Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Report: Wizards Trade for Randy Foye and Mike Miller

Other Sports

Old 06-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #16
CooleyAsCanBe
Special Teams

Re: Report: Wizards Trade for Randy Foye and Mike Miller

I like our trade, since none of the guys we lost were going to help much, although I'll miss Stewie's antics. Only Songaila provided anything last year, and a C/F with 20 min. per game has to average more than 2.9 rebounds per game. Period. Etan's contract, with its trade kicker, was weighing us down, so exchanging it for a year of Mike Miller is a nice move. I like Foye's upside and I think he's already as good as Deshawn was when healthy and a step above Young.

Given our imbalance with so many guards, we'll be making anohter move to pick up a defense-minded and rebounding PF/C. This was already necessary going against Dwight Howard in our Division, and even moreso now with Shaq in the East. My guess is we'll trade James (he still has one year on his contract, so we can't just cut him) and another player (hopefully Deshawn, although I could see us letting go of Young) for another PF/C, maybe throwing in our 2nd rounder as well. Ideally, I'd like to see us get Camby from the Clippers, who need to get rid of a big with Griffin coming in. I think Camby's still got another good year in him and he'd be a great player for McGee to learn from with their similar body types and the fact that Camby's consistently been from one of the best defender's in the league.

It turns out that we tried to include Deshawn in the Foye/Miller trade, but Minnesota wouldn't take him and insisted on Songaila.

Advertisements
Old 06-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #17
GMScud
Swearinger

Not really sure why we drafted another guard. I like the kid from UCF, but after just trading for Foye, we've got a logjam at guard. I would have liked to see us nab DeJuan Blair. A big body to add some beef in the low post, and we passed on him. I think he'll be a lot like Big Baby Davis as an NBA player.

Hell, DaJuan Summers would have been a solid pick too. 6-9 240.

Last edited by GMScud; 06-25-2009 at 10:46 PM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #18
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

We just traded that pick to the Rockets for cash
Old 06-25-2009, 11:30 PM   #19
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
We just traded that pick to the Rockets for cash
What does that mean exactly? Do they literally cut us a check? There were a few players available who could have been possible contributors for us. DeJuan Blair is a beast on the glass. I'm scratching my head a bit on this one, although I have faith in Ernie.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #20
CooleyAsCanBe
Special Teams

Yeah, we are literally given cash for the player.

I would have preferred taking DeJuan Blair, since as a second rounder he'd have had a contract starting at less than $1 million and he would have filled a need with his rebounding. Selling the pick either means Abe is cheap, or, they are saving some money now for when they get a vet big (James's contract or the MLE). It's probably is a little of both, and in this economy it is tough to turn down $2.5 million. I don't see us going more than a month without picking up a solid vet C/PF.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #21
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

RUBIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We could have had a potential top flight PG which in and of itself is worth it. Look at what Paul and Williams have done for their respective teams. I still can't believe we made this deal when the reality was we had no real rush to do so. I'm not saying Rubio will definately have the impact of a CP3 but given the fact that we were picking 5th couldn't have hurt. At the same time what the hell were the T-Wolves doing drafting two passers. What are they expecting them to do pass the ball back and fourth to each other?

The T-Wolves would have had an awesome lineup with Rubio running the offense, Love and Jefferson manning the paint and Curry lining up for three pointers.

I do like though what the Grizzlies have done with their lineup. Now that Conely seems to have developed they've got an awesome front court with Gay and Mayo. By adding a presence like Thabeet they'll be able to control the paint and protect their shooters better. Marc Gasol seems like a nice down low player though obviously not a game changer like his brother but still nice. All they lack now is a consistent down low offensive player to compliment Thabeet's grunt work.

The most interesting acquisition though might have been the Magic. Assuming they keep Hedo they will have given a new meaning to spreading out a defense. If they could get Redick to play like Kyle Korver they would have taken the ridiculousness of the inside out game to a new level with Howard in the middle. Not to mention they'll have the other 4 guys starting with three point range (Nelson, Carter, Lewis, and Hedo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I would have liked it if if the Wizards had gotten one more draft pick in this trade. Still, dumping those contracts was a nice move. Should put us in good position to make a move in summer 2010 for one of the big time free agents expected to be available-Bosh, Nowitzki, Chandler?

