Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Pasta Belly's Weekly Redskin Commentary

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-25-2005, 07:44 PM   #16
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Re: Pasta Belly's Weekly Redskin Commentary

Daseal:

Who went out and signed Coles to that huge contract? That would be Danny Boy. So, no matter how much you think Gibbs and his offense are futile and ineffective, Danny Boy has to share the blame for having Coles here. He brought him here under the impression that he would be playing in the Fun 'n Gun for 5 years; then that didn't exactly pan out. And I'll bet money that Danny Boy never went to Coles and told him that he was nudging OBC out the door and the offense was going to change.

Coles is not blameless here and neither is Gibbs. But Danny Boy has dirty hands too.

Beemnseven:

If Gibbs calls all the football shots, why have both he and Vinny said that when they disagree, they go to Danny Boy and Danny Boy makes the call? If Gibbs were actually in charge, he would make his decision and tell Vinny to pound sand up his ass if Vinny didn't like it. But that's not the way it works and so Gibbs is NOT making all the football decisions. In the long run, that is NOT going to help the Redskins.

memphisskin:

The WRs on this team are very substandard compared to the rest of the league. Changing out two of them might make it worse - especially if Danny Boy chooses the two new ones on his own - but it might make the group a lot better. If the Skins go into next year with an unhappy Coles as the #1 guy and the stupefyingly ordinary Gardner as the #2 guy, why should anyone expect to see any significantly better results next year? I know, somebody is going to say that Ramsey will be the QB all year next year. OK, maybe that will make the offense better, but not a lot. In the final half of the year in 2004, Ramsey didn't exactly light up the scoreboards around the league...

That Guy:

BTW, S. Moss is late into his first contract and he might well be expecting a nice payday either to come here to play next year or certainly the year after that. So, Danny Boy will have the opportunity to heave a load of cash at hem in the near future too. That will help the cap problem down the road...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-25-2005, 08:18 PM   #17
jamf
Pro Bowl

This is crap.

Len P is mostly right. but gibbs needs to share in the blame.

hey a top notch player is unhappy so you cut hit? wtf joe gibbs.
every team in the league has players that are unhappy with the playcalling.

every team in the league has players that dont watn to be there.

gibbs has had some trouble makers before and has handled them. wtf is he doing now?

cole quietly went to the coach and said his schemes are garbage. he said he is not happy with how things are going.
gibbs offensive system was/is crap. coles never had a chance to make a play. he never got into the open field with the ball. thats on joe gibbs.

all joe had to do was say "hey LC, i am adjusting my schemes. next year you will be going downfield alot more" and all this drama doesnt exist. coles doesnt want to leavue because he didnt get the ball enough, he is pissed that 89 of his 90 catches were infront of the Linebackers and he gets his ass killed. LC's only td came on a half back pass from portis...

all this drama is rediculous.

Im starting to think the only reason joe gibbs is back in coaching is to get his son coy(koy?) a coaching job.

i hope spurrier is laughing his ass off.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:23 PM   #18
That Guy
Living Legend

what a deal eh? guess the jets fans are laughing at us pretty hard right about now...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:28 PM   #19
wolfeskins
The Starter

Post Re: Pasta Belly's Weekly Redskin Commentary

[QUOTE=sportscurmudgeon]
Coles is not blameless here and neither is Gibbs. But Danny Boy has dirty hands too.

Gibbs is NOT making all the football decisions. In the long run, that is NOT going to help the Redskins.

In the final half of the year in 2004, Ramsey didn't exactly light up the scoreboards around the league...

1st, no one has "dirty hands" coles was brought here with all good intentions, to play for steve superrior. that didn't work out, he's not happy and the skins don't need a hurt, unhappy wr. so get what you can for him and say seeya.
2nd, gibbs is making more decissions than you or i probably realize. snyder brought gibbs here to "right the ship" . some skins fans ( sportscurmudgeon ) don't like the dan, mainly because of his earleir personel decissions. if the dan was to keep putting his nose into everthing and upset joe so much as to make joe leave or make joe critisize him then that would spark major rage from ALL skins fans.
3rd, ramsey may not have "lit it up" but considering how much practice he got with the first team offense and considering the teams he faced when he did finally become the starter , i and i'm sure many others would say he played pretty darn good.
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:33 PM   #20
jrocx69
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf
This is crap.

Len P is mostly right. but gibbs needs to share in the blame.

hey a top notch player is unhappy so you cut hit? wtf joe gibbs.
every team in the league has players that are unhappy with the playcalling.

every team in the league has players that dont watn to be there.

gibbs has had some trouble makers before and has handled them. wtf is he doing now?

cole quietly went to the coach and said his schemes are garbage. he said he is not happy with how things are going.
gibbs offensive system was/is crap. coles never had a chance to make a play. he never got into the open field with the ball. thats on joe gibbs.

all joe had to do was say "hey LC, i am adjusting my schemes. next year you will be going downfield alot more" and all this drama doesnt exist. coles doesnt want to leavue because he didnt get the ball enough, he is pissed that 89 of his 90 catches were infront of the Linebackers and he gets his ass killed. LC's only td came on a half back pass from portis...

all this drama is rediculous.

Im starting to think the only reason joe gibbs is back in coaching is to get his son coy(koy?) a coaching job.

i hope spurrier is laughing his ass off.
anyway, 11 year layoff will affect a coach and his schemes
and i didnt see a whole lot of seperation like we thought coles was gonna create from DB's. when the few times last season we did go deep to coles, he didnt ecactly have a step on the db. the only one i can remember was against chicago and brunell f'd up the pass horribly for coles. other than that he didnt create seperation on the few deep routes we did call. so gibbs was reluctant to call them. i dont think he trusted his offense, but he aint gonna come out and say it to anybody. give the guy some time to establish players that he wants. remember, he's using majority of spurriers guys, not his. coach williams got the most of the attention last season to get guys he wants. now gibbs can improve on what he wants. im sure he wont make the same mistake like he did on brunell, and portis was a great pick up, now look for the offensive line (center) and wide outs to get the attention this offseason.
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:46 PM   #21
jermus22
Special Teams

I'm with you jrocx69. Coles is a tough guy and hard worker but he didn't exactly do a great job getting open and hanging on to passes (injuries had a lot to do with it obviously). If he continues to complain about the system and refuses surgery, there isn't any reason to keep him. I trust Gibbs's judgement on this one.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:03 PM   #22
Shane
Special Teams

There is no doubt that continuity is extremely important, especially on offense. Defensive systems are easier - playing defense is easier - because you are just trying to disrupt the other team. On offense you have to do more than just focus on disrupting, and it takes continuity for players to develop confidence. You just can't play good football or do anything like this unless the system is so ingrained that it is second nature to you.

Snyder did not appreciate this and he has made very serious mistakes and shown painful to watch hubris. However, he has clearly been finding his proper role as an owner and learning that the best way is to find good people and let them make the decisions, with you there to support and oversee matters, but not to micromanage.

Joe Gibbs is doing the right thing here working to get Coles on to another team and to get a good return for doing so. He is doing a superb job. Coles has to go, his attitude is very destructive to team morale, and now that he has forced everyone's hands by demanding a trade and so forth, he certainly has to go.

Although I really dislike the way people ridicule Len Pasquarelli and make fun of him, his commentary here is just off base in my view. It's true you need continuity, but you don't want continuity of a situation that is destructive to the team - and keeping Coles around with his depression and anger would be destructive, and it was destructive during last season, though fans were largely not aware of it.

So you want continuity of good things not of bad vibes in my view. We are building a team that will have that "all for one and one for all" spirit that you need to have a winner.

I think that Gibbs, and Snyder, and doing a great job with the Coles situation.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:27 PM   #23
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
I heard that Snyder also sank the Titanic and ordered the attacks on the World Trade Center.

I'm purely speculating here but I can't shake this feeling that Gibbs wants Coles out as much as Coles wants to be out. I think he feels that he needs new receivers, to replace Coles and Gardner, in order to have the offense he really wants to have.

As for Snyder talking about continuity and all that. He should really stop that, because I'm sure he knows that's just not something you can guarantee in this day and age. He's just telling the people what they want to hear but he's probably better off just not saying anything. If he's going to say anything he should say that he, Gibbs, etc. are going to do whatever they need to do to put the best team on the field if that means changes have to be made so be it.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:00 AM   #24
jdlea
Playmaker

Whether you "blame" Snyder or not this is just a microcosm of the Dan Snyder era. This is the Redskins
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 02:06 AM   #25
VTSkins897
Impact Rookie

jdlea is right...
havent posted in mos. and i return to the same old bulls@#t fake a$$ redskins junk... shady moves yr in and yr out. lets once again justify offseason turnover. it's only been years of the same old crap. trust me it'll work this year.............................................. .................................................. ..............
surely you'd catch on by now.. how many other teams deal with this? coles seems like such a standup guy and then even he wants to bail. the highlight of the season might be sportscurmudgeon's continually lame ass posts...

i pray i'm wrong.
VTSkins897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 02:14 AM   #26
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Bottom line is this: Coles doesn't want to be here! This isn't Snyders' fault, isn't Vinny's fault, and isn't Gibbs' fault. Anyone who agrees with Pastabelly needs to rethink their position. This offense does throw the deep ball when the receivers are open....with Coles' toe injury, he wasn't able to get open downfield alot -- so I wouldn't say that the offense is completely to blame. Sure, he'd get a few more passes in a pass oriented offense, but so what?

