Sports Moments You Will Tell Your Kids

Other Sports

Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #16
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Re: Sports Moments You Will Tell Your Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Nice thread. Lots of good moments to choose from. I'd probably tell my kids about some Tiger moments, the 2008 Nadal vs. Federer Wimbledon Final...wait are we talking moments or rivalries?
Both really. The Manning/Brady thing just struck me. I mean, either one would be great without the other but, b/c the stars aligned properly, they end up playing each other often and in big time games which, in turn, only heightens both their legends a' la Bird/Magic.

I remember those Bird/Magic games. Man they were epic. Did you know that Bird never missed a shot and that Magic could pass the ball without even touching it? No one could guard either of them and, in game 7 of the 1984 NBA Finals, they collided in mid court and Michael Jordan sprang up from the ground where they hit.

Advertisements
Old 11-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #17
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I would have to say Tiger also. As someone said, he is so far above the field. Same with Jordan.

I guess what I was really looking for was stuff that, when you tell your teenage/young adult kids, they say "Wow! was it really as good as everybody says". The stuff the enters the cultural mythos as opposed to just the "Skins Fan" mythos. But, hey, it's all good.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #18
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Randall Cunningham was on the enemy Eagles, but I loved watching him play.

I remember seeing Randall Cunningham's 90-yard punt live too.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #19
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Aside from the heyday of the Skins, I grew up in the Era of QBs that had all kinds of passing records when the league was run-first (Montana, Elway, Marino, Moon). I also had guys like Gretsky, Jordan, Bo Jackson, Tiger Woods, who each changed the way we look at their respective sport(s).

Then there is Iron Cal, who will always been known for his solid work ethic as 2632 will never be broken, but also revolutionized a position that was mainly taken up by weak hitting guys under 6 foot tall (Cal had 400 HRs and 3000 Hits in his career, 1 of 8 players to do so to go with 2 Gold Gloves).

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #20
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Wow, forgot about Ripken!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #21
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
My son asked me last night why I had a baby picture of him in Redskin gear. Oh how badly I have failed
Failing was my wife dressing our daughter up in a skins cheerleading uniform for a party this Holloween.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #22
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Being only 23 and only having actually followed sports the past 7 years or so, I don't think I've really had a bunch of sports moment memories yet. The Redskins haven't won a superbowl since the 90's and I wasn't old enough to care then. The Orioles suck as do the Wizards again. So current DC sports lore is out of the question. I mean it was kinda cool that Jordan played for the Wizards for those handful of months but it wasn't like he was the Jordan of old, in his prime. So what's the point?

Hopefully the area teams get better within the next 10 years so I actually do have amazing stories to tell them when I have em.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #23
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I would have to say Tiger also. As someone said, he is so far above the field. Same with Jordan.

I guess what I was really looking for was stuff that, when you tell your teenage/young adult kids, they say "Wow! was it really as good as everybody says". The stuff the enters the cultural mythos as opposed to just the "Skins Fan" mythos. But, hey, it's all good.
Word. Well there are a couple other ones I think that get a bit overlooked. If my son/daughter liked boxing I would have to tell him/her about how dominant Mike Tyson was in his prime and the same for NASCAR and Jimmie Johnson right now.

And of course I'd have to tell them about Ovechkin and Ovie v. Crosby
Old 11-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #24
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Word. Well there are a couple other ones I think that get a bit overlooked. If my son/daughter liked boxing I would have to tell him/her about how dominant Mike Tyson was in his prime and the same for NASCAR and Jimmie Johnson right now.

Now that is one that stands out to me. The ear biting incident. Holyfield v. Tyson. I think that will forever go down as one of the strangest matches in boxing history.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #25
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
I was lucky enough to be at game 2 vs the Pens last year and that is an experience I'll be talking about for a long time.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #26
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:

I remember getting together at my buddies house and we all would throw in $10 and then pick numbers 1-12 for which round Mike would knock out the other guy. It sucked if you got anything over like the third round but I did win once in like the 6th round.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #27
over the mountain
Playmaker

im probably 10 years old. caps down to the flyers 3-1 in the playoff series. caps come back to force a game 7. flyers go up big, something like 5-2. the caps fight back, score 2 goals in the closing minutes with dale hunter getting a scrum goal to force OT with seconds left in a pile of players in ron hextalls crease.

OT, larry murphy slips a pass to a breakin dale hunter in open ice. he skates in alone, gives hextall alil shoulder dip then goes to the back hand and slides the puck underneath hextall. crowd goes absolutely bonkers! hextall lays motionless on his back with half his body in the net.

best moment ever besides my 3 goals against duquesne to seal a rare win for my college lacrosse team.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #28
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Yeah its weird how things change, Iron Mike went from the best heavyweight we have seen in decades to a guy who bites off ears and tattoo's his face.
Michael jackson went from the king of pop to a ..... well i wont say it. but he was the man until it all went downhill for him.
OJ, uuhh nevermind.
I thought this was interesting.The role of the Terminator was originally going to be portrayed by O. J. Simpson. But, according to (James) Cameron in 1984, "people wouldn't have believed a nice guy like O. J. playing the part of a ruthless killer." Again its crazy how things change.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #29
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

What will I tell my son. I'll tell him about everything that I can remember as long as he is interested. He will know about everything Redskins. The good and the bad as well as the consequences of going against the Redskins gene in his DNA. I don't know everything to list, but whatever comes to mind. I'll eb the old guy who when he brings up some great QB I'll tell him about Marino, Montana, Elway, Cunningham, whoever. I just can't wait to have these talks with him.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #30
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

i wont tell my kids about those but it just came to mind hearing about Mike and it just snowballed from there.