Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Ganther likely to start vs Oakland and other notes from Sherm Smith interview

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #16
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Ganther likely to start vs Oakland and other notes from Sherm Smith interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
That being said, i wonder if the skins will use a draft pick on a RB, or will they just go the way of trying to fill holes through free agency...
I think spending one of our first two draft picks on a RB would be ideal (the other draft pick obviously on Oline). I like Spiller or the guy from Ole Miss...similiar type of players, not 30+ carries, pound the rock guys but more of the change of pace backs with high, big play potential. I think pairing one these guys with either Betts or Portis (I think Portis probably done) would make a nice combo. Another plus is both these guys have kick/punter return capibilities. I really think we lack playmakers on offense and need to add a substantial threat guy...I dont think we have anybody that really scares D cordinators when watching film....but this Thomas guy

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #17
freddyg12
Playmaker

Re: Ganther likely to start vs Oakland and other notes from Sherm Smith interview

Ganther might be our Ryan Grant, Amhad Bradshaw, Pierre Thomas, Willie Parker, etc. One of those guys that is far from elite but were largely overlooked out of college and went on to play vital roles in their team's offense.

RB will be an interesting position to watch this offseason.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #18
firstdown
Living Legend

There was a reason Mason was not with another team and I'm guessing we will see why this new kicker was not on another team. I hope I'm wrong about the new kicker but if he was any good he would have been on a team.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #19
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

FD, Gano was a rookie, he got picked up by Baltimore, (who has recently cut their other kicker) and after preseason went right into the UFL, where he kicked a championship game winner. I don't know how good Gano will be, but I don't think he is like a lot of other re-treads out there, or Mason, who has bounced from PS to PS. Hopefully he finds a home here.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #20
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
There was a reason Mason was not with another team and I'm guessing we will see why this new kicker was not on another team. I hope I'm wrong about the new kicker but if he was any good he would have been on a team.
He was with a team, the Las Vegas UFL team. The reason that he is free is that their schedule ended early.

As a rookie he made it to the last cut with the Ravens and then signed with the UFL. He has not just been sitting around doing nothing because no one wanted him.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #21
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Gano nearly won the kicking competition vs. Hauchka or whatever his name was in Baltimore.

They probably regret the choice they made, like us.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #22
MTK
\m/

Ganther looks good, could be a real gem.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #23
warriorzpath

Quote:
I don't think this is the best way to judge a player. There's a reason why teams didn't want to pick Tom Brady the year he got drafted late by the Patriots, because ALL of the teams misjudged him. The Patriots misjudged him too when they perceived him to be a late round draft talent.

The NFL personnel evaluators misjudge players all the time.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #24
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

If Ganther plays more at RB, Cartwright can be used to return kicks. That would be a plus...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #25
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
If Ganther plays more at RB, Cartwright can be used to return kicks. That would be a plus...
I don't know I thought Thomas was just fine as a kick returner.

I hope Gano sticks around, maybe if Shanahan is hired they'll re-sign Anthony Alridge yet again and then hopefully we'll draft a running back in the 3rd (I know we need to trade for that) or 4th round...could someone like Jahvid Best or Jonathan Dwyer slip there and be our lead back of the future?
Old 12-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #26
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I hope Gano sticks around, maybe if Shanahan is hired they'll re-sign Anthony Alridge yet again and then hopefully we'll draft a running back in the 3rd (I know we need to trade for that) or 4th round...could someone like Jahvid Best or Jonathan Dwyer slip there and be our lead back of the future?
definitly stick with dt let's see what he has back there.

did we resign him today i saw somthing in another post but didn't find anything anywehre else

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #27
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:

I thought Best was pretty much regarded as 1st or 2nd round material. Dwyer I don't know how high he's projected but I could easily see him in those rounds if he doesn't have a great 40 at the combine. HE's a big guy & makes some big plays but not sure if he's got the speed to get drafted that high.

A rb that might be great value is Blount from Oregon. He was projected as a 2nd round pick before he punched that B. State dude & got suspended. If he falls to the 4th he'd be great value. He's built like Dwyer but seems to have greater burst.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #28
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
definitly stick with dt let's see what he has back there.

did we resign him today i saw somthing in another post but didn't find anything anywehre else
You know after I wrote my post I saw that yes we did sign him to the practice squad
Old 12-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #29
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
You know after I wrote my post I saw that yes we did sign him to the practice squad
i'm not familiar with any other teams ps and before this year didn't even know that much about ours, but we have to be close to a record number of guys on and off a roster this year

and i'm glad to see aldridge back. he is the kinda of back i want to see us use more often a quick speedy change the pace kind of guy, i hope he sticks around

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #30
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Kickers seem to have a much less linear path to success (no pun intended) than most positions outside of qb. Some seem to struggle & then find their groove, only to lose it again. Seems like its the position w/the highest turnover in the nfl. ONly a handful of teams have kept kickers long term in the salary cap era.

Remember that Norvell cut David Akers, who then went on to Philly & has had quite a career since.

With Gano, I hope he's at that point that he starts to find his groove. He's got a 3 year deal w/1 guaranteed so he'll have his chances this year & next.