Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

1991 Washington Redskins

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #16
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Re: 1991 Washington Redskins

Yep same here I was 13. I loved that team, watcing last night brought back the memories of watching the games with a group of people my mom used to have over for all the games. It was so incredible. Loved every minute of it. I miss those childhood teams, I think if we win one again I would shed a tear. Awesome being on top as a fan.

Advertisements
Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #17
Defensewins
Playmaker

I am feeling really old....83 Sb was my senior year in High School. 87 Sb was my senior year in college. 92 was icing on the cake. Man it was a great time to be a Redskins fan.
What really made it cool was those teams won with class and humility. Something that is lost with today's players.
On yesterdays NFL network show, it felt like most of the credit was given to Rypien, WR's and passing game. It was clear to all of the Redskins fans back then that the Hogs and the running game were the true back bone of the team. But I understand for TV ratings and today's fans that only care about the passing game, long completions and scoring , you have to sell that for ratings. We used to say in 92 that while steppng back to pass, Rypien could eat ham sandwich and not get touched. That line was out of this world.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #18
MTK
\m/

Hard to believe we're coming up on the 20th anniversary of that team. Wow where does the time go? As fans we really got spoiled back then. 4 SB appearances in 10 years, 3 wins, a team that was regularly in the hunt year in and year out. Good times.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #19
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
9 here... but then again most people don't know anything but who their team is at that age

I was already playing.. RG, RT, TE, NT in a 3 or 5 front, DT, DE, LB, S, and FB at that age so I understood the basics of a lot of positions and could appreciate a lot of the different players.. my faves early on being Jacoby and Grimm.. btw it's burgUndy
Yeah, I was 10 and unfortunately I wasn't into football nearly as much as I am now so I didn't really appreciate it; again, I was 10 years old.
But, I did go to Art Monk's football camp at Western Maryland College (now McDaniel College) the summers before and after this season so I got to meet a bunch of these guys and that will stick with me forever. Actually I've mentioned it here before but my UserID comes from a warm up drill we had to do at the start of every practice session.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #20
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Hulu - America's Game: 1991 Washington Redskins - Watch the full episode now.

if u ever want to watch it, here it is, always on Hulu
Old 07-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #21
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Yeah, I was 10 and unfortunately I wasn't into football nearly as much as I am now so I didn't really appreciate it; again, I was 10 years old.
But, I did go to Art Monk's football camp at Western Maryland College (now McDaniel College) the summers before and after this season so I got to meet a bunch of these guys and that will stick with me forever. Actually I've mentioned it here before but my UserID comes from a warm up drill we had to do at the start of every practice session.

Now that is very cool.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #22
SouperMeister
Playmaker

That year was the greatest Redskins team ever. But for Gibbs benching most of the starters in the 2nd half of the last regular season game, the Skins D would have yielded the fewest points while the O scored the most. That has been done very few times in league history.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #23
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

I wonder if anyone has asked Charles Mann which SB team he thought was better, the 1991 Washington Redskins or the 1994 San Francisco 49ers since he won super bowls with both. I'm curious to know.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #24
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I wonder if anyone has asked Charles Mann which SB team he thought was better, the 1991 Washington Redskins or the 1994 San Francisco 49ers since he won super bowls with both. I'm curious to know.
He made a comment on the show as he was talking about his ring. He said the ring makes him think of a QB...Mark Rypien, who had overcome a lot and carried the team. He then said it makes him think of the best team to ever win a Super Bowl.

Sure it was on a show about the Redskins, so he'll show bias on that episode, but I remember watching that team...they were unstoppable. They embarrassed the Lions (NFC championship that year) 45-0 in Week 2 , the Falcons (NFC Divisional playoff opponent) 56-17 during the season. They came back from down 11 against Aikman/Smith/Irvin's Cowboys to win 33-31, they had so many blowouts and shutouts and dominated on both sides of the ball.

They were amazing that season and nearly went undefeated. I was only in 7th grade but I remember it all so clearly because it was so exciting to watch.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #25
InsaneBoost
The Starter

I was three when we won the last Super Bowl. I'm just stuck with a couple playoff wins and off season champs titles.

InsaneBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #26
Leader In Sports
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Yes, I talked to him about it. The man is very proud of the win with the 49ers, but he is a Redskin through and through.

Don't forget, he won 2 with the Redskins and one with the 49ers. First time I did a signing with him, I asked him to write the inscription 2x Super Bowl Champ on some jerseys. He pointed out to me he won 3. He did write the 2x since it was on Redskins jerseys.
Leader In Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #27
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Yeah I was four, so I don't remember anything beside the win against Detroit and Tampa Bay.

I vividly remember the remorse after the lost to TB the year we beat the Lions.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #28
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader In Sports View Post
Yes, I talked to him about it. The man is very proud of the win with the 49ers, but he is a Redskin through and through.

Don't forget, he won 2 with the Redskins and one with the 49ers. First time I did a signing with him, I asked him to write the inscription 2x Super Bowl Champ on some jerseys. He pointed out to me he won 3. He did write the 2x since it was on Redskins jerseys.
I know he won 2 SB with the skins, but would really like to know if he thought the Skins or the 49ers were the better team. Both teams were great, the 49ers had Deion, Ricky Jackson, Mann, Rice, young etc. I would say the skins were the better team.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #29
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I'm feeling old. '91 was my first year in college. Definitely a very memorable year for a lot of reasons.
I was 27 when they won the SB. My dad won tickets to the regular season game when we blew out the falcons. I drove 13 hours coming home from Disney World (my oldest daughter was 6 at the time) and I dropped her off at my parents and went to my best friends bachelor party. Stayed up until 3am and had to be on a bus to DC at 6am and I don't even know why I went to bed. We went out in old Alexandria that night and got home around 2am and had to catch the bus to the game at around 10:30. Went to the game and started drinking again and me and my dad had a blast. I did slap high five to Garry Clark after on of his TDs and it seemed they all took place in our end zone.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #30
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I was 27 when they won the SB. My dad won tickets to the regular season game when we blew out the falcons. I drove 13 hours coming home from Disney World (my oldest daughter was 6 at the time) and I dropped her off at my parents and went to my best friends bachelor party. Stayed up until 3am and had to be on a bus to DC at 6am and I don't even know why I went to bed. We went out in old Alexandria that night and got home around 2am and had to catch the bus to the game at around 10:30. Went to the game and started drinking again and me and my dad had a blast. I did slap high five to Garry Clark after on of his TDs and it seemed they all took place in our end zone.
After a night like that and then blending the night to game day ( which i did in 2005 when we played the Chargers and LT postered Ryan Clark to score in ot ) I am sure it seemed as though that everything took place where you were! At least you got to watch them win, I did get go to the Giants Christmas Eve game the same year and saw Santana light them up the whole game. He scored twice in front of me that game. One of his best as a Skin ( other than the Dallas Monday Night Thriller the same year ). But blending late nights into game day is AWESOME!