Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

5 Things Jim Zorn Should Change Right Now

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #16
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Re: 5 Things Jim Zorn Should Change Right Now

At 1-2, and with time to right the ship, I don't think an all out youth movement is the right thing for this team at the moment. 1-6, 1-7 and yes, you let the young guys get their feet wet, but the season isn't a complete loss. Jarmon did play yesterday, but both Barnes and Mitchell have several guys ahead of them. The downside to a youth movement is letting this guys get banged up to the point where they start regressing too much.

I agree with #4, but you have a former QB as your head coach and play caller, so unfortunately that's not going to change. Zorn is very uncomfortable in allowing Campbell to freely run the offense, and for whatever reason, Campbell cannot audible out when the team in the red zone. Zorn went as far as telling Sonny Jurgenson that last week. Something has to give here, and I think will have to be Zorn dumbing down his offense not because his QB doesn't understand, but because his players aren't executing.

#5 - Zorn does need to relinquish play calling, but his ego will get in the way of doing so. Again, being a former QB, he has a vision that he wants carried out and doesn't feel comfortable in letting others carry out that vision. He needs to take a step back and recollect himself. Allow someone to help with the play calling, preferably from the booth, and get this team's swagger back.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #17
bm32286
Camp Scrub

I agree with pretty much everything you guys are saying. I definitely agree with Bohnzie in that ZOrn will never relinquish the play calling. He was originally hired as the offensive coordinator two years back until he was brought up to head coach. His ego is entirely too big for that, and for him to give up play calling to someone else would simply exacerbate the problem and single out the fact that he isn't getting the job done. He wants to keep the play calling so HE can right the ship, and do you blame him?

In terms of play calling, they need to toss more screens or allow Campbell to roll out a bit more, almost what Gibbs did with Brunell a few years back when he was having issues in the pocket. Allowing such plays will not only get much needed chunks of yardage, but it will build Campbell's confidence. He is a good QB, but just needs to be put in the right situations. He is almost like your girlfriend or wife. You need to give him reasons to think he is a good quarterback for him to step up and play like one. It seems he is very fragile, but with some sort of consistency he will get better. JC has a real problem of checking down WAY too early (which is why Cooley had such a Pro-Bowl year two years ago) and he doesn't step up into the pocket very well. Tossing some quick screens and allowing him to move out of the pocket can eliminate these things and help him take better care of the ball.

Overall, it's not as bad as it might seem. Yes, we lost to the woeful Lions. But this could possibly be the best thing that has happened to us all season. If we get on some kind of run and get some consistency and win some games, we could look back and say that this was the turning point. Let's not be pathetic Philly fans or NY fans and jump ship. Have some faith, have some loyalty, and this thing will get fixed.
bm32286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #18
44Deezel
The Starter

1 - Where are the passes purposely thrown behind the Receivers. I don't know the name of the route, but other teams throws those passes effectively a couple times a game.

2 - Why don't they roll Campbell out by design every once in a while?

3 - Why not a QB draw in the red zone, or bootleg (naked even), or play action pass to the TE???

4 - Why not a WR screen to Kelly? He stiff-armed some dude for the Jags in the pre-season and made the first down. It brings the corners up and sets them up for passes over the top. I used to hate the excessive use of this play during the Gibbs Deuce tenure, but I do recall it went for a 78 yard TD to Moss once. It can be effective.

5 - WHERE ARE THE PASS INTERFERENCE CALLS? The Lions managed to free up single coverage downfield several times and got a pass interference call and one TD that got called back. Why can't we get a guy downfield in single coverage and put the ball in a place that the Receiver can make an attempt at it??? Not even once in 3 games? We were dead last in pass interference calls last year. Maybe something to work on this year?!?!?!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #19
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
I can only think of one, his zip-code.
He could probably stand to change his breeches too. If I was coaching a football team that lost to the Lions, I know I'd have shat them.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #20
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
5 - WHERE ARE THE PASS INTERFERENCE CALLS? The Lions managed to free up single coverage downfield several times and got a pass interference call and one TD that got called back. Why can't we get a guy downfield in single coverage and put the ball in a place that the Receiver can make an attempt at it??? Not even once in 3 games? We were dead last in pass interference calls last year. Maybe something to work on this year?!?!?!
Good point here.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #21
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennSkinsFan View Post
and that is different then Smoot how?
I would choose Westbrook or Tryon over Barnes to replace Smoot. I do think it is time for Smoot to move on. IMO Barnes not as solid as the other two reserve corners in what I have seen. Tryon god aweful in his first preseason game but improved. Westbrook just seems to get his name called and is always around the ball. Carlos and Hall should remain the starters.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #22
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
1 - Where are the passes purposely thrown behind the Receivers. I don't know the name of the route, but other teams throws those passes effectively a couple times a game.

2 - Why don't they roll Campbell out by design every once in a while?

3 - Why not a QB draw in the red zone, or bootleg (naked even), or play action pass to the TE???

