Has the game changed?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #16
dblanch66
The Starter

Re: Has the game changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
The game has changed into more of a passing oriented game, and I think that takes away from what football is all about. Take a look at arena football...strictly a passing game but it fizzled out. I think if they keep screwing with the rules, they are going to make the game way to ridiculous to watch!

I kind of like how football was back in the 70's and 80's. Big emphasis on a strong running attack, corners being able to play the receivers more tightly, linebackers and Defensive linemen not having to be so afraid of getting flagged for doing what their purpose is...to knock the heck out of the quarterback! That, is football! The game today is become way to finesse!
Agreed. This slow metamorphasis has contributed to the erosion of the quality of the game. Football, when played as a smash mouth game, is more multi faceted and ultimately more interesting. Trying to cater to the masses is always a recipe for a watered down, dumbed down, generic, vanilla product. Ie: Early REM.

Advertisements
Old 09-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #17
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
I didn't realize that Oakland was so balanced. Yet they still cannot win.

One quick question about simple math though. Does 10 win Talent -10 win Coaching= 0-16 Season? At what point does subtraction become addition?
Lol, I never claimed to be a math genius. Fortunately we cannot go 0-16, but anything beyond that-all bets are off.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #18
SouperMeister
Playmaker

For how much the rules are slanted to help the passing game, we still have problems getting the ball to Kelly, Thomas, and Davis. As long as our passing attack is limited almost exclusively to Moss, Randle El, and Cooley, we will continue to have drives bog down. Almost every team running a WCO spreads the ball to a larger number of receivers. Perhaps it's still a trust issue with the youngsters, but we certainly make it look harder than most teams.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #19
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
For how much the rules are slanted to help the passing game, we still have problems getting the ball to Kelly, Thomas, and Davis. As long as our passing attack is limited almost exclusively to Moss, Randle El, and Cooley, we will continue to have drives bog down. Almost every team running a WCO spreads the ball to a larger number of receivers. Perhaps it's still a trust issue with the youngsters, but we certainly make it look harder than most teams.
And we have for years and years. I have a hard time remembering when we were not a slow, plodding team.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:20 AM   #20
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post
Remind me how they pulled out victory this week again?
One week does make a season eh
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:12 AM   #21
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
In previous years( Decades...), The good teams could run the ball down your throat.

There have always been passing teams ( Houston Run and Shoot ) but when it came down to December and January football, The successful teams were the ones that could run ball first and pass to maintain some balance.

Looking at the dominant teams now, I can't help but think it's turned into a passing league.
Cornerbacks can no longer play a true press coverage.
Quarterbacks draw atleast 2 roughing the passer calls a game.
Why not throw it 40 times a game and make 4 big plays.

Look at the previous Superbowl teams:
Patriots
Steelers
Giants
Cardinals

Only the Giants are a run first team and still they have the ability to throw it 40 times a game.

Is it time to adjust to a pass happy offense and take advantage of the new rules protecting QBs and WRs or is the old Smashmouth football strategy the best way to go?
The Skins ARE a pass happy team. They just aren't good at it. Towards the end of the Lions game, Stafford was throwing downfield at will, and each time he had a WR in single coverage and the ball was thrown accurately enough to give his Receiver a chance to make a play. We were lucky Calvin Johnson got called for pass interference. We should take a page from their playbook. How awful does that sound?

But yes, it's a passing league. That's why I draft 2 WRs first in Fantasy when a few years ago the rule of thumb was to draft RBs in the first 2 or even 3 rounds.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #22
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
Trust my ass. We have a bad coach and an average QB. Just about every "bomb" hasn't even been close and fade routes and sideline passes have routinely fallen short or way out of bounds. We will be dead last again in pass interference calls.