meyer to step down as gators coach

Other Sports

Old 12-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #16
12thMan
MVP

Re: meyer to step down as gators coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I don't think the cyst is the issue. He's had that for like 15 years. Sometimes he gets a headache from it, but that's rare and it's nothing serious.

I think it's heart-related. He has a heart valve disorder apparently. I wouldn't be surprised if it was brought on by all the non-stop stress and sleepless nights that come with being a big-time HC. Plus I heard earlier that he has a history of heart problems in his family.

If you remember, when Butch Davis left the Cleveland Brows, he cited the same kind of health concerns, both mentally and physically. He took some time off, got right, and now he's back.

Anyway, you said he's done with football. I strongly disagree.
Oh, I meant coaching specifically.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #17
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
Actually Strong isn't gone yet. He's coaching in the Sugar Bowl. Also, Strong has only signed a "term sheet" with Louisville, and not an actual contract. If Florida wants Strong to take over, they'll get him.
i wouldnt bet on him quitting on louisville before coaching a single game. not a good way to start out a head coaching career. and if you dont consider him gone because hes coaching the bowl game, then i guess meyer isnt gone since hes coaching the game too. point is strong is going to louisville.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:13 PM   #18
GMScud
Swearinger

The more I think about it, I'd like a guy like Charlie Strong or Dan Mullen to take the reins, or Wittingham at Utah. If Urban is going to "remain very close to the program," I think it would be best to have one of his guys coaching. An outside coach may feel undermined by Urban if he's brought in and Meyer is still walking the halls.

Urban has 5 former assistants that are head coaches in the FBS. So his coaching tree is well established. Pretty amazing considering he's only 45.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #19
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
i wouldnt bet on him quitting on louisville before coaching a single game. not a good way to start out a head coaching career. and if you dont consider him gone because hes coaching the bowl game, then i guess meyer isnt gone since hes coaching the game too. point is strong is going to louisville.
He may well end up in Louisville. My point is he has yet to sign his contract, and if Florida wanted him as HC, he'd take it over Louisville 8 days a week. He's been in Gainesville for 8 years as DC. He wouldn't have to relocate, and honestly, between the two programs, there's really no comparison. Florida is one of, if not the best program/HC job in the nation. Louisville? Ummmmm.....

Not a good way to start a coaching career you say? What's a better way to start your career as a D-I head coach? Florida or Louisville? Come on.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:19 PM   #20
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
He may well end up in Louisville. My point is he has yet to sign his contract, and if Florida wanted him as HC, he'd take it over Louisville 8 days a week. He's been in Gainesville for 8 years as DC. He wouldn't have to relocate, and honestly, between the two programs, there's really no comparison. Florida is one of, if not the best program/HC job in the nation. Louisville? Ummmmm.....

Not a good way to start a coaching career you say? What's a better way to start your career as a D-I head coach? Florida or Louisville? Come on.
yes, everyone knows florida is a million times better than louisville. it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize that. but thats a shitty thing to do to say you are the new louisville coach and then just back out a month later and go to florida. thats not how id want to build my name up.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:55 PM   #21
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
yes, everyone knows florida is a million times better than louisville. it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize that. but thats a shitty thing to do to say you are the new louisville coach and then just back out a month later and go to florida. thats not how id want to build my name up.
pretty unique circumstances here though, i doubt anyone would second guess a move like this.

gm, i feel for you man, atleast he is gonna stick with the team, i couldn't beleive when i heard his i had no idea he had anythigng like this goin on

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:02 AM   #22
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Agreed that it's not cool from Louisville's perspective. But I think you could call these extraneous circumstances. If Charlie Strong had any idea that Meyer was leaving, I'm sure he wouldn't have taken the Louisville spot so soon. The UF job is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Anyway, one thing I haven't said is I wish Urban all the best. A lot of coaches can step back and kind of be a "CEO" type guy and delegate everything in order to prolong their careers. That's just not Urban's style. He's 24/7/365, and has been that way for 9 years as a head coach. He's also always been the special teams coach, and is a viscous recruiter. He's knee deep in all things, and even sprints all around the practice field. He doesn't know how to take his foot off the gas pedal, and it's caught up with him. I wish Urban and his family nothing but the best. As a proud Gator, I am sad to see him go, and I hope he gets right health-wise. I'll never forget what he did for this program. It's great to be a Florida Gator (but sad today).
Old 12-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #23
Rajmahal33
Special Teams

The only thing that i am concerned about regarding this whole situation is the implications it has on Shanahan's availability. It could just be speculation but they are throwing his name around for the UF job. He is a gator alum, so that could be something.

Otherwise, this is a great development for the rest of the SEC and parity in college football.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #24
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajmahal33 View Post
The only thing that i am concerned about regarding this whole situation is the implications it has on Shanahan's availability. It could just be speculation but they are throwing his name around for the UF job. He is a gator alum, so that could be something.

Otherwise, this is a great development for the rest of the SEC and parity in college football.
The best coach in the country having to leave coaching for health reasons is not a "great" development by any stretch. Even his rivals will tell you that. But it is the only chance any other SEC East teams have to play in the conference championship. Lol
Old 12-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #25
Big C
Mr. Brightside

florida was going to be down some (not a lot) next year either way imo, losing spikes, tebow, probably hayden, etc. theyd challenge, but tennessee is up and coming, and georgia won the sec a couple of years ago. parity is fine.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #26
GMScud
Swearinger

Looks like he changed his mind. Turns out he will just take a one year leave of absence and return in 2011. Phew.

OC Steve Addazzio will coach in 2010. This news really made my day. Don't have a link, just heard on the radio minutes ago.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #27
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Looks like he changed his mind. Turns out he will just take a one year leave of absence and return in 2011. Phew.

OC Steve Addazzio will coach in 2010. This news really made my day. Don't have a link, just heard on the radio minutes ago.
Awesome!
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #28
TheSmurfs22
The Starter

I am not a huge fan of the Gators but I have respected Meyer and totally respect his decision. There are more important things in this world than football and he realized it.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:43 PM   #29
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

When I first heard Meyer was going to step down, my first thought was...he must have something lined up with the Chicago Bears

(kind of cool story about how Meyer recruited Ganther when he was at Utah)
Old 12-28-2009, 01:55 AM   #30
GMScud
Swearinger

He's going to be on the Florida sideline come the fall. He's big on "gut feelings," and when asked if his gut tells him he'll be the Florida coach in the fall, he said yes. He needs to work out some stress issues, but he's our coach moving forward, make no mistake.

Go Gators.