If this team wants to be a consistant playoff team and win championships, you're going to have to at least start by having players who WANT to play here and believe in the system. I don't care how good they are, if they don't believe in the system, they're not going to play to the fullest of their abilities.

I also don't believe that Gibbs would have just cut Coles out right. Give him a little more credit than that! That would be a stupid a move....certainly if the Skins' can trade him for a player they need....maybe another decent center and a couple draft picks, they would try to go that route.

For the most part, most of the team does believe in the system and wants to stay.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:19 AM   #27
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
Daseal:

Who went out and signed Coles to that huge contract? That would be Danny Boy. So, no matter how much you think Gibbs and his offense are futile and ineffective, Danny Boy has to share the blame for having Coles here. He brought him here under the impression that he would be playing in the Fun 'n Gun for 5 years; then that didn't exactly pan out. And I'll bet money that Danny Boy never went to Coles and told him that he was nudging OBC out the door and the offense was going to change.

Beemnseven:

If Gibbs calls all the football shots, why have both he and Vinny said that when they disagree, they go to Danny Boy and Danny Boy makes the call? If Gibbs were actually in charge, he would make his decision and tell Vinny to pound sand up his ass if Vinny didn't like it. But that's not the way it works and so Gibbs is NOT making all the football decisions. In the long run, that is NOT going to help the Redskins.

memphisskin:

The WRs on this team are very substandard compared to the rest of the league. Changing out two of them might make it worse - especially if Danny Boy chooses the two new ones on his own - but it might make the group a lot better. If the Skins go into next year with an unhappy Coles as the #1 guy and the stupefyingly ordinary Gardner as the #2 guy, why should anyone expect to see any significantly better results next year? I know, somebody is going to say that Ramsey will be the QB all year next year. OK, maybe that will make the offense better, but not a lot. In the final half of the year in 2004, Ramsey didn't exactly light up the scoreboards around the league...

That Guy:

BTW, S. Moss is late into his first contract and he might well be expecting a nice payday either to come here to play next year or certainly the year after that. So, Danny Boy will have the opportunity to heave a load of cash at hem in the near future too. That will help the cap problem down the road...

What did Danny boy do to have dirty hand's other than bring Coles in? Is that a problem? Coles is a talent even if this offense is not to his liking. Who knew Spurrier would be blocking lineman with scat back's? The fact is Gibb's has final say over every decision, SC I think your still living in the Spurrier era when it comes to DS arbitrating between coach and GM, I do believe Skinscane is right about Gibb's wanting to just dump Coles and Snyder stepping up and saying let's get something for him which is the right decision. Perhap's you missed the interview with Gibb's and Snyder on inside the NFL where Danny stated Gibb's has absolute final say in all football decision's and Gibb's laughingly said that mean's he also get's all the blame, [meaning himself] I have to take them at their word's.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 09:39 AM   #28
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSkins897
jdlea is right...
havent posted in mos. and i return to the same old bulls@#t fake a$$ redskins junk... shady moves yr in and yr out. lets once again justify offseason turnover. it's only been years of the same old crap. trust me it'll work this year.............................................. .................................................. ..............
surely you'd catch on by now.. how many other teams deal with this? coles seems like such a standup guy and then even he wants to bail. the highlight of the season might be sportscurmudgeon's continually lame ass posts...

i pray i'm wrong.
more often than not I disagree with sportscurmudgeon, but his posts are far from "lame ass"
Old 02-26-2005, 10:12 AM   #29
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootsmack
more often than not I disagree with sportscurmudgeon, but his posts are far from "lame ass"
I agree. Theres a reason why its so easy to dislike him(jk sports), because he ussually spells everything out and its pretty hard to dispute anything.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:55 AM   #30
MTK
\m/

I wouldn't say it's hard to dispute what he says, but I respect the fact his posts are thought out, concise and well written.