Dirk is easily one of my favorite players but Bosh would be better long term if we could somehow get him.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 06-26-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #22
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
RUBIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We could have had a potential top flight PG which in and of itself is worth it. Look at what Paul and Williams have done for their respective teams. I still can't believe we made this deal when the reality was we had no real rush to do so. I'm not saying Rubio will definately have the impact of a CP3 but given the fact that we were picking 5th couldn't have hurt. At the same time what the hell were the T-Wolves doing drafting two passers. What are they expecting them to do pass the ball back and fourth to each other?

The T-Wolves would have had an awesome lineup with Rubio running the offense, Love and Jefferson manning the paint and Curry lining up for three pointers.

I do like though what the Grizzlies have done with their lineup. Now that Conely seems to have developed they've got an awesome front court with Gay and Mayo. By adding a presence like Thabeet they'll be able to control the paint and protect their shooters better. Marc Gasol seems like a nice down low player though obviously not a game changer like his brother but still nice. All they lack now is a consistent down low offensive player to compliment Thabeet's grunt work.

The most interesting acquisition though might have been the Magic. Assuming they keep Hedo they will have given a new meaning to spreading out a defense. If they could get Redick to play like Kyle Korver they would have taken the ridiculousness of the inside out game to a new level with Howard in the middle. Not to mention they'll have the other 4 guys starting with three point range (Nelson, Carter, Lewis, and Hedo).

Dirk is easily one of my favorite players but Bosh would be better long term if we could somehow get him.
The curse continues. I don't know that it is as bad as it seems(the trade considering Rubio ended up being there) but at the very least it shows we could have gotten more. If we're still in that spot when Rubio shows up we get more, probably way more, than what we ended up getting. Such is life for the Wizards.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #23
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
The curse continues. I don't know that it is as bad as it seems(the trade considering Rubio ended up being there) but at the very least it shows we could have gotten more. If we're still in that spot when Rubio shows up we get more, probably way more, than what we ended up getting. Such is life for the Wizards.
Well the irony is that now Rubio might not play in the NBA because he thinks that Minnesota is a hell hole.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 06-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #24
CooleyAsCanBe
Special Teams

Quote:
Well the irony is that now Rubio might not play in the NBA because he thinks that Minnesota is a hell hole.
Rubio didn't want to play in DC either. His agent, Dan Fegan, is the one Gil dropped just before signing his latest contract. Fegan publicly stated that Rubio wouldn't go to DC. Sour grapes. Knowing all this makes me not as upset about missing on Rubio, although I think it showed EG isn't quite patient enough. Our best player being a point guard also softens the blow a bit. I never was convinced that they could both be on the court at the same time and be productive.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #25
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooleyAsCanBe View Post
Rubio didn't want to play in DC either. His agent, Dan Fegan, is the one Gil dropped just before signing his latest contract. Fegan publicly stated that Rubio wouldn't go to DC. Sour grapes. Knowing all this makes me not as upset about missing on Rubio, although I think it showed EG isn't quite patient enough. Our best player being a point guard also softens the blow a bit. I never was convinced that they could both be on the court at the same time and be productive.
Is there anywhere that the did want to go?

- FRPLG
Old 07-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #26
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
He's right.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #27
JLee9718
Impact Rookie

But the Celtics keep getting stronger...They're going to sign a former Wizard shortly by way of Detroit. By the way, Detroit is giving up a lot of their talent to reduce their cap. Has anyone heard who they plan on signing?
JLee9718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #28
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee9718 View Post
But the Celtics keep getting stronger...They're going to sign a former Wizard shortly by way of Detroit. By the way, Detroit is giving up a lot of their talent to reduce their cap. Has anyone heard who they plan on signing?
Last I heard there was a Rip for Boozer trade rumor floating out there.

Will be interesting to see who if any of the four big men the Wizards are reportedly going after they will sign-Jason Collins, Magliore, Nesterovic, or Frye. Given the choice I'll go with Rasho with Frye a distant second.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #29
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee9718 View Post
Celtics might be getting Grant Hill as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing us make a run at Brandon Bass
Old 07-14-2009, 07:36 AM   #30
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Might be Oberto

Wizards offer deal to ex-Spur Oberto