield more this year.

The toe will be what hurts Coles or the Skins. If they try to trade him, it may keep them from getting what they want for him, and if they released him, it would keep him from getting as much money. Ironic, considering that I think that is what is behind this whole thing (Redskins want him to get the surgery and he doesn't). How does he know a new team wouldn't want him to do it?

If he is unwilling to give up the 5 million, the Skins should keep him to prove a point that anyone can't just leave regardless of the contract they signed...but I don't think they will.
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote