Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

Parking Lot

Old 04-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #16
KLHJ2
Inactive

Re: Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

This is probably one of the slowest offseasons in recent memory. Something is wrong when the hottest topic on the Warpath is about Wal -Marts impact on rural America and small business.

I suppose next week we can float some witches and have an old fashioned book burning followed by a protest of the Devil's music commonly referred to as Rock and Roll.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #17
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Do you mean White Snake?

White Snake brings the Heavy Metal.

Solid Snake brings the Metal Gear.

Easy to confuse I guess.
I know who White Snake is I just saw Solid Snake and it sounded like another rock band name. I don't think I'd call White Snakes music heavy metal. Now my neighbors band is Heavy Metal or Speed Metal
Amazon.com: Infidel: At War: Music Amazon.com: Infidel: At War: Music
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #18
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I know who White Snake is I just saw Solid Snake and it sounded like another rock band name. I don't think I'd call White Snakes music heavy metal. Now my neighbors band is Heavy Metal or Speed Metal
Amazon.com: Infidel: At War: Music

I agree they are not really heavy metal but I was trying to tie in the metal gear.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #19
redsk1
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Lame. Where there's a need, a business will fill it. There's a reason that company does so well.

I'm all for capitalism. However, the reason why Walmart does so well is they underpay employees and put the sqeeze on-threaten manufacturers to lower prices. They've historically cut corners in HR and safety to save a buck.

Now, like i said i'm all for capitalism, but I'm also all for residents attempting to keep them out of their towns.

Walmart...bad!!!
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
It's a little of both. I hate walmart #1 because of how they treat workers and all that crap, but i kind of overlooked it because it didnt affect anyone that i know.

#2 I want to see the mom and pop stores survive but you know they wont. That's personal to me. Walmart will drive them out, that's been their MO since day 1.

F walmart. I'd like a moderator to change the thread title.
But then I might have to merge it with this thread

http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lo...al-mart-2.html

and that's too much work for voluntary mod camps. Until I get a new contract, I'm slackin' it!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #21
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
I'm all for capitalism. However, the reason why Walmart does so well is they underpay employees and put the sqeeze on-threaten manufacturers to lower prices. They've historically cut corners in HR and safety to save a buck.

Now, like i said i'm all for capitalism, but I'm also all for residents attempting to keep them out of their towns.

Walmart...bad!!!
How can you underpay someone for holding an item with a UPC barcode to a scanner and then reading the total cost of purchases from a digital display to the customer? How much should one make for neatly stacking tin cans?

By the way, I worked at the local Walmart in my early years.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #22
redsk1
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
How can you underpay someone for holding an item with a UPC barcode to a scanner and then reading the total cost of purchases from a digital display to the customer? How much should one make for neatly stacking tin cans?

By the way, I worked at the local Walmart in my early years.
I should have said Walmart has been historically known to not only not pay very well but also not offer the best benefit package too.

Basically, they've got a bad rep as a boss.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #23
dmek25
MVP

like the argument with the chicken and the egg. is it better to have NO job, or work at Walmart, with crappy benefits and small pay?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #24
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Walmart's slogan is Save Money, Live Better. While some see a Walmart moving into their town as a intrusion others view it as a life line. Poorer people cant shop at Mom and Pop stores because they cost too much and because taking a bus to multiple stores around town and walking miles to get everything they need will erode their weekends. Walmart also provides tons of jobs for people who would otherwise struggle to find continues work. It may not be someplace where you may be willing to work but it’s a opportunity for a less fortunate person.

People shop at Walmart for its convince, but also to save money and in turn increase their quality of life. Why shouldn’t poor people be able to afford nice things too?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #25
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
I should have said Walmart has been historically known to not only not pay very well but also not offer the best benefit package too.

Basically, they've got a bad rep as a boss.
Then apply somewhere else.

Some people just need to work, period. Beggers can't be choosers.

Besides, most of their employees are kids who need gas/cellphone cash, retired people looking for something to do in their free time or people who can barely speak English.

Retail stores are not meant to be careers nor should anyone expect benefits from them. In college, I worked in a nice hotel without ANY insurance or benefits beyond a discount and free coffee. I worked hard and made myself better and got what I wanted from an employer. If I lost my jobs and could only get a job temporaily at Walmart (hope this NEVER happens), I wouldn't be whining about benefits, I'd work to get myself out of there.

I have no issue with the store paying whatever they can or need to to get positions filled, it is how they keep the costs down. If the workers want better benefits, the company will have to take it out of their pay or get rid of some of them from the increased prices and lower revenue.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #26
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
TTE is already filed in the FBI logs under Chihuahua. Lots of barking no bite.
Perhaps you're right. IMO, the number one rule to committing a crime, is to not tell anyone about it. I'm just saying . . .
Old 04-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #27
dmek25
MVP

more like hot air balloon. lots and lots of hot air.....
Old 04-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #28
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Then apply somewhere else.

Some people just need to work, period. Beggers can't be choosers.

Besides, most of their employees are kids who need gas/cellphone cash, retired people looking for something to do in their free time or people who can barely speak English.

Retail stores are not meant to be careers nor should anyone expect benefits from them. In college, I worked in a nice hotel without ANY insurance or benefits beyond a discount and free coffee. I worked hard and made myself better and got what I wanted from an employer. If I lost my jobs and could only get a job temporaily at Walmart (hope this NEVER happens), I wouldn't be whining about benefits, I'd work to get myself out of there.

I have no issue with the store paying whatever they can or need to to get positions filled, it is how they keep the costs down. If the workers want better benefits, the company will have to take it out of their pay or get rid of some of them from the increased prices and lower revenue.
Buster not sure how old you are but at one time working at these large retail stores (Sears, JC Penny's) you could make it a decent career. I know several older people who work at Sears and made decent money and had a nice pension plan. Then stores like WM and Kmart opened up and started expanding all this changed. These stores only hired part time people so they could sell items much cheaper so places like Sears and JCP almost went belly up back in the 80's. Now look at the people working at these two stores and you will see they now offer fewer benfits and hire the cheaper part time workers so WM and Kmart really changed the retail business.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #29
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
But then I might have to merge it with this thread

http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lo...al-mart-2.html

and that's too much work for voluntary mod camps. Until I get a new contract, I'm slackin' it!
I thought this topic sounded familiar, ah well, F... voluntary mod camps. Oughta cut the whole da**lotta y'all. And put in a Mod Supercenter in your place! We just go through the fast-edit lane and make all the changes we want, at low a** bandwidth! MattyK is on vacation, all we gotta do is throw a molatov under Smootsmack's a** and this dang path is ours!

Whose with me?

Anyone

Anyone?

alrighty then never mind.

Mods are great, wonderful. Thank you Mods
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #30
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Buster not sure how old you are but at one time working at these large retail stores (Sears, JC Penny's) you could make it a decent career. I know several older people who work at Sears and made decent money and had a nice pension plan. Then stores like WM and Kmart opened up and started expanding all this changed. These stores only hired part time people so they could sell items much cheaper so places like Sears and JCP almost went belly up back in the 80's. Now look at the people working at these two stores and you will see they now offer fewer benfits and hire the cheaper part time workers so WM and Kmart really changed the retail business.
I've heard friends of mine tell me that exact same thing.

My ex girlfriend's mother worked at JC Penny's for 18 years as a cashier...no promotions or anything, but she did have benefits and a steady full-time job.

Now you are exactly right. Stores would rather staff with strictly low paid part-timers than have to pay people for 40 hours + benefits.