4 - Why not a WR screen to Kelly? He stiff-armed some dude for the Jags in the pre-season and made the first down. It brings the corners up and sets them up for passes over the top. I used to hate the excessive use of this play during the Gibbs Deuce tenure, but I do recall it went for a 78 yard TD to Moss once. It can be effective.

I was going insane when I saw Campbell roll out to the right all by himself when they ran it in RZ on 4th and 1. He could have walked in the endzone untouched.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #23
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
can I bring up Hixon at this point. Fire him. why, why the heck not. I don't care if he is not the problem. I don't care if he is a great coach, let him go somewhere else, maybe Arizona will trade their wr coach. Seriously, it was asked that if DT/MK light it up this year will I give him credit, and I said yes absolutely. but as the article says, they are nowhere to be seen. Am I saying it is Hixon's fault, no. Am i saying he is a bad coach, not really, i am just saying we aren't letting our receivers go, none of them seem to be improving, so go get another coach, if just for change sake.
Brother in arms I am with you. I have beat this drum to death and people told me to shut up. Hixon has not developed anyone. The route running sucks. The WR's can't get seperation, not even Moss. Our passing attempts look like some one trying to take a huge crap......painfull. The whole while other teams make it look easy to get their WR's the ball even when they are rushed. Hixon is a college coach who needs to go back to the college ranks.

When DS desides to shit can the whole mess I'll be glad and exited to see who the HC brings in as a real NFL WR's coach.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #24
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
At 1-2, and with time to right the ship, I don't think an all out youth movement is the right thing for this team at the moment. 1-6, 1-7 and yes, you let the young guys get their feet wet, but the season isn't a complete loss. Jarmon did play yesterday, but both Barnes and Mitchell have several guys ahead of them. The downside to a youth movement is letting this guys get banged up to the point where they start regressing too much.

I agree with #4, but you have a former QB as your head coach and play caller, so unfortunately that's not going to change. Zorn is very uncomfortable in allowing Campbell to freely run the offense, and for whatever reason, Campbell cannot audible out when the team in the red zone. Zorn went as far as telling Sonny Jurgenson that last week. Something has to give here, and I think will have to be Zorn dumbing down his offense not because his QB doesn't understand, but because his players aren't executing.

#5 - Zorn does need to relinquish play calling, but his ego will get in the way of doing so. Again, being a former QB, he has a vision that he wants carried out and doesn't feel comfortable in letting others carry out that vision. He needs to take a step back and recollect himself. Allow someone to help with the play calling, preferably from the booth, and get this team's swagger back.
The sad fact is everyone, meaning tv analysts, ex coach's, and fans, can see that during our 6 min drill ( cause we have no 2 min drill) JC actually moves the ball better partially cause he is in shot gun and everyone thinks cause JC is calling the plays himself. Yet when we are out of the supposed 2min drill we look enemic.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #25
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

#6. Add Mason and Alridge in the mix and part with Betts.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #26
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
#6. Add Mason and Alridge in the mix and part with Betts.
Another agreeable comment. If your going to run the ball and have it go no where then ya might as well let it be the rookie or someone learning from their mistakes instead of someone just treading water.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #27
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
They also have a QB who is elusive, runs around the pocket, buys time and can actually throw accurate passes while on the run. Just putting that out there.
Right, and while he's doing that, they still don't give up, ours do. Whether JC is accurate or not, receivers shouldn't give up on plays. I would hardly call the pass to Tyree in the SB "accurate". The QB has nothing to do with receivers doing what they're paid to do. If I heard ONE receiver say, "What's the use, JC won't get it here anyway" I'd cut his ass on the spot. I'm glad you think EVERYTHING is related to JC but it's not. That's bullshit. Just putting THAT out there.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #28
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Brother in arms I am with you. I have beat this drum to death and people told me to shut up. Hixon has not developed anyone. The route running sucks. The WR's can't get seperation, not even Moss. Our passing attempts look like some one trying to take a huge crap......painfull. The whole while other teams make it look easy to get their WR's the ball even when they are rushed. Hixon is a college coach who needs to go back to the college ranks.

When DS desides to shit can the whole mess I'll be glad and exited to see who the HC brings in as a real NFL WR's coach.
Ah but Hixon knows DS' secret, that's why he has survived forever. He will be 77 and still be the WR coach, our receivers will continue to fail, and some will still proclaim Hixon has no fault in it.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #29
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Right, and while he's doing that, they still don't give up, ours do. Whether JC is accurate or not, receivers shouldn't give up on plays. I would hardly call the pass to Tyree in the SB "accurate". The QB has nothing to do with receivers doing what they're paid to do. If I heard ONE receiver say, "What's the use, JC won't get it here anyway" I'd cut his ass on the spot. I'm glad you think EVERYTHING is related to JC but it's not. That's bullshit. Just putting THAT out there.
Well said
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #30
PennSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Agreed as well. Jason Campbell is likely not the answer, but he certainly is not the core of the problem. This team has several issues and the one that upsets me the most is lack of effort and passion. I really don't get that. I think the plague of this team is, many players have signed here for the pay day because they knew we would pay it, and that is the extent of their commitment.

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote