Tech Question

Parking Lot

Old 08-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #16
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: Tech Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
She's tried my iPad several times, she's just not a fan.

Thinking about a chromebox, anyone have any thoughts on those?

The Mrs and I just gave one of these to my grandson starting high school ,he seems to like it .

Toshiba Satellite Radius 11 2in1 11.6" TouchScreen Laptop Intel Celeron 4GB Memory 500GB Hard Drive Gold L15W-B1302 - Best Buy

Advertisements
Old 08-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #17
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
She's tried my iPad several times, she's just not a fan.

Thinking about a chromebox, anyone have any thoughts on those?
Problem is you have got to run the Chrome OS, not Windows. May not be an issue if you're just checking e-mail and surfing. My GF has the Chromebook and loves it. It's fast, simple, easy to use, etc.

Another option is instead of buying a new laptop, spend $75 bucks on a 128GB SSD and clone kit and upgrade a 3-5 year old one.

It's funny how all these years we think the bottle neck is the processor, ram, etc... but you switch out a HDD with a SSD, you'll be floored by the results. Easy as hell to do also, and you don't have to make any changes to the existing machine. It just clones the current HD to the new one, you swap em out, and you are done.

Good luck.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #18
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
Problem is you have got to run the Chrome OS, not Windows. May not be an issue if you're just checking e-mail and surfing. My GF has the Chromebook and loves it. It's fast, simple, easy to use, etc.

Another option is instead of buying a new laptop, spend $75 bucks on a 128GB SSD and clone kit and upgrade a 3-5 year old one.

It's funny how all these years we think the bottle neck is the processor, ram, etc... but you switch out a HDD with a SSD, you'll be floored by the results. Easy as hell to do also, and you don't have to make any changes to the existing machine. It just clones the current HD to the new one, you swap em out, and you are done.

Good luck.
This. If you have a fairly modern PC, installing this will make it faster than when you first bought it.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:24 PM   #19
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post

Good luck.
Careful on the "easy" part here. I bought a laptop with a hybrid drive because it was an awesome deal. Replacing the HD was not due to the design of the laptop. If you can get to the HD, easy as cake. When I was an intern I received fantastic advice... the hardest part of fixing a computer is getting into the case.

As far as an iPad, or tablets in general. They're okay for some tasks. If Matty's mom plans on doing much typing, it's a PITA. I'm not a big fan of tablets in general, I see them phasing out. That said, something like the surface may be a good compromise. It has some decent power. It's light and compact. It also has a nice physical keyboard that doubles as a cover. iPads may have the same accessories. The positive thing with the surface is the same code used on her current box work on that, meaning she can load the office/etc she already has.

Chromebooks are good... well, they can be. Don't cheap out too much. Get her something with a nice screen. Keep in mind she won't be able to get outlook, word, etc. If it's truly just a browsing machine, it's fine. If she wants anything else out of it - I'd stay clear.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:49 PM   #20
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

If over 75% of the computer usage will be browser related, get the Chromebook/Chromebox.

If iPad typing is an issue, I have this keyboard at work and love it: K480 Keyboard – Multi-Device – Logitech

Allows to switch between 3 different devices. I have one at the office set up to control my Mac, iPad and Nexus 7 tablet.

Upgrading with SSD is a great idea if you already have the laptop available. There are a plethora of $300-400 laptops out there to choose from as well.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote